Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
36221 - 36240 of 36243 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Dune (1984, Blu-ray) - Rewatched this before going to the new one. I'm a Lynch fan, so even though this has a lot of narrative and editing issues, it's easy to find a lot to like with it.

Dune in 3D (2021, theater) - This is objectively a "better" adaptation of the book, but that doesn't make it well paced. I'm not a fan of this director, so saying that this is the "best" of his U.S. studio films isn't saying much. It falls apart at the same spot as the 1984 movie - when Paul and Jessica go off to the desert and find the Fremen. The Fremen suck, they're boring as hell, and this movie adds an icky, unwelcome layer of "woke" casting by making all the "noble" Fremen non-White. Chalamet is a bit mopey and unspectacular; I prefer MacLachalan in the role.

·
😒🤡
7,125 Posts
Last Night in Soho

7/10

Was unsure of the first half of it. :unsure: But it ended up getting more interesting. Not one of the best movies I've seen at the cinema but it was worth checking out and got me to go out and do something. I also liked the 60s aesthetic of the movie so that was nice to see in the first half even though the first half wasn't great.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Last Night in Soho (theater) - I've only just been watching Edgar Wright's filmography this year, never having viewed his work prior. Man, I'm unimpressed given how acclaimed he is. His movies have good ideas and an appealing aesthetic sometimes, but he has a dreadful sense of pacing, and they all devolve into crap in the final third. Soho is the same way. It's also the second movie in a week (after The Last Duel) that has its basis in the anti-male rhetoric of today (called "#metoo"). This is getting ridiculous. This movie is almost cartoonish in how it depicts each and every man as a devil (every White man, that is; the lone black man is shown to be a saint).

·
SAS Member
14,469 Posts
Dune(2021) 8/10

I never read the books but i saw and loved the old movie. I think this new one was pretty damn good too. I don't like some of the actors they took like, Zendaya, but i guess nowadays they have go for diversity woke point. It doesn't stop the film from being great though so who cares.
The kid who played Paul was surprisingly good and so was his mom(the hot Rebecca Ferguson). The only sad thing is now i have to wait to see the rest of the film :(

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
The Way Way Back

9/10

Saw this a long time ago, but someone brought this up again in another forum just now. I always thought it was an overlooked movie. It depicted so many things well, simple and relatable to a lot of people.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
The Last House on the Left (1972, DVD from Netflix mail) - I rented this back in 1995 when I was first interested in Wes Craven, but hadn't gotten around to it again until yesterday. Sure, it's scuzzy and rough around the edges, but it is really pretty decent.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,943 Posts
I watched the Eternals on Saturday, it was pretty good. I didn't like being in the theater though, thankfully there were a lot of seats available as we waited a few days before going and watched an earlier viewing.

·
Super Moderator
8,724 Posts
No Time to Die

8/10

I've always like the Daniel Craig reboot series. It sticks well to the traditional James Bond themes & homages, while it also sways away from the repetitive cheessy corny themes. Especially this movie and the previous one, where it's actually telling a story, rather than just trying to be another James Bond movie. The only weak point of the movie I thought was the main villain.

Reactions: WillYouStopDave

·
Super Moderator
34,905 Posts
No Time to Die

8/10

I've always like the Daniel Craig reboot series. It sticks well to the traditional James Bond themes & homages, while it also sways away from the repetitive cheessy corny themes. Especially this movie and the previous one, where it's actually telling a story, rather than just trying to be another James Bond movie. The only weak point of the movie I thought was the main villain.
Daniel Craig looks the part but I have just not really enjoyed the movies he has been in like I did the old Bond movies. I don't think it's his fault. He's just the guy who plays Bond. I didn't like Pierce Brosnan's Bond movies that much either (even though he was a perfect Bond candidate, which was highly evident in Remington Steele). Golden Eye was pretty good. Timothy Dalton's Bond was the last one I really liked.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Eternals in 3D. This is actually pretty okay or average for about half the film, when they are in the business of world building. The overall idea and the expanse of time covered is not that bad. However, once the plot kicks in, this becomes really, really stupid and cringe inducing. What's worse is that it's yet another flick in the trend of blatant, extreme "sjw/woke"-ism in movies. That's obvious in the cast, the way they've race and gender swapped characters and even put in a gay character for no reason, as if they're checking some demographic quota boxes. These aren't iconic characters, so it's whatever. The worst aspect is the overwhelming anti-White male aspect to the film. I can't go into why it has this aspect so as to avoid spoilers, but anybody who denies the anti-White male sentiments encoded into the movie did not watch the movie.

36221 - 36240 of 36243 Posts