Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 37 years old, have a wife and two very young children. I graduated with a degree in finance 4 (almost 5) years ago. I took a banking job after I graduated...I was being groomed....I hated it. I would cry, or hold back the tears each time I had to go to work, I just felt like the whole field was eating away at my soul. I couldn't take it anymore and after about a year I quit. Since then I've been working part-time retail, trying to help support my family, fortunately my wife has a decent job. I feel like such a failure. I have been applying for jobs, but nobody wants me. My wife is on maternity leave and the money has dried up...ofcourse she's harpring on me about the career, but I don't know what to do. I have even tried getting back into the financial field. I have no motivation or confidence anymore.

I'm considering going back to school, but with a family it'll be extremely hard. I'm willing to do it but have no idea what I want to do with my life. I need to be able to support my family now! I don't want to get another degree that I won't use. Considering the IT field, but I feel like I'm old and there's a lot of competition in the field. I've considered doing something that I enjoy like photography, or starting a kayak rental business, but where I live they are a dime a dozen and probably wouldn't really be able to support the family doing these things...don't forget the lack of confidence.

To make matters worse I've been drinking a lot to try to drown my failures. Thankfully I have kids, a reason to keep going. I am trying to stop drinking but it's hard. I just have no idea how to get my life straight, even the easiest things seems so hard to do.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Contact me. I'm IT for banking (but my degrees were in Comp Sci and Eng). I'm a complete sell out I know as I'm only at my place because it's flushed with money and had it relatively easy compared to eng.

We can be good friends. I drink alot too to just cope with showing up to the suits and the 10-20 hours of meetings per week enforced on me.

We sound almost like the same person except I was too depressed to ever get married and have children. I am an absolute favorite uncle to small children though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts