Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a real hard time with my social anxiety back in my high school days, and as I slowly built confidence it didn't effect me as much anymore. Then me and my girlfriend went through a hard breakup and long story short, i've been on Prozac for the last 3 months or so.

Since taking this it has definitely made my anxiety much worse, I now find myself shaking/nervous when eating or drinking in a public place, or randomly and very suddenly getting high levels of anxiety, it's really hard to function normally.

I'd like to ask my doctor to switch me to something else, but i'm not sure even where to begin or what to ask for. I see many different contradicting things on this forum, people praising Effexor and then others saying they would never recommend it.

Any advice on what I should ask for?

·
Banned
232 Posts
the usual prozac dose range is 20 to 80 so if you were taking it at less than 20 it never had a chance and you should up the dose to about 30

if you were on it at 20 or more, it is probably still worthwile to up the dose to see if this will make ut start working

so it all depends on your dose, what was it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used to have a real hard time with my social anxiety back in my high school days, and as I slowly built confidence it didn't effect me as much anymore. Then me and my girlfriend went through a hard breakup and long story short, i've been on Prozac for the last 3 months or so.

Since taking this it has definitely made my anxiety much worse, I now find myself shaking/nervous when eating or drinking in a public place, or randomly and very suddenly getting high levels of anxiety, it's really hard to function normally.

I'd like to ask my doctor to switch me to something else, but i'm not sure even where to begin or what to ask for. I see many different contradicting things on this forum, people praising Effexor and then others saying they would never recommend it.

Any advice on what I should ask for?
you might want to ask about gabapentin (neurontin) or mirtazapine (remeron). these are very nice for anxiety, tho mirtazapine can be quite sedating for some people unfortunately, and safer than jumping right in and asking for a benzodiazepine to calm the anxiety.. but that could be another option if these don't help. it's all a roll of the dice (different people respond to different meds) but these seem to be very good options from my experience..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
you might want to ask about gabapentin (neurontin) or mirtazapine (remeron). these are very nice for anxiety, tho mirtazapine can be quite sedating for some people unfortunately, and safer than jumping right in and asking for a benzodiazepine to calm the anxiety.. but that could be another option if these don't help. it's all a roll of the dice (different people respond to different meds) but these seem to be very good options from my experience..
I don't think mirtazapines hypnotic properties are that much of a big deal, it just means taking the dose before bed, rather than in the morning, infact it's fairly amazing just how well it can work for insomnia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts