Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

I am writing in here because I don't know where to talk about my situation. I am a male, 24 years old, with social phobia. Every day I go to work and about 4 times a week I go exercising at the gym or go play football at a club. Week after week, after week.

The problem is that I can't seem to create any social activity - like going out with friends. I feel very depressed, because this has been going on for many years, and it seems to me that my youth is just passing by. It even makes me more frustrated thinking that I already am pretty active, but there's no payoff other than a good physical condition. Every night I am at home thinking I could be out somewhere having fun.

What have I tried to do about it? As mentioned I play football, and have gotten myself some nice friends there, however that is also the end of that story. We meet once a week and play the sport we love, and then we go home. And it is the same thing about work and at the gym. It is not the right places to meet new friends - however I once was asked out by a girl from work, but declined because of my social phobia was very bad at that time (if I just had the opportunity again!).

Has anyone been in this situation? What could I do about mine? I really need someone's help, I feel VERY depressed and locked up...

Best regards
Nasri

·
Registered
53 Posts
The whole forum is in your situation.although you do a hell of a-lot more than me, who sits home and mopes all day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow... I just read my post... FOUR years have passed. What have happened? Let me tell you.

Back then I had very few (but good) friends, but through these I met many more and a couple of months ago I had 10 people over to celebrate my birthday. All of them are really good friends. I'm done with my education and have a quiet/boring, but decent job. I got my first girlfriend this summer. Most importanly I have much more selfesteem now. I know who I am and what I'm capable of. Now I KNOW that I have so much to offer. I'm very happy with my life.

Shout-out to everybody: Believe in yourself. NEVER give up. One day things will start to get better. Just look at me - I got my first girlfriend at the age of 28...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wow... I just read my post... FOUR years have passed. What have happened? Let me tell you.

Back then I had very few (but good) friends, but through these I met many more and a couple of months ago I had 10 people over to celebrate my birthday. All of them are really good friends. I'm done with my education and have a quiet/boring, but decent job. I got my first girlfriend this summer. Most importanly I have much more selfesteem now. I know who I am and what I'm capable of. Now I KNOW that I have so much to offer. I'm very happy with my life.

Shout-out to everybody: Believe in yourself. NEVER give up. One day things will start to get better. Just look at me - I got my first girlfriend at the age of 28...
I love these kind of improvements and updates man. Well done.

Does your girlfriend know that she is your first girlfriend? What do she think about it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love these kind of improvements and updates man. Well done.

Does your girlfriend know that she is your first girlfriend? What do she think about it?
Thank you. I told her she was my first real girlfriend (I have had a few flirts going on before her, so I wasn't a virgin though) and that she was the first one I said "I love you" to. She was just happy and flattered. It was all positive. It wasn't even hard to tell her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah you already are pretty active. Maybe you could invite one of your gym buddies to grab a drink afterwards. Or invite them to a sports event that you both enjoy. You've got nothing to lose. If they say "no" you just have to ask someone else... and be casual about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nasri, I am going through what you started off with now. I too just go to work and the gym and sit back at home. I use to go to a martial arts classes often but since the beginning of the year I do not go. I prepare for it, pack my bag, and intend on going but I always talk myself out of it.
The same goes with social interactions. My friend always invite me out, and I intend to go, but at the last moment, I am flooded with a surge of feelings that talk me out of it.

Do you have any tips that might help me?

Congratulations on your success.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts