Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the scenarios below and state what your physical reaction would be (and/or thought process). Post your response before reading other posts just so that it's 100% unmuddled by other people's responses.

1. Walking out of your house on an average day (morning)

2. Having the person sitting next to you on the bus start a conversation

3. Being yelled at by a superior (work or school) for something you did wrong

4. Giving a presentation in front of coworkers/classmates

5. Asking a stranger for directions

6. Seeing a person you kinda know walk towards you on the street

7. Asking a teacher for help with something

8. Talking to your family

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

--tentative optimism, until i see someone. General anxiety settles in, feeling of mistrust. Emotionally and intellectully isolate myself, pretend i am the only person waiting for the bus, etc.

--sinking feeling of dread, slow panic creeping up, utter a monosyllabic response. I would probably get off the bus even if it wasn't my stop, and then spend the next hour agonizing over whether they knew i got off because of them.

immediate face blush, feel very depressed and just absoloutely crushed. Slight anger, get very dizzy, kind of out-of-this-world feeling (ha that sounds like its good), probably strt fighting back tears (i am crushed under even slight criticism)

Assuming i haven't found some way out of it, every time i think about it prior to, i'd get sweaty, chills and hot, dizzy, stomache ache, that (gross but true) im going to **** my pants feeling, nauseous, deep sense of dread. I usually can't think abut it beforehand without- i mean i am feeling this right now just typing this. Before presentation= fullblown panic attack. during presentation= all of the prior-to symptoms, plus shaky voice and shaky hands and sticky voice and retarded brain that is incapable of thinknig.

wouldn't happen. I have been lost in cities 100's of km from my home and i have just wandered for hours, fighting back tears, until i finally work it out. There's a reaosn i'm obsessive about knowing where i am going.

probably go into the nearest store or cross the street. If i have to pass by them, i'll look of to the side and concentrate on not being seen. I will feel intense panic and sweatiness ad probably blush as they near and pass, as well as mounting anxiety. If they tlk, i will say hi quickly and with a tight smile, and freak out for the next while over that small interaction.

haven't done this since grade 8. When i've tried i panic, feel dizzy and nauseos, and blush and get sweaty and get tongue-tied. It fails.

Sometimes i feel totally anxety-free. A lot of the tie, especially if i am stressed, i can only handle being around 1 at a time, otherwise i am super sensitive to any move they make or any sound they produce and it stresse me out. Sometimes i freak out talking to them, and get tongue-tied (that scares me.)

·
Registered
289 Posts

Alone? If yes, pretty anxious. I do what ever it is I need to do fast and come back home asap.

I am okay with this as long as they don't ask too many personal questions. You get this a lot when you have a young child, so I got used to it.

Completely humiliated. Would probably lock myself in the washroom for quite some time and have a major cry. It would be really hard for me to go back to what I need to do. If the situation were bad enough, I might even leave and go home.

Can't do it. Just can't. I would have made this clear beforehand. I have gotten doctors notes to get out of these many times because my reactions are so severe that I can't do the presentation anyway. Nothing keeps me calm enough.

Depends on the day. Some days, in some situations I can do this, but more than likely I get my husband to do it. If he weren't with me, I would likely just call him and ask him rather than ask a stranger.

6. Seeing a person you barely know walk towards you on the street

Avoid and not make eye contact so I won't have to speak to them.

I can do this just fine-- but only when I don't feel like I am the only one needing help, and so long as I don't feel the class is looking at me. Otherwise I just will not ask.

No issues with this at all. Though if I am in a big group of them I tend to be very quiet. That may have more to do with the fact that my voice is quiet though so I feel I can't be heard and have just learned to not bother, you know?

·
SnotRocketTime
404 Posts
Read the scenarios below and state what your physical reaction would be (and/or thought process). Post your response before reading other posts just so that it's 100% unmuddled by other people's responses.

1. Walking out of your house on an average day (morning) early morn i will just walk out. later in the day i will look out the window a few times and wait until i see no one out there.

2. Having the person sitting next to you on the bus start a conversation depends what type of person it is. but still i'd talk to them if they started it.

3. Being yelled at by a superior (work or school) for something you did wrong i'd roll my eyes and tell them why whatever happened happened.

4. Giving a presentation in front of coworkers/classmates n/a

5. Asking a stranger for directions if i'm really screwed i'll ask

6. Seeing a person you kinda know walk towards you on the street unless we make eye contact i'll try and dodge them.

7. Asking a teacher for help with something n/a

8. Talking to your family i'll talk to them if i feel like it.
Sooo yeah.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Not really a problem unless I have the misfortune of having to walk by one of the resident backwards-cap-wearing, pickup-driving frat boy (or sorority girl) types in my apartment complex. In that case, I fix my eyes on something, anything, off in the distance and pretend they don't exist as I walk by, all the while just knowing they're thinking "WTF is this joke doing here? Is he even old enough to be in college?"

I'd probably be either annoyed, intimidated, or both, depending upon who it is and what they say. I'd politely respond to whatever questions they ask me, and it'd quickly become rather obvious that I'm not interested in continuing the conversation.

No doubt, I'd turn bright red and start struggling to find words to respond, particularly if others were around.

Disproportionate nervousness in the hour or so leading up to the presentation. While sitting in class awaiting the big moment, I typically have to keep tapping my foot or something like that to hide the fact that I'd be shaking if I tried to sit still. While up in front of the class, I can do OK and show only minimal nervousness if I don't have to look at everyone - but as soon as try to, my face goes bright red, my eyes dart off to the corner of the room, and it's all downhill from there. I've never really had a huge meltdown or disaster during a presentation (partially because I haven't had to do many in the major I chose), but at the same time, I know that it becomes quite obvious to everyone watching that my nervousness goes well beyond the typical, mild form that a lot of people experience - and the embarrassment resulting from that causes a vicious cycle of increasing self-consciousness until I finish.

Probably wouldn't happen unless I'd exhausted ALL other options, and probably wasted an excessive amount of time in the process of doing so.

I'd probably wait too long to make sure it was them before acknowledging them, partially thanks to my crappy vision and the fact that I won't wear my glasses most of the time. If it's someone I just barely know from class or something along those lines - particularly if it's a girl - I'd feel trapped, knowing that if I ignore them I'll come off as rude (and possibly get called out for it), yet also feeling I'm so pathetic that they just might prefer me to spare them the embarrassment of stopping to talk to them in front of others. I also feel very "caught off guard" when this situation arises, because if I'm out by myself shopping or whatever, I tend to start thinking about other things and become very detached from my surroundings.

Much like the stranger and directions, this is a last resort. I particularly hate going up to ask a professor a question during a test, and when I do, I worry greatly whether I'll end up being either too loud (and distracting others taking the test) or too quiet (such that the professor can't even hear my question).

FWIW, I just graduated from a four-year B.S. program this month, and had to take quite a few difficult math/science courses over that time period - I can count on both hands the number of times I ever went to office hours, thanks to my SA.

Not really a problem within my immediate family, but for my extended family, it's quite a chore. They're not very understanding of my SA for the most part, and the ones who are semi-aware of it are extremely patronizing about it, even if they mean well.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

- Well considering my neighbors ALWAYS seem to be outside, I'd be concerned about having to exchange hellos with them.

- F&%K!

- I always take these things personally and they tend to bother me for the rest of the day.

- I'll do anything to avoid it. I'm so relieved when it's over.

- This doesn't bother too much.

- S&$t, is there an alley I can duck into!

- I'll always try to figure it out on my own before asking for help.

- Even this I struggle with now it seems.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Not too bad. Usually, upset stomach comes before I get into the car. I feel anxious in the car driving until I reach my destination. I have a fear of wrecking the car or having an accident.

I sweat. I start my stumbling over words or stuttering.

I either get upset and quiet or I try to combat my boss and defend myself. Last time I did that, it got worse. *******!

I stutter, think random things, heart rate increases, and shake.

Maybe stutter, wonder if I said anything stupid.

Dread the encounter. Try to think of an escape route while trying to think up a conversation.

Not bad because I've gotten know my teachers and I'm more comfy talking to ppl older than myself as long as they are not my boss.

Not bad if they are my immediate family. Otherwise, I don't know what to say or wonder what will set them off in regular conversation. I figure some ppl are very volatile. Shaky

·
Registered
69 Posts
become very alert and all of a sudden paranoid, worried what will happen, fear of people giving me a hard time, often then I would slowly start to get angry and try and walk fast to where ever im going (especially if im alone)

I guess I would feel fine mostly I do depending on what they said. at first sight I might wonder why are they talking to me because they think I dont look normal or maby most of the time they just want to talk random

I would feel very threatened like im the only one who got yelled at and why I deserve to get yelled at

very hard. I fear they will laugh at me (most of the time the whole class always did when I came up to do presentations) I love drama but it effected me when I did plays I got anxiety on stage and lost the words, but it also helped me because I wasnt me for 20 minutes I was another character so they could laugh at her instead of me

I get worried, I fear what they might think of me and not want to help me, I try to walk up to people who (I think) look alright to talk to

Ill try my best to avoid them as much as possible

I get very embaressed and I feel dumb, I get mad because im not dumb and I can figure **** out myself, then people laugh at me and think im dumb, yeah school was total lame it sucks

most of the time im good with it I can actually express myself (especially my sister shes the number one person)

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts

Anxious cause i know someone might drive by and see me/judge me even though i know this is completely irrational.
Not really anxious at all unless it gets to the point of where the other person knows that I don't know how to hold a conversation, then I just feel dumb.
Well, I'm a perfectionist so this hardly ever happens. When it seldomly does, I just take it like a man and say it won't happen again. No real anxiety besides making sure I don't f up something again.
EXTREME FEAR! Infact, in highschool I either did a half *** job/didn't do the presentation/or the horrible doing the presentation good but just hearing my own voice being monitone and shaking that make's even me cringe so I know everyone else in the room must be cringing too.
No real anxiety here, just feel kinda awkward asking a stranger anything.
Immediate mind racing of something like "omg, i gotta talk and not look dumb", but if its just a "hello" situation there's very minimal anxiety.
I never really had a problem with this. I did have to ask when the class was over though cause I would never speak up during class with everyone around to hear me. I even got out of doing a oral presentation once cause I told the teacher how bad my anxiety was and physically/mentally couldn't bear it. So I did the presentation JUST infront of the teacher, no students.
Usually no anxiety at all. I do realize though that once I'm alone at home that I'm much happier and relaxed. Now if this was with say my cousins/aunts/uncles thats a different story. I don't think I've once had a real conversation with any of them. I know they're my family but it feels like talking with someone at school or work and is very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I quickly scan the street to make sure I don't have to say hello to anyone. Sometimes if there is someone there, I'll turn around or just keep my head down.

I would answer tersely to avoid an ongoing conversation.

I'll choke up and it will bother me for the rest of the day.

No major problem, a little nervous But I would prepare rigorously.

I might pass several strangers before I pick someone.

Depends, I'll say hi or at worst turn around and walk the other way.

Major problem growing up, most of the time I wouldn't ask. Never felt comfortable and then I wouldn't learn. Only a few teachers made me comfortable enough to ask a question. Indeed most teachers want you to ask for help and usually most of the class won't ask no matter if they're shy or not. And when I did ask for help, when the help was insufficient I would just nod thanks and pretend that cleared things up. I didn't want to seem thick so whatever explanation I got was the end of it.

8. Talking to your family[/QUOTE]
Immediate family, no problem. But as we get older I think there is less and less quality communication about our wants and plans for the future. I have no anxiety with them at all. But sometimes I don't think we're as honest with each other as we should be.

Great questions.

·
Registered
290 Posts

self conscious, somewhat paranoid, grandiose or shame

irritated, or glad if I'm interested

this person is abusing me, what should I do?

fear stress anxiety possible panic possible success

some shame, anxiety that I may not understand

anxiety

OK, possibly a little anxiety

anxiety

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Perfectly fine, no anxiety and just thinking about what I have to do for the day.

Little hesitant at first (usually strange people talk to you on the bus), if they seem normal and genuinely kind then I will gladly have a conversation, no anxiety present.

Disappointed in myself, down and little upset (not brilliant at handling criticism). No anxiety though.

Quite nervous, but I think handled the same way as any person when giving a presentation, doesn't cause panic attacks or large amounts of anxiety.

Reluctant but if I have to I will, won't if it is not the only way.

Smile and a "hey", depends who they are to whether or not I stop and have a conversation, doesn't bring on anxiety.

No issues. Part of learning.

no issues.

ADDED:

9. Asked to go to a club/pub/party
High anxiety, fear of anxiety and panic attacks and usually try to avoid. (added since it's my main anxiety provoking situation).

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,354 Posts
Terror... as well as worrying as to who would see me or if anyone saw me. I hate going outside to get the mail, go into my car, or to mow the lawn.

I wouldn't be that scared, surprisingly. I would be thinking that they might have something to say and if I didn't know how to respond, I'd just smile to be polite.

Ashamed, but not embarrassed or humiliated.

My thoughts would be: "I wish this were over," "I hope I'm making an impression," "I have to speak louder." I don't think I've ever shaken or had a panic attack in front of a crowd or even avoided it, but I am definitely not good at presentations.

I'd have no problem with it.

Try to smile? It guess depends on the person, if I'm on good terms with them or not.

Doesn't make me nervous all that much.

Ugh, it usually makes me nervous, but mostly because I don't feel 'adult' around them. It's uncomfortable talking to someone who tends to criticize you and ignore you at the same time (dad), and yet it's hard to talk to someone who thinks you're still a child (mom). Either way, I don't try to strike up a conversation with them out of my own free will, like any of my other siblings would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As long as its just out of my house and not going anywhere im fine.

Right now i dont think i could go out on a bus or it would be very hard...

I am not working right now

I would ditch the class or be shaking sweaty Pretty much a mess...

That should be pretty easy as long as its somewhere i dont know.

Freak out and try to find a way to runaway.

Havent been to school in forever so don know

My mom its ok everyone else doubt it would happen all that well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1. Walking out of your house on an average day (morning):
I'd walk out, look down the block in both ways to make sure no one is around. I get the feeling people see me through their windows and are thinking about how ugly I look or wondering why a teenage girl only leaves her house to walk the dog around the block. Wondering why don't have any friends, what's wrong with me. Major discomfort at the thought that I'm subject to the public eye and not hidden away in my cave.

2. Having the person sitting next to you on the bus start a conversation:

Extreme self awareness. Too afraid to talk back because I'm afraid my breath stinks. Avoiding eye contact at all costs, which I hate because they're looking me in the eyes as normal people do when conversing and I know it must be so obvious I'm avoiding them. Mutter my replies to whatever they have to say, trying my best to be friendly and a decent conversationalist but failing miserably. Strange how a sweet, innocent 80 year old man can muster this kind of reaction from me.

3. Being yelled at by a superior (work or school) for something you did wrong:
N/A, never had a job lol. But unless it was something I deserved I would probably get a little heated and yell back. It's weird how I am~ I have this 'Hey! I'm the only one that can treat me like that!" mentality when it comes to being disrespected. But you have to really make it personal before I'll say anything.

4. Giving a presentation in front of coworkers/classmates:
In my entire high school career there was only one presentation I absolutely could not get out of, because my English teacher was quick to learn my games that semester. There were 4 of us in the group and I was supposed to be the last one to speak. When we got up to do the thing the girl before me did her part and then did mine without me even asking her. Guess I should be kind of offended but I was so relieved I probably thanked her.

Just your regular stuttering stammering mess completed with me avoiding eye contact, apologizing after every sentence to excuse my stupidity, and the feeling that they are now annoyed that you bothered them and think you're stupid.

Eyes glued to the ground, heat rising in my cheeks, panic rising in my stomach, chest, and mind. Thoughts racing trying to figure out how I can convincingly appear to not see them there. End up walking by without saying hi and appearing completely rude, unless they say hi to me in which case I'll try to force a smile but fail and give them a quick "hi" and continue on my way... either way I appear completely rude.

Sit there staring at the problem for ten minutes trying to figure it out and also trying to give myself the courage to just ask for help. "No one will care if you ask for help, they have other things to worry about. and if they do care I can just make fun of them for being so immature. come on, you need help. Ask for it. Don't be a little ****"

Then as I'd open my mouth to speak I'd lose that whim of logic and clam right back up again, going to staring at the problem 'looking busy'.

Scrambling for words trying to explain how I feel in social situations so they will understand why I am doing the things that I am doing (or not doing, like working and going to school :| ) then feeling like a total moron when I get the same old response I always get, "that's why you need to get a job. So you can get used to being around people." I'd roll my eyes and tell them they don't understand, and they'd insist they do. They were shy when they were kids, too. Mentally, I'd remind myself that I should never attempt to describe any of this again, because no body, absolutely no body takes it as seriously as I do. They think I'm a hypochondriac and it's all in my head--- maybe they're right, but what can I do about it? Give me some sugar pills if that's the case.

Wow, that was long. I apologies

·
Rock Kicker
22 Posts

Usually no problem. I would have checked to make sure no neighbors were out first, though.

Begin cheesy grin. Return a lot of "Ohs" and "yeahs". Hope that they dont prolong it more than necessary. Feel disappointed in self that I couldn't even pretend to fake a real conversation. And that person probably expected a friendly chat, which he/she could have achieved with any other random person.

Embarassed, but give a blank, understanding look, maybe smile. No excuses (unless I really didn't do whatever Im accused of). Just accept it.

Ugh. Face hot. Voice maybe shaky if more than a a couple minutes. Start mispronouncing words. Then that makes me embarassed and then come the pauses as my mind goes blank in random places.

Hmm...I'd go into a store. i wouldn't ask a totally random stranger, but I hate when people ask me (where I work) because usually I don't know. And then theyll stand there even after I say I don't know, I guess expecting me to ask someone else for them.

Stiffness, weirdness. Look slightly to the side. Should I say hello. Will they think Im being rude by not doing so? No direct eye contact, but may smile a little as I get closer just in case they want to say hello.

I don't think I've ever done this. I've always tried to figure it out on my own.

No problem.

·
My head looks huge...
78 Posts

Probably fairly relaxed, but a bit wary...if I run into someone that I know, then a bit anxious.

I'd turn red, for one; no matter who talks to me, unless they're family, I turn red. If it were a guy, especially one around my age, I'd turn fuschia.

I'd get angry at them, or act defiant...but then I'd apologize like crazy, and once they were gone, I'd probably break down in tears.

The last time I did that, I felt sick...I had left my house for my class feeling just fine, but when I got back home, I took my temperature, and saw that I was running a fever, just from doing a presentation.

For some reason, I've never had a problem doing that. I don't quite know why.

I'd panic at first, and then say "Hi" if they did...I suck at initiating conversation.

I've never had much of an issue with that, either; however, I've had a few professors who are male and still in their 20s, and that makes it far more difficult

That's pretty simple for me. Unless they're making me angry.

·
Registered
235 Posts

1. Walking out of your house on an average day (morning) it's okay it's getting to where I am going go to that usually gets to me.

2. Having the person sitting next to you on the bus start a conversation if they are annoying I will have to bite my tongue otherwise I will just go with the flow until the ride is over

3. Being yelled at by a superior (work or school) for something you did wrong this is nothing new my ex boss was a total jerk, didn't believe I have anxiety thought I was faking it and he is a jackass all the way around, I just suck up with what he said to me, he knew it too, I don't kiss *** or sugar coat anything guess thats one of the reasons he was a jerk to me.

4. Giving a presentation in front of coworkers/classmatesI would call out, or pass it along to someone else I am not one for this

5. Asking a stranger for directions go on map quest, if I get lost I will call and tell them I am lost

6. Seeing a person you kinda know walk towards you on the street depends who it is, either I will get ready to run, kick him in the nuts or just mingle for a min

7. Asking a teacher for help with something this is no biggie, I must be the annoying student

8. Talking to your family this is okay as long as they keep it real and not alot of drama, my sisters are drama queens.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I would look around, if there is someone I know around... If not, I would be very comfortable, but if I see anyone I know, my stomach would start to hurt, and my heart start racing

I would blush, my heart start racing, my movements becoming stiff. Maybe would sweat a little bit too.

I would definitely blush, my head and hands may start to shake a little bit, sweating may occur, pain in stomach. A little tear in my eye :D

Blushing, voice shaking, hands shaking, pain in stomach, awkward movements

Little pain in stomach, if it takes long maybe some blushing

Heart start racing, depending on people blushing, movements becoming awkward (more or less), muscle tension, pain in stomach

heart racing, maybe blushing

Depending on family member and situation. If we are all together, probably nothing, but if we are for example in my apartment with brother maybe muscle tension and heart racing

Edit: ah, I didnt read the first post carefully enough, so I only depicted my purely physical reactions...

·
Registered
246 Posts

In a rush, looking around to see no one is looking at me. Getting into my car as soon as I can concentrating on not doing something stupid.

I try to be as polite as I can unless I'm taken by surprise. I think i come off as rude most of the time because I give off one word or hurried answers and don't offer to carry on a convo.

uncomfortable of course. wondering if i could have done something different. i would feel bad and useless, unless it's something I didn't actually do in the first place. Then I would just be angry, and it would depend on the situation if i would say something.

Extremely nervous. Slight to severe panic attack.

Very nervous. I would have to take a lot of time to work myself up to it. I hate asking anybody for anything. It's just putting yourself out there too much.

very apprehensive, analyzing everything that could or does happen even afterwards.

nervous, see #5

Not nervous, but it's not like I'm chatty. i think about what I'm saying or asking beforehand. If it's a conversation and I'm relaxed then it's fine.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts