Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this thread has already existed but thought it would be useful for those trying to overcome their SA by themselves.

So I'm trying to mingle a little more with new room mates. I want to be a friend rather than someone they just share a house with. Normally I would just stay in my room and avoid leaving if I heard any activity, but I actually went downstairs and made conversation with people out of *want* rather than feeling the need to, which I am happy about.

Of course, all I want is acceptance, especially as I am the new person, so I'm trying to leave a good impression, but I keep getting those lingering negative thoughts - "what if they don't like me?" "I'm trying to be more social, but what if they still think I'm anti-social" yadda yadda, but I'm trying to shake them off.

Baby steps, I know, but I just want it all to go away NOW! :roll

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well this wasnt today but yesterday I spoke on the phone for 8 hours. Its my job yes, but its also my biggest fear.

I have a very hard time making phone calls and talking on the phone in general. What I did was get a job at a call center so as to face said fear.

·
Registered
727 Posts
- went to a few major shopping centres (big deal for me), looked around and tested some colognes, got some shoes, cheap jumper for cold weather at home and got some coffee, made some small talk too with some retail people :)

- asked if there was any open positions at a store (she tells me to apply online.....lol)

- didnt stay quiet when my anxiety was telling me not to say anything, i just did it

- went on facebook (hate it, these days if you arent on facebook people assume you died) went on chat for a bit, talked to a few people i havent in ages and im planning to catch up with some old friends

- went for a drive which in a way does provoke anxiety but its not a big deal

·
I have tried too long
1,272 Posts
Went clothes shopping all by myself, and actually managed to buy things, which is a huge thing for me, because usually I get so anxious while shopping that I can't even concentrate or remember what I actually need to buy :um

·
Smexy
3,551 Posts
Went clothes shopping all by myself, and actually managed to buy things, which is a huge thing for me, because usually I get so anxious while shopping that I can't even concentrate or remember what I actually need to buy :um
I know how that is. I get nervous sometimes when the clerks are watching me check out clothing. For me, it's learning how to be more friendly. I've realized how in the past I never tried connecting with people, because I felt too cool for them when in reality connecting with them is all I desire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's awesome! Keep it up :D

Here's my ongoing process:
-exercise and eating right
-yoga, meditation, hypnosis
-exposure
-self compassion and a little cbt

Do whatever works for you and stick with it! In a year or two, you'll look back and think, "woah, was that really me??"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts