Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know for a fact that i literally can't speak around guys that i find attractive.
so is your SA usually triggered by a certain gender, race, or clique?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Attractive people, "cool kids"

·
Registered
544 Posts
Everyone. Well, most people. Having to interact with anyone is hard but I find it especially bad when I'm concentrating on something (work or a daydream) and someone invades my thought bubble by entering the room/my personal space and speaking to me. I do not like surprises. Attractive men around my age are the worst to be around though.

Here is my heirarchy of SA-triggers, least worst, to worst:

older women>older men>middle aged women>middle aged men>women around my age>children>teenagers in groups>men around my age>authority figures>attractive men my age.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Being suddenly thrown into a social situation (for instance, when a roommate brings home 20 people unannounced - which he did a few months ago). Makes me very anxious.

·
Banned
372 Posts
attractive guys, people who try to get to know me, small classrooms, public speaking, going to lunch with coworkers, when people I don't know well try to argue with me, aggressiveness.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Going outside, meeting strangers, meeting attractive women, put into a social situation, being asked uncomfortable questions, driving, college...

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
Definitely being stared at in social places, especially big stores like Wal-Mart. This sounds really weird, but I've had quite a number of panic attacks in Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
certain things like walking across a very busy intersection, i hate that...sitting at the front of the bus is always nerve wracking...

talking to attractive women...when i go hand in my rent money to my landlord i get nervous and its soooo stupid that i feel that way still lol

but my list is about a 3rd of what it used to be

·
Registered
229 Posts
Eye contact. And for some reason people get the notion that I am a confident person because of my "good" eye contact...

Hahaha. In some ways yes, but in other ways not so much.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
More specifically, if there's an upcoming situation or event that I'm aware of where I'm expecting someone to focus on me for any reason or if I'm expecting a certain reaction from someone to something (*even if it's typically considered a "good" reaction), I feel the anxiety starting to get fairly intense.

* I'll give an example. I don't like to be praised for anything in a public way. I'm not sure why. Maybe it sounds strange. I think, maybe, it's because when someone praises you, they expect a response of some kind and because I don't know exactly what they're going to say ahead of time, I obviously can't prepare some kind of response.

So what ends up happening is that someone will say something positive about me or praise me in some way and I end up just sitting there looking stupid. Which makes me more anxious because I know how I look and I know everyone is wondering why I don't respond. It's even worse when the person who puts you on the spot either doesn't get it that you're shy and embarrassed or they don't care and they keep you "under the microscope" until you react in some way. And of course, when they do that, I end up having to make something up even if it sounds stupid and contrived (and it always does).

I see these situations coming 95% of the time and out of that, can only avoid them about half the time no matter how hard I try. Which makes me even more anxious because I so desperately want to avoid them and I am constantly aware that my success rate is only about 50%. All this junk is going through my head and I see these people looking at me like "What the hell's the matter with that man?". Plus there's the issue that usually, I know I'm not worthy of any kind of praise whatsoever and often, they're just doing it because they feel obligated to and the whole thing just feels sickeningly fake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts