Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I constantly see these commercials for eharmony and others.- The ads usually portray their clients as super attractive,wealthy,charismatic people-who are so immersed in their successful lives they simply don't have the time needed to cull the herd of excited potential mates just waiting for them. I just wonder how a site/club would work for the rest of us? Of course the ad campaign would be a beast to work out- Socially awkward could have many different meanings. To some it could be the person who's lost confidence,to others it could be the guy who's collecting anthrax in order to annihilate us all. Also the name could prove a little harsh and insulting. What are your thoughts? Would it appeal to you to have something which was more accepting and even encouraging of us?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never work. How many people are you going to get to admit to being this way? I want even post my real picture on Match or Yahoo just because for fear of being criticized by friends.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just meant something that might be more appealling to the "average Joe". A softer approach that would welcome those who weren't royalty in high school-something more realistic. There's a lot of us,but we have no voice and so we remain invisible.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
This sounds like a good idea to me :yes It would probably make it easier for us to find compatible partners.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think there are already a few sites based on this idea.

I like the idea, but the problem with all niche dating sites is that you need to live in a city with millions of people. Otherwise, you're going to be the only in your area that even has an account.

Probably the best thing would be for a mainstream dating site to acquire a reputation as "shy friendly," but I'm not sure what that means.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Didn't SAF (social anxiety friends) used to have a section for socially anxious dating?

Its worth a try, definitely.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
...The ads usually portray their clients as super attractive,wealthy,charismatic people-who are so immersed in their successful lives they simply don't have the time needed to cull the herd of excited potential mates just waiting for them. ...Socially awkward could have many different meanings. To some it could be the person who's lost confidence,to others it could be the guy who's collecting anthrax in order to annihilate us all. ...
:lol Yes, the latter kind of guy is the one that "socially awkward" would conjure up for me. Another expression would be better. "Shy", for example. It wouldn't have the same negative connotations..

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
it would be nice, but i imagine it would be 90% guys, and only the best looking ones would get dates, so it would be kind of pointless.

also, normal guys would probably join just to date all the beautiful sa girls, which would be pretty annoying!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That's already what the majority of some dating sites are. Every guy I've actually responded to, talked to on the phone, or met in person off okcupid has been the quiet, loner, not popular in high school or college. Some were shy, some just chose to be quiet and not outgoing. Yea there are a few of the popular and better looking than average but you can usually pick them out quickly. They are either on there just for sex or they aren't likely to message you anyway since you won't match what they are looking for. Of course the commercials aren't going to say that. They want to try to get more people by not looking like they just exist for the socially awkward even if that makes up a good portion of their members. There are also a few sites just for people with anxiety or other "disorders".

Avoid eharmony and ignore everything they say or any commercial they put up. They are not the average dating site and they make their successes by using a heavy selection process to turn down anyone they can't easily match with someone.

·
In orbit, always
824 Posts
This is true about eHarmony. The site actually rejected me the first time. I had to change my answers to some of their questions to gain acceptance. I tried it for a year but got nowhere. This was several years ago, before they started advertising on television.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It's a prosperous sounding idea. I can't tell you how many people I hear of who just want to meet somebody else on the same level and who has the capacity to understand them and their quirks/idiosyncracies. Me included.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
It could be OK but my guess is a lot of the people who would be on there wouldn't be extremely socially awkward. Just a little. So it would probably end up being a lot like just about any other dating site. People would think you were weird if you were too shy, defeating the whole purpose. Also, if you were really SA, you'd probably end up meeting people who weren't SA at all and just thought they were. And, of course, I've never seen a completely free dating site so I wouldn't bother with it anyway. Yeah. I'm one of those people who thinks everything should be free online. :blank

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I constantly see these commercials for eharmony and others.- The ads usually portray their clients as super attractive,wealthy,charismatic people-who are so immersed in their successful lives they simply don't have the time needed to cull the herd of excited potential mates just waiting for them.
This is how ads work, people who sell products on TV want to make you believe its perfect, fast food commercials make their food look better than it could ever really be, they will show you something working seamlessly and perfectly even if it doesn't in real life, they will always show you the brighter side of the picture, that's how ads work for everything and has nothing to do with just dating commercials.

Even though this is not a dating site, you have about all the resources as you would on a dating site, its just it not the theme here. It apparently has worked in the past for a few people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts