Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit new, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Background information: I'm 17 years old and have suffered severe social anxiety ever since I can remember. I go to school and I'm doing pretty good grades-wise, but I have no friends basically. I have a boyfriend that I have been with for seven months and he is really the only one I confide in. Friends set us up and it's a wonder I even started talking to him.

Anyway, I was wondering what treatments you have tried. I've been to therapists, one encouraged me to "think positive thoughts," but this honestly DOES NOT work for me no matter how hard I try. The other one put me on medication and it worked for a little bit but then just either wears off or just makes everything worse.

I really need some help. I'm becoming a very bitter person because of this. I don't feel that it's normal for a 17 year old girl to avoid fun and hate others because they have friends. I feel like I'm missing out on my high school experience. I want to be part of some kind of kinship.
Please help.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I'm your age too- 17. I also am struggling with SA and found that it is making me miss out on SO much in my life.

What I have found that has really been helping me so far is a book called "Feeling Good" by David Burns. He also has some other really helpful books, such as one I just finished called "When Panic Attacks". It sounds like a book wouldn't help, but these books have changed my outlook on life so much. I no longer feel trapped in my negative thoughts.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=david+burns

Another thing that would help is getting involved in activities outside of school, such as sports, clubs, or a job. It will give you a lot more chances to meet with people that share your same interests.

Good luck! We can beat this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts