Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
36,141 - 36,160 of 37,019 Posts
Old (theater) - This is yet another nuttyass flick from M. Night Shyamalan. He has made almost all original films prior, but this is an adaptation, taking the basic premise and several plot details (including one about a pregnancy that I can't believe he ported in) from a graphic novel which I read prior to going. I think the best mindset to approach a Shyamalan film is that you know you're going to watch something that probably has a ton of groanworthy stuff, but it's so specifically and clearly Night that you just go with it. I marvel at how he is able to impart such a specific feel and flow to his films . . . even if those films are totally off key at times, with stilted dialogue and "what was he thinking?" premises and plot developments. He's a true auteur, but not of "good films" usually. This movie is I guess fun to watch, but in a "bad movie" kind of way.

The Suicide Squad (theater) - This is better than the first one, but honestly, not by much. The first half is good, lots of typical Gunn stupid and violent humor. Then the pacing goes out the window. It's too long, becomes too serious, and the villain/save the world plot isn't very good. As it was going along, I found myself really surprised that they were showing hispanics and their small fictional nation, which is the main setting, in a bad light, considering idiot Hollywood "sjw-ism". Sure enough (mild spoiler), it turns out that Gunn points the finger at America as "the real bad guy". This is getting so tiresome.

The Quiet Earth - Interesting premise and supposedly a cult classic but I didn't care for it. A guy wakes up and everyone on earth has disappeared so he's trying to keep himself from going crazy. But what really irritated me is he finally finds someone and who is it? A beautiful young woman perfectly groomed and wearing makeup! And of course in few days they're having sex. Then they find another guy and now there is a cringey love triangle! Felt like it really devolved into a some nerdy, horny dude's embarrassing fantasy. 4/10

I viewed the movie, Mean Girls. :) I had seen it on the TV listings, deciding to record it -- even though I had previously found it very unpleasant to view any sort of movie or TV show featuring scenes of heterosexual sexuality (a discomfort which resulted from experiences that I wrote about here at SAS). I expected "Mean Girls" to feature quite a lot of heterosexuality, but I recorded it optimistically for the day or night on which I had recovered enough from previous events to actually view the movie from beginning to end... hopefully enjoying doing so!

This afternoon I felt ready to view the movie, quite unexpectedly. I enjoyed it a lot! I even viewed the movie until the very end of the closing credits, without anything that happened in the story preventing me from enjoying it. Perhaps people who have read my more recent threads at this forum will understand why this is such a big thing for me.

What I have discovered is that if I simply look away from the sort of movie scenes that previously triggered the bad memories -- or if I lift up both hands to block out the view of what is happening on the screen -- then viewing a movie like this is not unbearable for me anymore. Doing something like that, I still get the gist of what is happening in the story from the context and the audio. It might seem like a shame to not fully view every scene of a movie, but I honestly don't want to view any scenes of heterosexual sexuality anymore: i.e. I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything that I actually wanted to see.

I had wanted to see "Mean Girls" since viewing a Hailee Steinfeld movie in which her character says "I've seen Mean Girls!" :p I love Hailee Steinfeld, so I wanted to see this movie simply because one of her movie characters said that she had viewed it. Also, I had the idea that the Hailee Steinfeld movie might have been in some ways based on "Mean Girls" -- so I expected "Mean Girls" to be in some ways a lot like another movie that I remembered enjoying so much. And I was not disappointed! :)

The basic story of Mean Girls comes from what I wrote in my most recent thread here at SAS (the thread about my sister). The story is also about what it was that she had chosen to do: THE THING she had done -- explained allegorically using three characters and three similar-looking pieces of equipment.

It is about Reign and Supergirl.

The name of the Regina character comes from things I wrote about my sister having previously chosen to curate the stories of a TV show so that her own behaviour was projected onto another character. Humourously -- or sadly -- the "two-faced" name of the Janis character comes from what I just wrote about my sister's projection (I looked up the movie's casting credits to remind myself of what that character's name is, after writing the first sentence of this paragraph). Janis is the goth girl who befriends Lindsay Lohan's character at the beginning of the movie.

The behaviour of the Lindsay Lohan character in trying to "bring down" the Regina character, so that she doesn't "look good" anymore, also comes from what I wrote about my sister's previous habit of projecting in the psychological sense. Basically, in this movie the Lindsay Lohan character represents me, and the Rachel McAdams character represents my sister -- even though the Rachel McAdams character has a name like Reign, and isn't very nice; and even though the plan of the Lindsay Lohan character to undermine the reputation of someone she calls her friend means that the Lindsay Lohan character behaves sort of like my sister!

To make what I said above easier to understand:
The Rachel McAdams character looks bad because my sister actually behaved very badly (and her name is Regina to represent how my sister projected her own behaviour).
The Lindsay Lohan character looking bad is mostly to do with my sister projecting her own behaviour.

The Janis character also represents me, since she is a goth who looks a lot like Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity in "The Matrix". I am not literally a goth, but pretty much all of my clothes are black. In the movie, Janis is the former best friend of the Regina character who obviously represents my sister (despite that character's name). Yet again -- the behaviour of Janis, who comes up with the plan to "bring down" Regina, has to do with my sister's projection; but it also has to do with what I wrote about Reign (i.e. me) not actually being a splitter, as Janis and the Lindsay Lohan character are both trying to do the same thing in the story.

The relationship between the Lindsay Lohan character and Janis also represents a single girl who disapproves of herself for having an affection for the girl she is exposing: with the "exposing" in this context referring to me having posted that thread about my sister. I love my sister and I find her very attractive, but I am not going to put up with her sh*t anymore.

The Rachel McAdams character is the "Supergirl" of this movie, and the same actress also played Esti Kuperman in the lesbian movie Disobedience (in which she played the lesbian lover of Rachel Weisz' character). Obviously Rachel McAdams looks a lot more like Odette Annable than she looks like Melissa Benoist...

The movie contains lots of other themes and references that have to do with what happened between me and my sister -- with many of those themes and references coming from what I wrote here in the thread about my sister. I am not going to explain all of those things in this post though.

Towards the end of Mean Girls, there is a weird scene with a sort of team-building exercise involving different characters allowing theirselves to fall backwards to be safely caught by their classmates. The Janis character -- who looks like Trinity from The Matrix -- declares that she has a lesbian crush on Regina, then she makes a sort of American Indian battle cry sound: the exact same sort of sound made by the female lead singer for Ukraine from Eurovision 2021, at the end of her song. And in my SAS forum thread, "What Eurovision 2021 Means", I described that singer as looking like Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity from The Matrix.

I was just looking at a filmography for Rachel McAdams at Wikipedia. Take a look at the names and titles associated with her most recent movie projects, if you want to. I wanted to make it obvious that I am not a fraud: that I actually am the Goddess, as I say I am. I got what I wanted, I suppose! I don't want to frighten anyone though.

Don't Breathe, rewatched on Blu-ray from Netflix mail; went to it in the theater a few years ago. I'm wanting to go to the sequel in the theater, too. This movie is absolutely preposterous, yet it works for some reason.

Don't Breathe 2 (theater) - If you thought the first one was Preposterous, this one is Preposterous with an icing of Ridiculous, some sprinkles of Bat**** Insane, and served on a plate of Stupid. It's an over-the-top, bloody exploitation film that surprisingly contains no direct references to the first film (no flashbacks at least). As such, the pro/antagonist almost comes off as a good guy. You'd have to have viewed the first (and it's been five years, so I don't know why they didn't recap a bit) to view this.

The Night House - It's about a woman trying to find out why her husband killed himself. This really felt at times like a good movie was struggling to get through, but it turned out unsatisfactory. It's one of those mystery films where the makers keep adding on more stuff, but rather than being interesting, it feels like it's stringing you along - all build-up, disappointing payoff.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings in 3D. I was the only person in the theater. It's the same as all of Marvel Studios' last group of films - totally cookie cutter/paint by numbers, however you want to term it. When your company's entire mission statement has become not about telling the best stories, but both focusing on "interconnected plots" for its own sake as well as adhering to some strange code of "diversity/as few White men as possible", you get stuff like this. Despite all that, the movie is inoffensive and the leads are okay. The plot is so lazy as to be almost barely present.

Malignant (only person in the theater) - This is another in the summer of bat**** insane horror movies, after Old and Don't Breathe 2. This movie is an homage to the type of hit-or-miss Fulci/Argento Italian horror movies of the '70s and '80s, but is also similar to '80s slasher crap like Happy Birthday to Me and Pieces. It's clearly intentionally over the top and stupid/silly.

Prisoners of the Ghostland

No rating - quit watching 15 minutes in. I realize it's a kind of movie I will dislike no matter what and will only feel like I wanted my time back. A mistake I've made with Snowpiercer and Zero Theorem, which this movie gave me strong vibes of.

36,141 - 36,160 of 37,019 Posts