Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just recently gotten a notice that I've failed to respond to my jury summons, due to having lost a couple in the past. Seems to me like the city is doing everything they can to get money out of it's citizens. I feel like I'm going to have to respond to this one, or get fined up to $1,500.

What should I say when I call? What would you say? I was planning on saying that I've never received any notices of jury summons, due to the possibilty of it getting stolen or lost out of the mail box. I'm not looking forward to this phone call, ugh...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you have a doctor's note or are you on medication? You could tell them you have SA and explain simply why you didn't go. Btw I had to do jury service and oh ugh! However though I did have an interesting experience. The most scary thing out of it most of all was having to stand up in front of many people saying all that a juror has to say.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
I fear the day as well, I actually have only gotten one and was moving out of state at the time. You can usually write a detailed excuse and cross your fingers and sometimes they will comply. My wife was able to get out of it just because we have a baby. I plan on at least trying when the time comes.

Let us know what happens!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Somehow I've never received a jury notice despite being a licensed driver for the last 20 years. Most states go with DMV records as they're deemed more representative of the overall population than registered voters.

I seriously doubt that I'd ever make it onto a jury. Simply telling the truth about what I think would get me booted from almost any case. Do I have any preconceived biases -- oh, yes, lots of them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was constantly getting them from the day I turned 18 and I would always get out of it by telling them I was in school. When I finally graduated and got another in the mail I finally sucked it up and went (panicking the whole time). All I did was sit there for 3 days and my name was never called, that was 4 years ago. And sure enough they've sent me a new summons....but to my old address, whew. Anyway so I'd tell them you're in school, if it's believable of course lol

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I think they actually send out more requests then they need, so they only start hunting people down if they don't get enough replies. I've actually ignored one summons, and another time I just wrote them a letter back saying that I'm diagnosed with an anxiety disorder - didn't even send a doctor's note. I always had the doctor to back me up if it came down to it though. I wouldn't risk lying if you don't have an official diagnosis. They might randomly call you on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't been to the doctor to be diagnosed, and I'm not willing to because I don't make enough income and I don't care about my health enough to spend on medical bills. I also haven't been a student in about two years.

Would saying that it might have been stolen out of mailbox or mailed to a different address be a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I got a summons a few years ago, I telephoned the clerk with the intention of saying that as one of only three employees in my father's business, it would cause problems. The woman who answered the phone wouldn't even listen though and she just kept ranting and saying things like "It's your duty!". Yes, right, I must have missed the part where I signed up to be a slave to the justice system. I thought about sending an application form off to be a Special (a part-time, unpaid policeman) which would have been enough to get me out of jury duty but in the end I just sent a letter signed by my dad with my original excuse. It wasn't on headed notepaper and they never telephoned to verify that it was genuine but a couple of days later I was excused. Since then I've accidentally disappeared off the electoral register...

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Do you have a doctor's note or are you on medication? You could tell them you have SA and explain simply why you didn't go. Btw I had to do jury service and oh ugh! However though I did have an interesting experience. The most scary thing out of it most of all was having to stand up in front of many people saying all that a juror has to say.
This is great advice. If you have a medical reason, especially a psychological one, then you shouldn't have any problem getting out of it. Better get on it ASAP, though, because they can put your butt in jail... at least in most states. Good luck!

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
When I got a summons a few years ago, I telephoned the clerk with the intention of saying that as one of only three employees in my father's business, it would cause problems. The woman who answered the phone wouldn't even listen though and she just kept ranting and saying things like "It's your duty!". Yes, right, I must have missed the part where I signed up to be a slave to the justice system. I thought about sending an application form off to be a Special (a part-time, unpaid policeman) which would have been enough to get me out of jury duty but in the end I just sent a letter signed by my dad with my original excuse. It wasn't on headed notepaper and they never telephoned to verify that it was genuine but a couple of days later I was excused. Since then I've accidentally disappeared off the electoral register...
I did the same. I managed to post-pone my summons for a year because I'm self-employed. I wrote a letter to the court saying that it would severely impact my income. Fortunately, when I did have to go, both my cases got dismissed. I really lucked out! :boogie

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
So I've just recently gotten a notice that I've failed to respond to my jury summons, due to having lost a couple in the past. Seems to me like the city is doing everything they can to get money out of it's citizens. I feel like I'm going to have to respond to this one, or get fined up to $1,500.

What should I say when I call? What would you say? I was planning on saying that I've never received any notices of jury summons, due to the possibilty of it getting stolen or lost out of the mail box. I'm not looking forward to this phone call, ugh...
Tell the truth! You did lose track of the other notifications. You are responding to this one because you didn't know that you were still being contacted. Yes, these places are trying to get money in this wonderful economy.

I just spent $145 (yes, American dollars) on a 38mph in a 25mph speeding ticket. They charged me more because they said it was my second ticket in a year - the first one wasn't even in the same county!

You HAVE to appear or face the fine and possibly a warrant. The only way out is a doctor's excuse, but honestly, I did it anyway. They can get you - you aren't responding to something you legally have to. You're a citizen.

They may even seem harsh, but they are doing their job - and probably hate doing it. Just find out what information you need to know. Then, bring it up here - we can walk you through it.

Jury duty? I did it twice within a six month period after my father died in 2007 (imagine being called for duty in a period of grief and I was Juror #3 in the County case!). The first was FEDERAL court, the second was COUNTY. You may even get paid for your time if it is jury duty.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the advice/info.

So I called, and I'm relieved to know that I'm in no trouble at all and they just appreciated my response to their notice. However, I am now registered for jury duty and must be 'on call' for a full week, and I picked the week of August 10th.

They automatically assumed that it must have gotten lost in the mail. I didn't have to say anything! The lady I talked to seemed like she was reading off a paper or really used to dealing with these situations. I was pretty much asked questions with yes or no answers. Well I'm glad that's over with.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
^ Glad things worked out for you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts