Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to go to my doctor on Tuesday about medication for anxiety (GAD, SAD). Are there any suggestions about things I should ask her about, or tell her?

Basically I am hoping to find something that will actually help reduce the worrying, rather than just the physical symptoms. I have been told that some medications can do this.

·
Banned
232 Posts
a book on how to stop worrying will help more than meds

most docs are sadly antidepressants only for anxiety but try to get some valium and a beta blocker to take as needed

you may need to convince him that you really are an anxiety sufferer and not an addict wanting more valium

im in melbourne

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a book on how to stop worrying will help more than meds

most docs are sadly antidepressants only for anxiety but try to get some valium and a beta blocker to take as needed

you may need to convince him that you really are an anxiety sufferer and not an addict wanting more valium

im in melbourne
Thanks arth,

I have read books and had therapy for nearly a year. That has been helpful, but I'm just looking for a bit of extra help. Mainly I want to reduce the worrying rather than physical symptoms... I think Valium and beta blockers are aimed at the physical symptoms? From what I understand there are antidepressants that have been shown to be effective for anxiety.

Lol, my doctor knows I'm not an addict =P I'm just hoping she does actually know what she's talking about re: prescribing anxiety medications. She generally seems to be pretty good, but I'm not the expert.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am going to go to my doctor on Tuesday about medication for anxiety (GAD, SAD). Are there any suggestions about things I should ask her about, or tell her?

Basically I am hoping to find something that will actually help reduce the worrying, rather than just the physical symptoms. I have been told that some medications can do this.
Hey MUG.

If you know you need something like a benzo, tellling them you get panic attacks is a surefire way to get them. I doubt you'd have trouble anyway, but if they seem reluctant...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts