Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting freshers week tomorrow and as you can guess my anxiety is shooting through the roof and I'm borderline panicking.

I'm worried about being plunged into a mass of strangers and expected to make friends. It's horrible that I have to go through this right after making friends at college.

If I could study from home without even attending lectures, I would do it in a heartbeat but that isn't an option right now.

Can anyone who has already gone through the process tell me what to expect when I first get there?

What the heck am I supposed to do if I never get used to uni and don't make friends?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm worried about being plunged into a mass of strangers and expected to make friends. It's horrible that I have to go through this right after making friends at college.
I think you're shortchanging yourself. It's scary because it's new. But you've already been through college and made friends so try to breathe! Remember no one's expecting anything of you. The cool thing about being a part of a mass is that no one has the time or interest to observe what an individual does. They're too worried about fitting in themselves. ;)

·
nascentes morimur
587 Posts
What subject did you choose? I'm going into aerospace engineering and I really enjoy university after being scared before starting out too. You need to keep your wits about to yourself and not let it get the best of you

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm a sophmore and I sort of got the chance to start over 'cuz I'm a transfer, but its not nearly the same as being a freshman. The mistakes I made last year were that I didn't go to any optional ****. I didn't ask around what people were doing to see if any partyies were happening. When I was invited to go out to a club I barely ever said yes. same for house parties. Basically, I said alot of no and you've got to be willing to say yes to everything atleast initially. Its always better to go and the event sucks or you fail socially then to sit and brood in your room trust me.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What subject did you choose? I'm going into aerospace engineering and I really enjoy university after being scared before starting out too. You need to keep your wits about to yourself and not let it get the best of you
Well I'm doing Sports Science and Nutrition since I want to be involved in tennis.

The problem is that this is a half-hearted choice and I'm not really 100% committed to it. I'm still feeling a bit lost about the direction I'm going in and I picked this subject so I would have a place in uni.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a sophmore and I sort of got the chance to start over 'cuz I'm a transfer, but its not nearly the same as being a freshman. The mistakes I made last year were that I didn't go to any optional ****. I didn't ask around what people were doing to see if any partyies were happening. When I was invited to go out to a club I barely ever said yes. same for house parties. Basically, I said alot of no and you've got to be willing to say yes to everything atleast initially. Its always better to go and the event sucks or you fail socially then to sit and brood in your room trust me.
I don't like social events that much and besides, I'm not going to be a resident anyways.

I'll still be going home every day after lectures so I won't be sitting alone in my room.

That's the one thing about uni that I'm kind of relieved about. No living in the halls of residence

1 - 8 of 8 Posts