Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
2441 - 2456 of 2456 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I was curious about the gender-neutral word for a niece/nephew... And I felt really bad about it afterward but I literally laughed out loud at "nibling." It sounds like a fantasy critter or something... What a funny word to describe a person.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: either/or

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Walking with a pram on fire is the best way to keep warm in these chilly times haha. I got everything apart from the very last thing that's said. Something like "gonna report us' idk 😀
The last bit he asks is. "Are you the polis?" Translation. My good man, are you a police officer? 😉

I wasn't sure if our American friends would understand a single word of it. Or perhaps anyone outside of Glasgow for that matter. Most of the people I spoke to in York, didn't seem to understand me on my recent trip there. Even though, I could understand even the broadest Yorkshire accents I encountered. Though I hope I'm a little better spoken, than the pram man. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: alwaysrunning

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
2,693 Posts
Watching an older t.v. show called Psych. When the lead character named Shawn is at a resort by the pool upset because he'd lost his gameboy when their room was robbed. He runs up to a kid playing with a gameboy and grabs it while checking to see if it's his. He would know because he hid a engagement ring in it. His girlfriend yells over at him "Shawn, stop acting like a child!" and he responds with "I'm not acting!" haha that had me cracking up.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,367 Posts
Walking with a pram on fire is the best way to keep warm in these chilly times haha. I got everything apart from the very last thing that's said. Something like "gonna report us' idk 😀
The last bit he asks is. "Are you the polis?" Translation. My good man, are you a police officer? 😉

I wasn't sure if our American friends would understand a single word of it. Or perhaps anyone outside of Glasgow for that matter. Most of the people I spoke to in York, didn't seem to understand me on my recent trip there. Even though, I could understand even the broadest Yorkshire accents I encountered. Though I hope I'm a little better spoken, than the pram man. 😂
Kind of off topic but since you guys mentioned it how are y'all doing with the heating situation over there? It's not even October yet but I would think it's going to start getting cool soon. Are you guys going to have to ration your gas use at all? Hope you all can keep warm this fall and winter and it's not too expensive!

I work for a big MNC and we have offices in the UK including London and Edinburgh and I've never had a problem understanding anyone from the Edinburgh office but not sure if Glasgow has a different accent. I do sometimes have difficulty with Irish accents though. Not all of them but some Irish accents I just can't understand at all.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Kind of off topic but since you guys mentioned it how are y'all doing with the heating situation over there? It's not even October yet but I would think it's going to start getting cool soon. Are you guys going to have to ration your gas use at all? Hope you all can keep warm this fall and winter and it's not too expensive!
Sorry, I kept meaning to come back and answer this post.

Sadly the temperature has already started to drop, I miss summer already.
The new PM has stated there will be no rationing, but that is not really up to her. I heard an energy expert state on TV that as it stood then (this was just before Russia shut off the gas supply) that the UK would have 4 days in January where demand would out strip supply.
They haven't mentioned people having to reduce usage, Brown or Black-Outs, unlike many other European governments being realistic with their populations.

This UK government continues to not seem to engage or deal with reality.

Which is a consequence of those that supported and promoted Brexit now being in charge. Admitting the truth and reality of what's happened since they got Brexit done and the **** show that was predicted, the lack of benefits and promised sunny uplands, would mean they were either stupid as **** or complete liars.

Personally, I'm dreading it. I have a Wet Electric heating system, which is highly inefficient, which I can do nothing about because I rent.
The government just announced an energy price freeze, but that only stops and other huge rise early next year, on top of the one about kick this October. Many people will be choosing between heating and eating, and Liz Truss's government are announcing Tax cuts, it's insane.

I work for a big MNC and we have offices in the UK including London and Edinburgh and I've never had a problem understanding anyone from the Edinburgh office but not sure if Glasgow has a different accent. I do sometimes have difficulty with Irish accents though. Not all of them but some Irish accents I just can't understand at all.
People from both places can have broad accents, usually the more working class versions, but Glaswegian is often sited as being particularly hard to understand.

Some very strong southern Irish accents I can struggle with, usually more rural. In fact, some northern, rural Scottish accents can be quite difficult as well.

This is great, he is actually Glaswegian, we actually went to the same school.
The only word that I think he says in away I've never heard being said that way is Breath, but that could be more North of Scotland/Doric.
He is actually mixing a bit of stuff from the north of Scotland in, but that vast majority is Glaswegian, which is a mix of Scot's and some slang.
Sadly, what we're taught is slang, is in fact often Scots, but that's to do with the English over lords, snobbery, politics and history, but that's not relevant here. ;)

This one is proper broad Glaswegian as well.

Much of this one remains true.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

It's not bad at the moment, just preparing myself mentally as you can feel it slightly starting to change. I got back to my room the other day and it felt a bit chilly so I put on two hoodies. Not got the heater out or filled the gap between the sash window with TShirts yet. Have been getting my little flame tree in at night as it doesn't like it if the temperature drops below 10°.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sorry, I kept meaning to come back and answer this post.

Sadly the temperature has already started to drop, I miss summer already.
The new PM has stated there will be no rationing, but that is not really up to her. I heard an energy expert state on TV that as it stood then (this was just before Russia shut off the gas supply) that the UK would have 4 days in January where demand would out strip supply.
They haven't mentioned people having to reduce usage, Brown or Black-Outs, unlike many other European governments being realistic with their populations.

This UK government continues to not seem to engage or deal with reality.

Which is a consequence of those that supported and promoted Brexit now being in charge. Admitting the truth and reality of what's happened since they got Brexit done and the ** show that was predicted, the lack of benefits and promised sunny uplands, would mean they were either stupid as ** or complete liars.

Personally, I'm dreading it. I have a Wet Electric heating system, which is highly inefficient, which I can do nothing about because I rent.
The government just announced an energy price freeze, but that only stops and other huge rise early next year, on top of the one about kick this October. Many people will be choosing between heating and eating, and Liz Truss's government are announcing Tax cuts, it's insane.

People from both places can have broad accents, usually the more working class versions, but Glaswegian is often sited as being particularly hard to understand.

Some very strong southern Irish accents I can struggle with, usually more rural. In fact, some northern, rural Scottish accents can be quite difficult as well.

This is great, he is actually Glaswegian, we actually went to the same school.
The only word that I think he says in away I've never heard being said that way is Breath, but that could be more North of Scotland/Doric.
He is actually mixing a bit of stuff from the north of Scotland in, but that vast majority is Glaswegian, which is a mix of Scot's and some slang.
Sadly, what we're taught is slang, is in fact often Scots, but that's to do with the English over lords, snobbery, politics and history, but that's not relevant here. ;)

This one is proper broad Glaswegian as well.

Much of this one remains true.

Curios when this man says: "a Glasgow man might say... whereas in Edinburgh an Edinburgh man might say..." I never get what they might say haha. All that Trainspotting I watched ain't helping one bit 😉😆

Coat Tie Font News Helmet

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Curios when this man says: "a Glasgow man might say... whereas in Edinburgh an Edinburgh man might say..." I never get what they might say haha. All that Trainspotting I watched ain't helping one bit 😉😆

View attachment 150215
So it's "I didna ken". But really (in modern times it would be). "I dinnae ken"
Translation - "I don't know" But you really wouldn't hear any from Glasgow say ken for know these days.
And Trainspotting, the characters are from outside the centre of Edinburgh, so it's different again.

Reactions: alwaysrunning
2441 - 2456 of 2456 Posts