Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to counseling for social anxiety, my anxiety was caused by bullying at school, I went for anxiety and I told him I had social anxiety. I had been getting treatment for anxiety, not for social, I felt like he was trying to say I was fine. Then for depression he was going to get rid of my "low mood" and I felt like he wasn't helping.

But one day after a counselling session I was told my next one was a couple of weeks, he would send a letter out to remind me as I would forget, never got it and I forgot to attend, the same happened again. I had been depressed an entire week and hadn't slept properly for my latest session, I slept through the alarms, when I tried to ring up it wouldn't let me. Following Monday no answer 9 different times during the day. I don't know what to do about my social anxiety or depression, see a doctor?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is weird. I think doctors in the US could be sued for negligence if they did that.
Yeah just it said when I signed up it said on the letter if I missed more then two appointments I would be kicked off counseling but I never received the two reminders he said he'd send out a few days before. It seemed to me as if he was trying to rush the counseling, obviously got an excuse to kick me out now.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Yeah just it said when I signed up it said on the letter if I missed more then two appointments I would be kicked off counseling but I never received the two reminders he said he'd send out a few days before. It seemed to me as if he was trying to rush the counseling, obviously got an excuse to kick me out now.
Unfortunately, it's the same here in the US, if you miss a certain number of appointments, without giving them 24 hours notice, they kick you out. They can't afford to waste therapy time on someone who won't/can't show up.

And even more unfortunately, sometimes they don't send you reminders when they say they will. (I've had times where I showed up for a scheduled appointment only to be told it had been cancelled/rescheduled, didn't I get the letter?--NO, obviously I didn't. And they aren't required to give us 24 hours notice when cancelling, either. :roll )

There's really not much you can do aside from try to find therapy elsewhere, and try very hard to not miss appointments. :/

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, it's the same here in the US, if you miss a certain number of appointments, without giving them 24 hours notice, they kick you out. They can't afford to waste therapy time on someone who won't/can't show up.

And even more unfortunately, sometimes they don't send you reminders when they say they will. (I've had times where I showed up for a scheduled appointment only to be told it had been cancelled/rescheduled, didn't I get the letter?--NO, obviously I didn't. And they aren't required to give us 24 hours notice when cancelling, either. :roll )

There's really not much you can do aside from try to find therapy elsewhere, and try very hard to not miss appointments. :/
Yeah, I'm going back to the doctors. I know it's my fault and obviously not theirs. But I thought they would of sent reminders :/ I'm so bad with my punctuality.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It doesn't sound like you were happy with the counseling you were receiving anyway. I would view it as an opportunity to find a better counselor who will be more understanding and will to help you with your problems. SA is a weird in that even some counselors/psychiatrists,psychologists, ect dont' really take it that seriously and have a "just get over it and stop whining" attitude about it. Somtimes you have to try several times to get one who understands what a serious condition it is/can be.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What u should have done was, after a week passed n u received no letter, rang them.

But as it is, u have options, u can find a new councillor who might understand your condition better.
Or, u can write a letter to him n explain that u really want to dedicate yourself to councilling, and you apologize for missing appointments , u know now u should have telephoned when no app letters where sent to you from his office n u didn't know the dates, but as u hav high anxiety making calls u didn't, but that u hope he will give u a chance to learn from this...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't sound like you were happy with the counseling you were receiving anyway. I would view it as an opportunity to find a better counselor who will be more understanding and will to help you with your problems. SA is a weird in that even some counselors/psychiatrists,psychologists, ect dont' really take it that seriously and have a "just get over it and stop whining" attitude about it. Somtimes you have to try several times to get one who understands what a serious condition it is/can be.
I was happy for basic anxiety, but you're right I wasn't happy for social anxiety. My problem is when I'm not happy with a service I don't want to hurt someones feelings. I think I'll re-apply for counseling but somewhere else, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What u should have done was, after a week passed n u received no letter, rang them.

But as it is, u have options, u can find a new councillor who might understand your condition better.
Or, u can write a letter to him n explain that u really want to dedicate yourself to councilling, and you apologize for missing appointments , u know now u should have telephoned when no app letters where sent to you from his office n u didn't know the dates, but as u hav high anxiety making calls u didn't, but that u hope he will give u a chance to learn from this...
Yeah I think I'll just find a new councillor. I can ring people up weirdly, I'm fine with it. My anxiety comes and goes I guess in certain things. I regret not ringing the office but I find it hard to dedicate myself to anything. I'll just find a new counillor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts