Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am considered part of the normal crowd, I hear what the others say about us. They were talking about one guy at work who never talks to anyone. If he sees you on the elevator, he refuses to get on. When one of my female co-workers passed by him, he flattened himself against the wall so they wouldn't touch according to her. They call him a freak and say he probably has bodies in his basement jokingly. The weird thing is, they don't really care. It is just something to talk about. To me, it is an obvious case of extreme SAD. I think they would be shocked to learn that he suffers from an actual disease. I know they would mock me if they knew I posted on a forum like this. They sound like bad people, but they are really not. I love working with them. I am just shocked at how little is known about SAD by the regular person.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Sabailos,

Yep - I know about this, especially after what I went through this year. People at work don't give me the time of day and avoid me as much as possible. Some have gone as far as turning their head or even running past my office so I wouldn't see them.

What hurts more than anything is that people I don't even know heard about me being the "psycho" and are afraid to come near me. I don't have the chance to show them that I am not a freak, like a social "Elephant Man." :stu

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've never had SA, I actually found this site while searching for a support group for general stress. Sometimes work and life can get to me, and it's just overwhelming. :) I stayed around because I've met some really, really nice people here! To be honest, I didn't know it existed either. It really seems pretty normal to me; how people get SA and WHY they would get it. People can be so mean! I think I've met more interesting and fun people here than I have anywhere else. :) It's true- a whole lot of peope don't know about SA, and I bet there's a lot of people that don't even realize it, but they may have it themselves. It's nice to know that if I need support I can come here to get it, even if I don't have SA. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Saibalos: Do you say anything in this guy's defence? I'd likely say something like - oh come on now - just because the guy has a fear of people doesn't mean he has bodies in the basement.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Yeah, I don't have bodies in my basement! Just clothes....not even a mannequin! :lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cj said:
Saibalos: Do you say anything in this guy's defence? I'd likely say something like - oh come on now - just because the guy has a fear of people doesn't mean he has bodies in the basement.
I am not sure what to say. I would not feel comfortable talking about this with my co-workers. Of course, they are joking when they say he has bodies. Haven't heard anything about it since. Most people if asked to comment would say that guy is weird. But I learned that they really don't think about it. They have their own lives and families to worry about. Maybe SA is narcissistic in a way. Most people are too wrapped up in their own lives to care about others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.