Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
36261 - 36280 of 36292 Posts

·
SAS Member
14,482 Posts
Antlers 7/10

It was alright, nothing too special or scary but you don't often see movies about

the Wendigo]
so it was interesting.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (theater). I only went because I kind of like this director, Johannes Roberts, who made 47 Meters Down which was really decent. Unfortunately this movie was pretty bland. I also rented the previous six Resident Evil movies from the library on disc; had never viewed them before. Really, they aren't very good but aren't totally awful.

·
😒🤡
7,358 Posts
I would say that it's a flawed, but enjoyable film. But don't let my opinion deter you from watching it. If you liked both of the Matrix sequels then you'll probably like this one, too.
Yea, I want to make sure I want to see it before spending the money on it. What the heck, I'll go see it anyways to go do a little something. 😎 I'm sure it'll be better than Last Night in Soho to me. But that movie wasn't bad, either still.

Plus, there's always the new John Wick movie to look forward to.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,027 Posts
The Matrix Resurrections, I was not very impressed with it. I think this may be my own bias and high expectations that have come into play though, the original matrix is my favorite movie so there is that. But, I am not really ready to give it a final verdict, I'll have to watch it a few times, before I really can decide. I think I may have been a little more critical of it than I would normally approach other movies as. It is kind of like Star Trek, I used to hate voyager and enterprise - after a few years I found that I really enjoyed them. I would even say now I like Voyager more than TNG 😲

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
The Matrix Resurrections, I was not very impressed with it. I think this may be my own bias and high expectations that have come into play though, the original matrix is my favorite movie so there is that. But, I am not really ready to give it a final verdict, I'll have to watch it a few times, before I really can decide. I think I may have been a little more critical of it than I would normally approach other movies as. It is kind of like Star Trek, I used to hate voyager and enterprise - after a few years I found that I really enjoyed them. I would even say now I like Voyager more than TNG 😲
I think they should have only made the original and no sequels. The original was perfect.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
House of Gucci (theater). I read the book beforehand, and this, not surprisingly, plays fast and loose with some facts. I'm sure the family isn't too appreciative of Jared Leto's portrayal of Paolo. He battled his family, but he's portrayed as a totally incompetent buffoon in this. Lady Gaga continues to impress me with her acting ability after A Star is Born. She's just so natural on screen. The movie isn't "bad", but it could have used a half hour shaved off. The pacing is pretty awful, even within scenes. I think all involved thought that many scenes were more amusing or important than they are, so they just run on and on with not much going on. Out of the two Ridley Scott movies this year, I'm surprised that The Last Duel is probably the better one, despite its anti-male stance. I thought it would be the opposite.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
West Side Story (1961) - I'd never viewed this. I must say that I didn't like it too much. For one, the songs really aren't that great. They're not terribly catchy. Then the stylization of the dance and performance are inconsistent. I was surprised at the aggressive racial agenda (from the stage play created by a group of communists) for its time. Which brings me to the following.

West Side Story (2021) (aka 'Woke' Side Story, aka Lens Flare: The Movie, aka Let's Hate on White People Even More) - Even though Spielberg sticks pretty close to the bones of the original, of course he and his comrades can't help but up the volume on the anti-White/brown-people-are-more-noble concept. As if the audience didn't get what they were going for, a hispanic character says "Sooner or later, the gringos destroy everything" (um, okay, you came to a country founded by "gringos", so perhaps just leave?). As to which film is better, I'd say they're about even. Spielberg's probably has "better" performances from the leads, and his staging of some scenes is more interesting, but the same problems in the material remain. He packs in all the same songs even though at least one or two could have been cut ("I Feel Pretty" could have been chopped).

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Licorice Pizza - This year has been so awful for movies that I had almost decided before going to this that it had to be the best, coming from a major filmmaker in Paul Thomas Anderson. Begrudgingly I might say it is the best, but that's faint praise. It's got great central, debut performances from Cooper (son of Philip Seymour) Hoffman and Alana Haim (an indie rocker). They reminded me of Lady Gaga in her two movies, for a recent example, in that their screen presences are so natural that it seems like they've been doing it for years. It has a super casual plot which is refreshing in that it's not trying to ram things down your throat. The (film stock) cinematography and production design are great. The bad is that it's almost too meandering, and some of the vignettes work better than others. The ending is also very questionable. People have focused on the age disparity as being inappropriate (he's 15, she's 25), and it is, but it works in an absurd way up to a certain point (don't want to give anything away).

·
😒🤡
7,358 Posts
Don't Look Up

8/10

I quite enjoyed the dry humor in this. I guess I wouldn't say it exceeded my expectations but it was pretty good and I like how it ended. Wasn't comedy all the way through the whole thing, which gave it a nice blend of genres.

I laughed out loud at the part when Jonah Hill closed the door on that one actress. Way too funny. 🤣

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
The Matrix Resurrections (theater) - Boy, this really wasn't all that good. It might be better than Revolutions, but only by a smidge. The ideas are lazy, but I can't get into why without spoiling it.

·
😒🤡
7,358 Posts
12 Angry Men

8.5/10...I rarely watch movies this old but I kept hearing about it. Had to see all the buzz about this film. They really went all out and in depth with the case. 😂

·
SAS Member
14,482 Posts
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 4/10

Not a very good resident evil movie. The actors for Wesker, Leon and Jill Valentine were terrible. the whole movie Basically just a CGI garbage fest with no real plot. They tried cramming RE 1 and 2 in one movie and failed hard.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Spider-Man: No Way Home in 3D. Just like most of the MCU movies, this one didn't inspire much like or dislike. It's way too safe and calculated for that. I don't even know which of the three new Spidey movies I'd put as the best. As far as the multiverse, they had already explored that in the animated Spider-Verse movie, so its inclusion in this feels like an afterthought, not to mention the Flash movie is doing the same thing. This movie's villains, which I won't get into for spoilers, really weren't a great idea because it kind of fouls things up, but I guess it works out okay and is different.

36261 - 36280 of 36292 Posts