Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Nowhere Man
823 Posts
IMO they are prepared for this kind of situations. They will offer you as much help as they can and as much help as you are willing to take.
I doubt that they will confine you to a mental hospital, but they might give you medicines. If that won't help, then they might send you to an institution but not forever. Don't be afraid, Let them help you and help yourself.

·
Shaking Sociopath
97 Posts
It makes sense to me I've kinda been going through the same thing, I pretty much force myself to talk everyday, I went to a therapist awhile back and he wasn't helping me at all so I just decided to go on meds idk if they're helping or anything, My mind goes blank everytime I'm around someone to its like I'm braindead I'm so boring I can't even entertain myself anymore. In regards to your question it is they're job to help you I don't think they would admit you to a mental hospital cause its not like your crazy or anything but I do remember my therapist saying something like if you tell me you're going to kill yourself I will be forced to call 911 or something like that so of course I lied and told him I'm not feeling suicidal, but anyway just know you're not alone, if you need someone to talk to I'm here for you.. I know what its like I've been cutting myself for the past week just hoping I can get deep enough.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It makes sense to me I've kinda been going through the same thing, I pretty much force myself to talk everyday, I went to a therapist awhile back and he wasn't helping me at all so I just decided to go on meds idk if they're helping or anything, My mind goes blank everytime I'm around someone to its like I'm braindead I'm so boring I can't even entertain myself anymore. In regards to your question it is they're job to help you I don't think they would admit you to a mental hospital cause its not like your crazy or anything but I do remember my therapist saying something like if you tell me you're going to kill yourself I will be forced to call 911 or something like that so of course I lied and told him I'm not feeling suicidal, but anyway just know you're not alone, if you need someone to talk to I'm here for you.. I know what its like I've been cutting myself for the past week just hoping I can get deep enough.
Honestly sometimes I feel like I'm crazy. Though I don't really know what the qualifications are for being considered crazy.

·
Banned
3,597 Posts
They'd send you to mental hospital, i doubt you'd live there forever, probably just until you changed your way of thinking, and generally felt better.Few months to a year at most I'd say (although that's just my guess).

And i do know how you feel, i almost never don't know what to say, but if you keep trying, even coming up with random seemingly dumb things to say, you'll get better.And you have to stop thinking negatively thinking all the time, and find something to live for - even if it isn't something big, or important, but something that would be enough for you.

I was (and am, still) suicidal, although not as much as 8 months ago (when i tried to "off myself"), anyway, only reason why I'm still here, is because i want to make life for myself better than it is, enjoy it, have fun, and help some people on the way if i can.Add to that all the awesome TV shows I'd be missing if i wasn't here, plus people I'd never meet...i think it's worth trying.

It's not easy, but still...you should consider going to therapist, and get some meds as well, that should help you.Here, I'm from the point where i couldn't even talk with anyone online, and I'd usually avoid it as much as possible, came to the point where i can talk with almost anyone (online), without much of a problem, or over-thinking everything i write.There's still long way to go in RL (although SA isn't my biggest problem), but we'll see.

As for not thinking of anything to say in social situations, well, it's because you avoid 'em.When i was younger, that wasn't a problem for me, and not it is.Well, that, and the fact that I'm not doing anything with my life, hence, nothing interesting happens.Go out more, have fun, watch fun TV shows to cheer up, or do something that you like doing - or used to as a kid, it will get better :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just that I honestly don't *care* to get better so I know that therapy won't help me, which is why I asked what'd they do if I got there and was suicidal and never said anything, and if they sent me to a mental hospital, and I still didn't say anything and I was still suicidal, what would happen then, would they just give up and let me die. I hate depression and social anxiety, but I have no motivation to actually change it. I feel so dead inside.

·
Banned
3,597 Posts
Eh, motivation can be a problem.I can't get myself to start learning Spanish, even tho i like it :)

Yes, you'd end up in hospital.
And i know that you don't care, i didn't care till recently either.But what I've got to lose?Life that even shouldn't be called that?

And on suicide thing, i don't recommend it.First of all, there's a big chance you'd mess up (and end up getting send to the hospital for even longer time).Well, i did mess up..

Second, even if you're so lucky not to mess it up that much, you could end up with numerous disabilities.

Third, why don't you try living your life?I mean, what you've got to lose?From what I've read, nothing, so why not try and enjoy it, somehow? :)

Fourth, meds can help you a bit, with your SA, so why not try them?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh, motivation can be a problem.I can't get myself to start learning Spanish, even tho i like it :)

Yes, you'd end up in hospital.
And i know that you don't care, i didn't care till recently either.But what I've got to lose?Life that even shouldn't be called that?

And on suicide thing, i don't recommend it.First of all, there's a big chance you'd mess up (and end up getting send to the hospital for even longer time).Well, i did mess up..

Second, even if you're so lucky not to mess it up that much, you could end up with numerous disabilities.

Third, why don't you try living your life?I mean, what you've got to lose?From what I've read, nothing, so why not try and enjoy it, somehow? :)

Fourth, meds can help you a bit, with your SA, so why not try them?
I have tried to live my life. And I failed. I'm on medication. It hasn't helped.

·
Banned
3,597 Posts
Well, i failed too.So many times.But that's life, you try, you fail, and so on, until you get it right.It takes a lot of effort, and a lot of trying, but life can be pretty good.

My biggest problems was, thinking about all things I've done wrong during the years, how many times i f*cked up, and how everyone would be better off without me.But it isn't the truth, nor it's that bad.Yes, i may have some problems, but what I've done before, doesn't matter, it matters what i do now.

You can't expect it to help on its own, you have to go out, talk with people, etc, if you don't try, it won't help, that's for sure.

Try listening to this song, personally, it helped me a lot:

You decide who you are, and as long you try, you can have a chance at a better life.
If you start ignoring and avoiding your negative thoughts, and start thinking positive, and try to be happy even about small things, after a while, life won't be so bad as it seems right now.

·
Banned
8,077 Posts
Many things could happen. A therapist couldn't change you. Medication may help tremendously, a thorough medical examination to make sure there is no hormone problem screwing you up may help as well.

Then again, it might not. I would meet up with you if I could to show you the secret way of how to go around sh*tting self confidence if I could, but I can't.

It's up to you. Your demons are yours, and yours alone. Their fierce, from what I see. And you must face them. Because you must; because you can.

For all of the can't that you may tell yourself, for all the hate and self-judgment you pour on yourself in buckets something still hangs on. Perhaps you don't even know what. Just an inkling, a feeling, why do you bother keep on living?

The question, we fear, can drive us to madness. And in a few of us it does.

But others eventually learn to cling to it, for some unknown reason, against all the pressure, all the hate, and all the desperation. Because you want to get better. You've tried so hard all of this time, and failed, over and over, but you still want to get better, to fix yourself. It's that determination to which you must cling.

Cling for dear f*cking life.

Because the truth is you can fight back. You have the strength to do it. Get mad if you have to. This is YOUR life and refuse to submit. How dare anything get in your way.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Ime, a good therapist often just has ways of getting you to open up and talk about things. It's just someone to talk to, in the same way you're talking to us. A whole lot of therapy is just expressing what's on your mind, like you are with us. I suppose if you actively refuse to interact with them completely, there's essentially nothing they can do. Nothing will happen without your participation, though I suppose if you stop eating or do something where someone is going to want to call emergency services for your sake, enough is going to be provided for your body to keep you alive, and people will do some amount trying to help you with your mind I imagine, though I don't know what that looks like specifically. If I'm afraid of that a little, I think I just don't want to give up my sense of control and self-direction. I don't want to be taken from the life I have going. I don't want to forfeit what I've worked for. I wouldn't worry that people will try to help though, because I'm sure they will.

Honestly, when I start thinking like this, I call it "frightening myself", and you don't have to go frightening yourself.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
The first time I saw a psychologist as an adult, I just sat there and cried and cried. She asked me a few times what was wrong. All I could tell her was, "I can't talk about it." (In my case, because I'd talked about my problems to others before and it had never helped. I literally felt I had no right to speak up anymore. I thought that the moment I opened up and started talking was the moment everything was over.) So that was basically all that session consisted of, me sitting and crying and unable to answer anything.

Granted, in future sessions I started to open up.

Also granted...in the end none of it helped me, personally, and my therapy was discontinued. But that's me and not you.

They can't send you to a mental hospital if you're just crying. I'm pretty sure they can't send you there even if you say you want to die. I believe you'd have to make a statement that you actually INTEND to take your life before they get involved in that manner, because I told my psychologist many times I FELT suicidal, but as long as I assured them I had no actual INTENT yet, they didn't send me to a hospital.

They will not send you to a hospital and just keep you there if you refuse to talk or cooperate, because the government doesn't have the money to do that. :stu If you're not actively suicidal or a threat to anyone else, they can't keep you. They need room for patients they can help.

And if you're not actually going to work on trying to get better, they can't ethically treat you. Believe me...that was one of the reasons they kicked me out. I wasn't getting better fast enough, and they needed to make room for more promising clients.

You say you don't want to get better, but I believe you do. Why are you posting here, otherwise? Why are you in such pain?...because you want to get better but you don't know how or if you can. And that's understandable...but if you don't at the very least try...that pain won't ever go away. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So basically what you guys are saying is that if a therapist/doctor/whoever saw me and realized that I was depressed and suicidal and had social phobia and whatever else, they would turn me away and give up on me if I refuse treatment and don't talk (because I can't)? You'd think that if they saw I had major depression and was mentally ill and had given up on everything in my life, they'd lock me up somewhere to make sure I'm okay, instead of turning me away and giving up on me... Does this make sense? My head is like spinning right now and I'm tired so I'm sorry if it doesn't.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
So basically what you guys are saying is that if a therapist/doctor/whoever saw me and realized that I was depressed and suicidal and had social phobia and whatever else, they would turn me away and give up on me if I refuse treatment and don't talk (because I can't)? You'd think that if they saw I had major depression and was mentally ill and had given up on everything in my life, they'd lock me up somewhere to make sure I'm okay, instead of turning me away and giving up on me... Does this make sense? My head is like spinning right now and I'm tired so I'm sorry if it doesn't.
I'm speaking only from my own experience, which wasn't that good and so isn't great advice to give you, but still it offers some perspective.

My former therapist knew I had suicidal thoughts (though as I said, I made it clear I had no actual intent yet), she knew I was depressed and anxious, but since the clinic didn't have the funding to keep treating somebody who wasn't getting better, they had to let me go. It's cruel, and it's not ideal or even right, but it's just the way things are where I am. Sometimes the people who are the hardest cases, who actually need help the most, are the ones who get the least. They can only treat the people they can actually help.

They probably would not outright turn you away. Keep in mind it took several years of treatment before they decided they couldn't continue seeing me. They WILL want to try to work with you and help you but that's the catch. You have to be willing to work with THEM, too.

Seeing as from what I've read so far you'd be new to the therapy environment, they'd probably be willing to start things out slow. Baby steps. Trying to at least get you to talk, for starters.

Based on what you said above, it sounds like you actually rather wish they would put you in a hospital and care for you...I fully understand that, I often wish somebody would just care for me too. But that isn't how it works. It's a painful process that you have to take active part in.

My experience didn't go well, but that was my experience and not yours. Perhaps circumstances in your part of the world are better and you'd have access to better treatment. It's a small hope, but still, better than nothing. I really, really think you should at the very least give it a try.

·
Shaking Sociopath
97 Posts
Honestly sometimes I feel like I'm crazy. Though I don't really know what the qualifications are for being considered crazy.
Neither do I, I just look at myself as deviant from the norm, it makes me feel better than the word crazy, and I don't really see why you wouldn't wanna get better, I used to be somewhat normal and was actually happy, I'd do anything to get back to that.. life can be good, Its just hard to see light when everything's so dark.

·
NewGlory
840 Posts
As far as the whole "will they or wont they turn me away thing", its all about money and appointments. You make your appointment, pay for your appointment, talk to the doc, then they schedule you for more appointmets, in which you pay. The only reason they would turn you away is if you don't pay anything. Money, honey.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have any hope. The truth is I just want to die but the only reason I'm alive is because I'm a coward. So I'm posting here because I'm too afraid to die so I'm forced to live.

·
iWasSadWheniMadeMyname
17 Posts
go to a therapist.. I was like you, maybe worse...i literally had hallucinations of hanging myself in my closet and wuld sit in my room ALL DAY freaking just thinking about killing myself and crying all day. going to a therapist will save your life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts