Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I know this is not the first post about interviews, lol! But I have had a couple recently, and as frustrating as the whole ordeal is what really bothers me is this one question: "what do you think is your biggest weakness?"

Why do they need to know that? And how the hell am I supposed to answer it? - I honestly have NO idea what to say when I am asked that. I freeze like a deer in headlights. There has to be an easier way to answer that - anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I interviewed for my current job I said my biggest weakness was perfectionism. I get aggravated sometimes when I feel like I'm not doing the best I can do. I was being honest. That's really the way I am. I think you have to answer that question in a positive way about yourself. I have other weaknesses, but I would never tell an interviewer that I sometimes don't clean the litter box like I should :lol

That's just one of the standard questions they have to ask. I think it's more important how you present yourself during the interview. I studied up on the interview process before I went and I think that helped a lot. I kept an open posture. I sat up straight in the chair, leaning forward a bit. I didn't cross my arms or legs. I maintained eye contact and smiled when appropriate. It was hard for me because of my SA but I really needed a job. My credit cards were maxed out and I didn't have much to eat.

I don't know if I helped you any, but I wish you luck.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The weakness question is actually one of the easier ones to answer. You just need to give them something that "sounds" bad, and then immediately follow it up with something positive (ie. a solution) to it.

Eg. I have a short attention span, but because of that I've learnt to do things quickly and efficiently, and work extremely well in a fast paced environment.

Eg. I tend to sleep in in the morning/I always seem to miss the bus by a few minutes, which is why I've bought a bunch of alarm clocks and placed them around my room to make sure I wake up earlier and/or on time.

Shyness is actually not a weakness in some employers eyes. Depending on the job, shy people are much more productive workers. So you can totally use shyness as a "weakness"; just make sure you say something positive about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, I will try that. Shyness would be a good one for me, or perfectionism.
I had actually read on a resume website to NOT answer that question with anything that could be seen as self-serving. Like perfectionism or pushing yourself too hard. So I dunno, but really I just need something to say, I don't think that's an easy question at all to be honest. But interviews in general feel extremely invasive to me, so maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
772 Posts
this is what you say :

"well, I dont think I have a particular weakness that impairs me to perform in this role...." and go on about your skills, abilities, strengths.
The whole poing of the questions is not to found about your weaknesses but to see if you have the abilitie to turn a negative into a positive.

hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts