Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this situation coming up a lot and I never know what to do.

So you're in a room where people are just standing around chatting. You're talking with some people but then they decide they want to go do something else so they leave. You don't want to follow them because they didn't specifically invite you and say "Hey, Lynn, want to go get some soda with us?" or whatever. So instead, you turn around with the intention of talking to some new people, but then you realize that EVERYONE is in one big group talking excitedly over one another about some event that you weren't there for. You're standing there to the side, awkwardly, trying to think of some way to contribute to this but there just doesn't seem to be anything to say. I want to run away, and usually I do, but then I feel awful afterwards, like I failed at yet another social interaction. And this happens to me ALL the time, what should I do?? Does anyone else come across this situation a lot? What do you do?

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been in this situation so many times. I would just suggest asking questions, "who was this?" "oh my god, are you serious?"etc. and laughing when it's appropriate. Though I know, easier said than done.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Those kinds of situations knock me down a few notches.

Usually I don't have the energy to try and fit in, and slide out at the earliest opportunity. **** it. That's what I do.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Whenever I do go out with any 'friends' (which is very rare), it's mostly just my 'best friend's friends. (I put 's around best friend because I really don't think we're great friends at all. I think we're holding onto the fact that we've known each other since we were 12 too much). Anyway, it's always extremely sad/depressing when she starts talking with them about something that happened that I, obviously, wasn't there for. Or someone they all know that I don't. That one's even worse. I just can't believe they-- or my friend at least-- wouldn't realise how rude that is. What am I meant to say to all these little stories about people I don't even know? They might be entertaining had I known any significance to certain people in the stories doing certain things.

The very worst time was when some of my friends' friends were asking who was going out that weekend. My friend rattled off a bunch of names, ending with, "You know, everybody." I wanted to cry. I didn't have any ID at the time so I'd never been out in town properly (and have only been a few times since getting my Ls :p ) but I just felt so incredibly offended that she'd say that right in front of me. It made me feel like a nobody.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems like all these problems are less apparent whilst intoxicated.

I never have problems when I actually DO go to a party and get hammered (which is rare nowadays). I'm the life of the party when I'm drunk and just start talking to people like it's nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts