Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
4181 - 4200 of 4234 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,943 Posts
@WillYouStopDave

That was a pretty cool video, I feel bad for the guy that designed them because he never got to see his dream come to pass though. One thing I always found interesting about a lot of futurist thinkers, is how they saw the future. It was often based on how they saw the present, they were often unable to see how society might change. Futurists back in the 50s - 80s had this strange idea that society would remain unchanged, we would have a nuclear family still, that people would still have the same behavior and mannerisms - but there would be new technology. They rarely considered that humans will change along with the new technology, as it set us free from the burdens we once held we would change along with it. Also the practicality of innovations was often overlooked, a lot of futurists envisioned flying cars but never considered all of the factors involved with them, I mean, we do technically have flying cars, but I can only imagine it is not as simple as having a flying car, we would have to consider all of the other flying cars, what happens when they break down and slam into buildings below them.

One of my favorite things to do, when thinking of future technology, is imagine how people will change. It is not just the technology that fascinates me, but how people will change along with it. We are every bit as much as our surrounding technology as we are our flesh, it changes us, and that only makes sense since it is an extension of ourselves. Humans have been one of the few specie out there, that have the capacity to use tools as an extension of itself. My own views have long been that as we innovate better technology we will slowly become more and more solitary by nature, which seems to be the case. I think people insist humans are by nature a social specie, but I see us differently, I think we tend to try to control one another in order to control our environment, and the only means that we can currently do that is through one another - it is one of the things that scare the hell out of me about people. I think when we have the technology, our reliance upon one another will lessen and as the such people will naturally start to spend less time among one another. Sites like social media, will mostly vanish and their use will gravitate toward more so a tool for loved ones. Once we have AI bots that are more sophisticated, people will more than likely spend their social time chatting with them, and even forming friendships with them. Stuff like this, has a very real impact on us, it changes society.

Anyway, that video was really cool, it is a time capsule of sorts and I love stuff like that. I love seeing how society changes, how people once thought the future will be. It is a fun way to pass the day. I look forward to getting Bob two point oh in a few hours :lol Not quite what was envisioned by people like the guy in this video, I think it would be really cool to see his reaction though, it would be awesome if he were here to enjoy it. I wonder how he would react to society though, if he would be okay with how people changed?

Edit:
A lot of movies did this too, with their vision of the future, which are pretty fun to watch. Futuristic movies, where the people remain unchanged, including haircuts, while all of the technology around them was different :lol

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,707 Posts
This cart, so that I have a place to put the to-be-read books by my bed so they're not in a stack on the floor.
Ikea? I have the same one in like a reddish orange rust color. I use it for my overflow of books too, I have it by my desk. I didn't put the wheels or handle thing on it though cause I don't move it around. The quality is pretty good given the price.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ikea? I have the same one in like a reddish orange rust color. I use it for my overflow of books too, I have it by my desk. I didn't put the wheels or handle thing on it though cause I don't move it around. The quality is pretty good given the price.
Amazon

That looks identical to the one my mother has for her flowers. :)
It's handy! :smile2:

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,943 Posts
As a continuation of my previous posts regarding my robot vacuum, I must say I am really impressed with him. I've decided on the name of "RoboBob the magnificent", and even have given him a gender. It is fun to watch him go around, figure out the lay of the land, do my throw rugs, and pick a plethora of hair from my dog.. I mean, RoboBob has even found jewelry for me that no one in my household has ever seen.. no kidding, I think he has a spirit for exploration and treasure!

My floors are now always free from crumbs, dust, dirt, etc.. and he even goes under my couch, love seat, dresser, entertainment centers and bed.. I mean, heck, I'm impressed..after he is done he heads back to his charging station and gives a cheerful little tune to let me know. I think he was worth the $199 we spent on him, although, admittedly I would have really liked to get the newest roomba, those things are really cool, and from what I understand the next generation of these floor cleaners will have AI to detect the various items they may encounter on the ground, that to me is incredibly fascinating - but not in my budget when they retail to close to $1000 USD. I think it would be even more cool, if you got a notification if it found something important, say, like the car keys you have lost under the couch and spent an hour looking for. I wouldn't doubt if that is included at some point, perhaps even a notification if it stumbles upon critters or notices mold on baseboards, the possibilities are really intriguing.

The one I bought is good enough, and sure, he may swallow up unknown jewelry (which may or may not be cursed) but there are a lot of features packed in there, including an android app that works with him. He created a map of my floors, and I sectioned them off into rooms - which is pretty cool because I can have him go off and just clean one room if I want.

Of course, I could just use my $6 broom and do the work myself.. I have to admit, I do feel really lazy owning one of these right now, and spending that much money.. but I really do like it.

·
bipolar
17,228 Posts
Two lovely old leather books from the mid-1800's. Odd volumes and one is in French but lovely bindings and ridiculously cheap. One is ex-library with a very unusual classification number stamped into the calf spine. Beautiful.

Also two Harry Potter books that were brand new and still in the shop from 2017 - 1st impressions of that edition and probably already worth a few bob. Anything Harry Potter becomes collectable very quickly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Two lovely old leather books from the mid-1800's. Odd volumes and one is in French but lovely bindings and ridiculously cheap. One is ex-library with a very unusual classification number stamped into the calf spine. Beautiful.

Also two Harry Potter books that were brand new and still in the shop from 2017 - 1st impressions of that edition and probably already worth a few bob. Anything Harry Potter becomes collectable very quickly.
Man, I was going to post that the last thing I bought was a box of cookies that have since been devoured, but now I don't even know if I want to, on the heels of this very classy post!

4181 - 4200 of 4234 Posts