Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
roivas yromem eerf lla
2,484 Posts
Meditation, focus on my thoughts and hear where there coming from and give them a hug. And then showing it peace of mind clearing my head and see the beauty in everything. Taking it all in then exhale. It does things I doubt any pill could do. Like a natural high.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Accepting it and seeing what I can and can't improve on.

Also video games has helped relieve my SA stress levels too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Meditating, Uplifting music, Regular vigorous exercise for upto an hour at a time. and reading up on psychology have helped well. ive yet to try medication but that is a last resort. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Music. The right music, at the right time.

Exercise. Don't do it enough but it does make you feel better about yourself.

Meditation of some kind, mixture of deep thought, relaxation and acceptance.

This forum. Reading a lot of other people's experiences helps greatly. Sometimes others put your exact feelings into words so well and the resulting conversation is my therapy.

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
This forum by far has been the biggest help.

A lot good advice, as well as just finally knowing there are other people going through what I am going through.

Medication took the edge off for awhile but I really think I needed a good therapist, which I did not have one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Definitely my faith. It has gotten me through the darkest times. And listening to Christian music keeps my mood up.

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
Accepting it, having a job that provides exposure, cbt, eating right and exercising :/

·
Registered
77 Posts
This forum by far has been the biggest help.

A lot good advice, as well as just finally knowing there are other people going through what I am going through.

Medication took the edge off for awhile but I really think I needed a good therapist, which I did not have one.
This has been a big help for me as well, but in particular seeing other people in the same situation with a lot of the same problems keeping their spirits up and trying to have a positive outlook.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Therapy?A book?Meds?

What has been one of the most significant factors for you in overcoming social anxiety?
Having one person that cares about me, looks out for me, and has intimacy/sex with me has been the most helpful over the long-term. Over the short term, medicine also helped. Surrounding/limiting myself to "anxiety-friendly" environments also helped (e.g. having more manageable/less stressful work, hanging out with fewer but more accepting/less judgemental and less outgoing people, etc.).

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Look up relaxation response and biofeedback also exercises and diet can helps too, if you look better you would feel better and healthier extra weight can be harder on your body maybe causing anxiety i know for sure it can effect blood pressure so does anxiety so maybe there a link

·
Registered
82 Posts
Books on cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) helped me the most. Books that helped me change my unrealistic anxious thoughts into more realistic positive ones. My favorite is 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook' by Edmund Bourne. I was using it 8-10 years ago, so there might be something more up to date now. My advice with any book is do the exercises. You can read 100 books and know everything about SA, but if you dont do the exercises its meaninless.

Excercise helped a great deal. Ive heard it promotes serotonin levels in the brain which is what many of the meds do.

I met with a therapist for awhile which was helpful.

I took Paxil for a year. Most of my progress was with the cbt and exercise. I dont know if I would have been able to get off the meds as successfully if I didnt have the cbt to back it up.

Chris

·
Fabulously Awkward
733 Posts
Just ... time. And persistence.
I haven't completely overcome it yet, but I have improved a lot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
exposure through job
accepting there is no perfect definition of social/realizing that not every time I am anxious should I fret
books/readings of all kinds
exposure through some recreation sports
some openness with family
observing other people (who I assume are normal)

I am still overcoming it, but as for what I have managed to overcome these have been all big positives.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Talking about it, on here and with a counselor, really helped me understand the problem and come up with ways to tackle it. Once I gained more of an understanding of myself and the cause of my anxiety I was able to go out and start making positive changes. I've only taken small steps so far but they've made a huge difference just because I'm more confident that I can continue to overcome it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts