Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in the first therapy session? Like, what questions do they ask, and what are some good questions to ask them? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Also, what was your first therapy session like, and does the gender of the therapist make a difference for you?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sometimes I've had to fill out some paperwork, like maybe a questionnaire about how often I experience this and that. Sometimes not.

I'd say it's helpful to think about what you want to get out of therapy, and what your goals are with therapy. They might ask you that. They also might ask you something very vague and general like "tell me a little about yourself." It's always my first reaction to say "I don't know," or "what do you want to know?" but it's more helpful if you just talk a little about where you're at and what your issues are.

One of the important things to remember about therapy is that they are getting paid to help you, basically they're working for you. So try not to feel intimidated and be open about your problems.

Also, in terms of gender I personally would prefer female. I feel like there are things I would not be comfortable talking to a male psychiatrist about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts