Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to picture a life without SA, boredom, depression, etc. what would you see yourself doing? I'm not talking relationships or socializing. What activities or hobbies would you be into to make your life more exciting or fulfilling?

It's probably because I'm for the most part unemployed right now that I feel this need to be doing something exciting with my life. But I can't figure out what it is I'm looking for. Does anyone else get that itch to just get out there and live, but not really know what to do?

Here're the activities I have been somewhat getting into lately:

-guitar
-disc golf
-cooking
-bicycling
-fishing
-watching baseball (kind of a lame one, but what the hey)

But I want more ideas!

So I ask, even if it's just once in a while, what kinds of things do you folks sometimes do if you're bored? What would you like to be doing but don't?

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
If I didn't have SA one thing I 'd do is go to alot of shows- all kinds of bands from local indie shows to cover bands to big summer tours to acoustic singer/songwriters in bars to raves of all types etc. I love music and I'd love to have the friends and confidence to do this but unfortunately I don't.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I would sign up for voice lessons. I was in the school chorus for years, but now that stuff scares me so much. I love to sing, I can't go a single day without it, but I'm too afraid to do it infront of anyone now. I'd also love to take guitar lessons. I've had a guitar for years, but I've been too afraid to find a teacher.

I'd probably start horseback riding again too. Actually I'd also love to get back into ice skating. That took up so many years of my child hood. I don't know why I ever stopped.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would love to be able to perform my music. I've been playing guitar for around 5 years and I have been playing trumpet for a similar period. I found that I've become more self consious about my playing the longer the time goes as I keep placing greater and greater expectations on myself. However, I asked a friend who I play with occasionaly if he'd like to go busking sometime and he said yes, so hopefully I'll be able to push myself to do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That'd be cool. I've got a friend who plays the mandolin and we were talking about posting up on a couple milk crates and jamming. But I'm super critical of my playing too, so I'm trying to put in more time practicing.

I was also thinking that I need to find a way to get some positive adrenaline pumping. When I'm not attacking myself with doubt, worry, anxiety, and hopelessness, my only relaxation is worn out and tired. Maybe a sport or something.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,364 Posts
I'd probably get guitar or piano lessons and play all day (with the help of instruction of course). I'd also probably try ballroom dancing, something I've always wanted to do but couldn't due to anxiety/depression. I imagine if I tried, I could only go for a few sessions and then feel fake since it'd be fun but I'd only get depressed again and couldn't go therefore discontinuing whatever 'fun' endeavor it was in the first place. It's probably hard to teach an anxious/depressed person anyway. And then I'd go canoeing just to get out in nature.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think I would get into comedy. I love to make other people laugh, but I'm always afraid my humor will either clash with other people or fail miserably.

·
Banned
583 Posts
-Go to the college of my choice.
-Befriend people at said college.
-Go to yoga classes on my own.
-Go bike riding often.

I'm being realistic with my choices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Gregarrio! Here is what i do to feel "fulfilled": ( i try to keep a mind, body, spirit balance)

Mind:
when i get bored, i try to be productive- i dont like wasting time. so...i might do something artistic (painting, drawing, writing poems or blogs). i also keep a journal of things that come into my head, things that i hear that inspire me, as well as personal goals; i refer to it often. i also love to drink coffee to stimulate my mind and read something interesting. i like to research a subject i like or something i've always wanted to learn more about. (in my journal, i have a list of these and when im bored, i learn about them).

Body:
For an adrenaline rush or endorphins, i like hiking (you can do this by googling mountains or trails nearby where u live), running/getting in shape/working out.

Spirit:
i've found that volunteering my time to help others is one of the most fulfilling things ive ever done. i volunteer on saturdays and sundays which works out cause i have no life anyways lol. its good for your confidence b/c you feel good about the fact that you're helping less fortunate people. if you're interested in volunteering, just google "volunteer oppurtunities in _city,state_".

now, what things would i like to do? ive always wanted to go skydiving but its so expensive! i would also love to travel more but im a student and traveling can be very expensive. i want to learn italian and how to play the viola. i would love to do missionary work in africa or join the peace corps someday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Krys,

Way to break it down. I like how you've turned boredom into an opportunity to do something, as opposed plopping down in front of the boob tube just to kill time. I graduated in May, but I was thinking of going back to the JC to brush up on my Spanish. I live in California so it's basically a second language (for fun I sometimes "marque ocho" just to see if I can make it). Talking w/ people in another language doesn't bother me socially because it's a fun challenge.

I think volunteering is great, and it's social. Mind, body, spirit, and I would also add community.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do all the stuff I want to do (weights, cycling, reading, guitar, etc), but I don't do the things that I need to do because of SA and by doing them, I think my life would be more fulfilled because I would be meeting my responsibilities better. Basically anything that involves social interaction, family functions, activities with friends, work duties, I will find a way out of it, but it always comes back to bite me.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I'd like to make a friend or two
Learn to cook
Get out of the house more maybe to a park, down to the river, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts