Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
................:eek:
I'm sure I'm laying my ignorance out in the open by asking this but when someone says "I like memes" what do they mean?

I'm familiar with the word 'meme' from Richard Dawkin's books, where he uses it to explain how an idea or behavioural trait (like religion or a popular joke) can propagate through a society in a similar manner to how a genetic trait can disseminate through a species.

But does meme have some meaning of its own on the internet? I see it used on funny picture sites for instance. Does it refer to popular gifs?

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
................:eek:
I'm sure I'm laying my ignorance out in the open by asking this but when someone says "I like memes" what do they mean?

I'm familiar with the word 'meme' from Richard Dawkin's books, where he uses it to explain how an idea or behavioural trait (like religion or a popular joke) can propagate through a society in a similar manner to how a genetic trait can disseminate through a species.

But does meme have some meaning of its own on the internet? I see it used on funny picture sites for instance. Does it refer to popular gifs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah it is just the Dawkin's meaning but applied to internet ideas then. That's what I originally assumed, but I just got confused because I've seen people on the internet, on this forum in fact, using the word in strange contexts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose also, the following annoying words and phrases could qualify as memes;

"Fail"
"Epic Fail"
"........... much?", e.g If somebody is angry one might reply "Angry much?", even though it displays some grammatical 'abnormalities'.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I'm confused! Who's just trying to be funny and who's trying to explain :cry
Don't feel bad, I didn't know what one was until recently either. Being part of this site really does help keep me updated on the latest internet fads.

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
I think [user name edited out] was banned for using some very funny froggy meme's ... just a few weeks ago.. :(

Examples of a meme :

Taken a random pic and using what you 'think' the guy is saying or what he looks like he is saying...

Anther example :

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the ones that I learned to like are those which I have encountered on digg and reddit:

"but can it run crysis"

"in soviet russia jokes"

"I, for one, welcome our ... overlords" (original quote from simpsons: "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords")

"it's a trap"

"i accidentally the whole thing"

"all your base are belong to us"

"ORLY?"

if I don't see them on digg or reddit or slashdot, than I try not to get a hold of my mind much...

the only advice, about this topic that I can give you, is... just stay away from it... you'll be much saner in the end, while every one else will just succumb to this madness and everything that goes with it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts