Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lost in thought
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on plenty of meds, including SNRI's, SSRI's, Anti-anxieties including propranolol, mood stabilizers and even stimulants. I had pretty bad MDD, Seasonal affective disorder + Social anxiety disorder, and general anxiety. I am happy to say that I am now completely depression free, even in the wintertime. But I am still struggling with general worrisome/overthinking + severe social anxiety. Literally, there were only two drugs that has worked to make me more confident and social (the first being Alprazolam XR). Not the instant version but XR (My doc prescribed both at same time). This effect only lasted 3-4 days before I was back to isolating from everybody.

Sure, benzos, propranolol, and even lyrica helps anxiety so you don't worry, but it doesn't give me the effect of being more social. I am hoping you guys might have some reccomendations besides the more known drugs/known therapies that can increase motivation + confidence + socialness. The second medication that helped temporaily was Adderall. I have pretty bad mental fogginess (which I think is from the anti-anxieties, to be honest) and a hard time staying on task. The first day I was super hyperactive, talking to everybody, etc. But that decreased after about a week, and it started making me isolate even more than before.

The only thing I really haven't tried that I've read up on is MAOI's. I don't know much about them though. Does anyone have experience with them? Do you know other therapies and or medications that may help you be more confident and social? Thanks :) I don't want to be quiet my whole life, I actually want to talk to people and be extroverted, but just have never had the drive too. I have also read up on racetams, but am a little hesitant with those types of things lol.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
There is NO reliable and long-term way to change your personality, nor do you need to. MAOIs are not reliable in this regard, and benzos/ stimulants etc will not make you an extrovert in the long term. The only thing meds can help with is to help you be a better (healthy, functioning) version of you.

You can tell much - or most - of a person's future personality by age 7-8. You are who you are. It's okay to be an introvert!

Is there a specific context in your life, in which being an introvert is a problem? A well-functioning introvert can have good jobs (which may be quiet jobs, and that's okay), make friends (it's okay to have fewer friends, or have tamer interests when hanging out), have relationships (no need to be a casanova), and function in society. If you have trouble functioning with these parameters, that's one thing. But there is nothing wrong with being an introvert. You are okay! :)

What psych meds (if any) do you take now?

MAOIs are effective treatments for SA. So, they are worth a shot. The two most popular and effective are Nardil and Parnate. They both work, each has pros and cons.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No drug made me feel more sociable. Most if anything removed the fear but didn't help me be more social maybe less if anything! Paxil makes me feel I need to socialize and be extroverted and like forces me to be normal and more social.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts