Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is just my second post. I have never really opened up and told anyone about my SA. Just recently I have told one member of my family, but have not told any other member of my immediate family. I have one really good friend, but I have not told him either. My question is do you think it is a good idea to open up about this to family and friends. For those of you that have, did it do any good or would it have been better not to tell them. I doubt they will understand and I don't want them to see me differently. I am so torn.

Brian

· SAS Member
31,308 Posts
It feels like you want to just get this off of your chest. If that is the case then I would tell them. If they don't understand then I doubt they will treat you any different. You can always tell them that you don't want them to treat you any differently know that they know.

· Registered
19,067 Posts
Everytime I see an SA'r on these forums who's told a "friend" about it, they seem to regret doing so. I would be extremely cautious when considering telling a friend.

As for family, I told mine (in writing - a print-out actually) and while they don't fully "get me", they do understand my quirks now (as in, if I disappear from a social gathering or avoid it altogether, they don't question it). I don't have to explain myself. I don't have to keep up the facade that everything's OK when I'm with them. Yes.. telling the family was a great weight off my shoulders.

· Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,240 Posts
This is just my opinion. It's better to open up to a doctor/therapist. Because people, when you start telling them of a "defect", they will see you differently. Tell someone who can help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.