Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
36101 - 36120 of 36130 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
11-11-11 (DVD from Netflix mail) - This is from the director of four of the Saw movies, including the one currently in theaters. It's a horror movie about 11:11 being a mystical symbol that otherworldly beings use to enter the world, or something. It's not the greatest, but is better than I had expected due to an effective twist.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I watched the rest of the Saw movies and went to Spiral: From the Book of Saw in the theater. It's actually a pretty consistent series considering that it's one story running through all the original films. Unfortunately they're not the greatest movies. Spiral, though . . . that's pretty damn bad. It's not like the original films at all except for the basic idea of the traps. It's poorly written, directed, and acted, kind of a meld between Chris Rock/Samuel L. Jackson's jive swearathon brand and a bland police serial killer flick. The traps are unimaginative, the red herrings ridiculous.

·
late bloomer
1,127 Posts
Cruella, 7.5/10. The script could've been a lot better. I wish they made Cruella a lot badder, but then this is just the origin story so maybe a sequel is on the way and I'll get to see it there, idk.
I'm always enamored with Emma Stone and I loved seeing her play "evil" roles like this. Thompson, Hauser, the costumes (the garbage dress, holy sh*t) and the music were good as well.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
The Great American Snuff Film (DVD from Netflix mail) - This is a grimy little horror flick about a serial killer attempting to make a snuff film. I like watching these tiny, shot-on-video flicks. This one is better than some due to a bit more filmmaking ability.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (in the theater) - Second time I've been to this in the theater.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
The Monster (2016) (Blu-ray from Netflix mail) - Wow, this was even worse than I was expecting. It's about an alcoholic mother and her daughter who is more of a parent than the mother. The dynamic between them is almost cartoonish. They're driving to drop off the kid at her dad's late at night and they hit a wolf and are stranded and preyed upon by a monster from the woods. The monster itself is the only good thing and is actually practically created with a suit, not CGI. They proceed to make the stupidest decisions and it has cringe-inducing emotional stuff that belongs in a bad Shyamalan flick.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,250 Posts
Cruella
7.5/10

·
Super Moderator
34,272 Posts

Good film but very long.
This one was great and I like long movies when they're this good (Heat is another one but is probably better than this one). De Niro was too old to play all of the parts in this though. They should have gotten someone else who could plausibly play a younger version of him. It was noticeable and distracting and this movie was too well made to get that wrong.

·
bipolar
17,099 Posts
This one was great and I like long movies when they're this good (Heat is another one but is probably better than this one). De Niro was too old to play all of the parts in this though. They should have gotten someone else who could plausibly play a younger version of him. It was noticeable and distracting and this movie was too well made to get that wrong.
Yeah I think I remember you saying you liked Heat - that's a great movie. Probably one of my favourites actually.

And yeah, De Niro was a bit old for this one. I finally got Netflix so I sort of watched it in a few goes.

·
bipolar
17,099 Posts
This was pretty interesting about a few people that sold about 80 million dollars worth of fake art over a 10 year period. Mostly through a well-known New York art dealer. The old Chinese man that did them is safely back in China just painting for himself - I don't think he got much of the money though.

·
bipolar
17,099 Posts
I watched about 20 minutes of Tenet which is supposed to be good but so far it's pretty boring. Maybe it gets better later.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
The Sparks Brothers in the theater. It's a documentary by Edgar Wright on the American band Sparks which was really only significantly popular in Europe. I honestly never heard of them before hearing about this movie, and only listened to some of their songs recently. Nevertheless, they've been doing their thing for over 50 years. The movie itself is pretty good if a bit long - 140 minutes. I would have liked the music showcased a bit more rather than talking over it, especially since it's partly meant to show these guys to people who are unfamiliar with them. Even though I'm not overly taken by their music, their story is pretty interesting in that they've done their own thing just on the fringes of fame and have kept reinventing their sound.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
The Changeling (1980, DVD from Netflix mail). I'd heard good things about this over the years and decided to give it a spin. It's about a man (George C. Scott) whose wife and daughter are killed in an accident, who then rents a gigantic old mansion to work. He finds it's haunted, and the ghost wants something. Unfortunately it didn't grab me, wasn't too involving despite some nice atmosphere. What the ghost wants is flat-out unfair.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
A Quiet Place Part II (theater) - This was kind of a disappointment. The first movie was pretty good but nothing earth shattering. This has the characters making dumb choices, but what else would you expect? As it goes on, the editing and story construction really devolve in quality. It's just a lot of poor ideas. It picks up right where the first left off (except for the first 15 minutes which is the best of the movie and shows the alien invasion when it started). I think Krasinski would have done better to fast forward a few months after the family has had a chance to hunker down and regroup. After all, nothing about the present situation in the movie is any different than it had been for the whole year plus of the aliens except for having the kid and needing to keep it quiet.

36101 - 36120 of 36130 Posts