Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 791 Posts

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right! I've been pondering starting this thread for ages but never had the guts. Here it goes.

Similar to its namesake thread, this thread is for typing what you're thinking about, EXCEPT the theme is creativity. Type what you're thinking about whatever creative/artistic endeavor you happen to be engaged in. Writing, poetry, screenplays, film, music, dance, photography, arts (any kind), crafts, design, whatever medium you use, whatever you're thinking about it, share it here. :smile2:

This is not a thread to ask for criticism on your latest project. You CAN feel free to share any art or writing or poetry or lyrics or whatever you like!...but please don't expect other users to critique it or to respond unless they offer to. If you're looking for critique, it would be good to start your own thread or post in another thread for that purpose.

This also isn't a thread to chatter about OTHER people's creative works (for example, famous art or published books)--that would belong better in the Entertainment section--BUT, feel free to talk about these if they have a bearing or influence on YOUR works. For example, if you're writing a fanfic, or if somebody's book or song or painting inspired you to create your own and you want to give some background info, please do. (It's always fascinating to learn about inspiration!)

Obviously I have no say over what does or doesn't get posted here, just providing some guidelines so the purpose of the thread is understood.

...And now I imagine I'll be in here talking to myself. ;_; But oh well...the thread is here for anyone who wants to use it!

·
28,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I'm thinking about right now...working on the DID story I've been sporadically posting to the site. I really want to add some to it but I'm stuck. I know certain events I want to happen since this story has been in my head for years, but I don't know the order of them all (originally this was supposed to be a bunch of different novels), and I don't know how to pick up where I left off. Transitioning from one story event to another has become troublesome, since, as I said, this wasn't originally meant to be just ONE story.

And now I've wasted the night posting this thread, instead. :serious:

I just feel frustrated when I FINALLY have the time and inclination to write something but I just have no clue where to start or continue. :/

Okay, goodnight.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Did not practice guitar today. Must practice extra tomorrow!!!

To be fair though, I was in NYC at a museum so there we go, I was absorbing and experiencing enough creativity today. :teeth I was just too tired when I got home to not relax and watch videos...

Since I'm a complete beginner though, it is pretty essential that I practice every day.

I will from now on. :crying:

·
Professional Flop
3,486 Posts
I don't know if this counts but i've spent the last 30 minutes browsing the copyright database digging around to see if my favorite artists had recently submitted anything new for copyright.

That's creative right? Obsessive but creative :b

·
28,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While trying to doze I also tried brainstorming some ideas of where I want this story to go. Got a few thoughts. I imagine another time skip (since it's apparently lots of different intended novels combined into this one...whatever this thing is I'm writing, it's going to have time skips), but oh well, I never claimed it was high literature. :/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did not practice guitar today. Must practice extra tomorrow!!!

To be fair though, I was in NYC at a museum so there we go, I was absorbing and experiencing enough creativity today. :teeth I was just too tired when I got home to not relax and watch videos...

Since I'm a complete beginner though, it is pretty essential that I practice every day.

I will from now on. :crying:
I've recently started to learn guitar also! At first my fingers were crying from the pain but I think I've got used to it now.

I've learnt some chords and am trying to play Wonderwall. My neighbours have to put up with my slow, noisy progress heh.

But yeah, practising every day is a must but can be really hard!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've recently started to learn guitar also! At first my fingers were crying from the pain but I think I've got used to it now.

I've learnt some chords and am trying to play Wonderwall. My neighbours have to put up with my slow, noisy progress heh.

But yeah, practising every day is a must but can be really hard!
Agreed, my fingers hurt so bad. Everyone says their fingers are sore at first. I was told to take a break and run them under lukewarm water if it hurts, I haven't done that yet I'm just trying to get used to it and push through the pain lmao.

I want to learn to play Cath by Death Cab. I need to learn chords still haha. Switching between them, too. You're much farther ahead than me! Good luck keep on practicing. :)

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,022 Posts
Agreed, my fingers hurt so bad. Everyone says their fingers are sore at first. I was told to take a break and run them under lukewarm water if it hurts, I haven't done that yet I'm just trying to get used to it and push through the pain lmao.

I want to learn to play Cath by Death Cab. I need to learn chords still haha. Switching between them, too. You're much farther ahead than me! Good luck keep on practicing. :)
Yeah I remember that when I used to play the guitar years ago, after a while they just kind of become numb lol.

·
I'll reverse your reverb
3,240 Posts

Wait till you get to the peeling calluses. :laugh:

Got enough tubes of hand lotion to hand out to every self-proclaimed forever alone guy on here to do their business.

·
I'll reverse your reverb
3,240 Posts
I have all these great ideas that can theoretically have potential to sell, but I lack the artistic talent to execute them even half well. What a let down. I'm thinking about publishing a book sometime by the end of this year, but I'm going to need an artist to help me with the illustrations.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have all these great ideas that can theoretically have potential to sell, but I lack the artistic talent to execute them even half well. What a let down. I'm thinking about publishing a book sometime by the end of this year, but I'm going to need an artist to help me with the illustrations.
What kind of book is it since you need illustrations? Children's book?

·
28,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of book is it since you need illustrations? Children's book?
I'm curious about what type of book it is, too. :blush

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
I've been thinking about the next chapter of one of my sadly now very rarely updated fanfics. Like most of them, it's set in a girls' boarding school, and related to the Chalet School childrens book series that has a fairly huge worldwide fanbase. Though unfortunately, it's not just me who isn't writing much fanfiction for it any more (there used to be lots of activity) and I very much doubt anyone on here has heard of the series, let alone read any of the books.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Well here we go, time to out myself as having no business posting in this section of the forum
Not posting that for critique, though that's certainly welcome. I'm posting that to give context to my "what I'm thinking about." What I'm thinking about is why I'm wasting my time, and whether people without natural talent can actually learn art. I want a creative outlet for my thoughts and visual representation is what I'm drawn to rather than music or words, but I'm not sure I have the capacity to actually learn to draw. It is really painful, to flip through the last 100 pages of my sketchbook, and see that it just won't click. Even watching someone else draw and copying what they do as they do it, I can't make my pencil do what they're doing. I just don't know if I should continue pursuing this or find a different medium.

·

2,910 Posts
Well here we go, time to out myself as having no business posting in this section of the forum
Not posting that for critique, though that's certainly welcome. I'm posting that to give context to my "what I'm thinking about." What I'm thinking about is why I'm wasting my time, and whether people without natural talent can actually learn art. I want a creative outlet for my thoughts and visual representation is what I'm drawn to rather than music or words, but I'm not sure I have the capacity to actually learn to draw. It is really painful, to flip through the last 100 pages of my sketchbook, and see that it just won't click. Even watching someone else draw and copying what they do as they do it, I can't make my pencil do what they're doing. I just don't know if I should continue pursuing this or find a different medium.
What!! That looks great! Of course there are people with natural talent but I feel like the majority of great artists learnt through trial and error and practice, lots of practice. I'm not a great artist or anything but if you saw my progress through the years it's still substantial. It's actually irritating when people compliment me by saying I'm naturally talented because I'm not. I guess what I'm trying to say is that art is more practice and honing than anything in my experience.

Getting back to the point, if you enjoy the idea of drawing and you have a passion for it then keep at it! Maybe try different mediums and genres, if it truly doesn't resonate with you. I find that I enjoy digital and oil/acrylic painting the most because when it "doesn't click" I just keep going over it until it does.

·
Banned
599 Posts
What!! That looks great! Of course there are people with natural talent but I feel like the majority of great artists learnt through trial and error and practice, lots of practice. I'm not a great artist or anything but if you saw my progress through the years it's still substantial. It's actually irritating when people compliment me by saying I'm naturally talented because I'm not. I guess what I'm trying to say is that art is more practice and honing than anything in my experience.

Getting back to the point, if you enjoy the idea of drawing and you have a passion for it then keep at it! Maybe try different mediums and genres, if it truly doesn't resonate with you. I find that I enjoy digital and oil/acrylic painting the most because when it "doesn't click" I just keep going over it until it does.
I'd love to see before and after pictures if that's something you have.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'd like to sit around and write some music. I can never just write for a couple hours though and I have too much to do today.

1 - 20 of 791 Posts