Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
did you install the new msn? 7.0 or whatever, the one you have to actually download? because it doesn't replace the one that came with windows, and the one that came with windows sometimes gets into such a mode where it's on, and you're online with it, but you can't see the icon anywhere or anything... (thanks windows!)... otherwise i dunno. is it an actual msn window? as though you had msn running and someone messaged you?

if you press ctrl+alt+del, in the processes list, how many msnmsgr.exe do you see? you could try killing any msnmsgr.exe and see if it stops

if the messages aren't normal msn message windows, it's something else... windows has a network messaging system built in, and hackers can sometimes send messages to your machine with it, but it's just like a dialog box, there's no way to reply

·
Registered
435 Posts
ctrl+alt+del, or right click on the task bar at the bottom and choose "task manager"... then choose the "processes" tab :) click on "image name" to sort them by the name of the exe.. so you can find msnmsgr.exe

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are these like grey boxes that appear on the screen?

Try this:
Start > Run
Type MSConfig
Click "Services"
Look for a listing called "Messenger" (or maybe MS Messenger)
Make sure the box for it isn't checked.
Click apply.

·
Registered
191 Posts
DrDoc said:
I wouldnt use msconfig to disable services. I have talked to a few people and have found that it can somewhat fug up the system. Instead if you want to disable the messenger service (not msn messenger, you can still go to msconfig for that), go to control panel ->administrative tools ->services. Look for messenger, right click on it and select properties, and in the drop down menu select disable and apply the changes. That should solve the random pop ups that you might have been getting.
That's were I meant to go. It's been a while since I dealt with that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts