Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it was probably during my childhood:

When I was in my native country as a child I used to be so happy. I didn't need anyone to make me happy, it was like a dream world. Because it was a third world country, you had to walk every where in order to travel. I would go through the whole city (not joking) as a 9 year old, and it was amazing. I seriously did not give a single **** about anyone or what they thought.

But then everything changed when I had a pretty traumatic experience and also because I came to the united states, which is not my native country.

What about you guys? what period in your life were you most outgoing?

- the only thing left for me is to hustle

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
what is your native country??

i was most social when i was young too, but there were fleeting problems, like when i went to kindergarten i didn't make any friends (and was sad and lost and walked aimlessly and would always pester the recess monitor lady about when was it going to tend). but then my mom switched me into another school (she had been wanting to get me into that one the whole time) and, miraculously, i made a lot friends, and everything was fine (all the way up until high school because i stayed with those same kids that long).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Between 14 to 16...two great years really! I had tons of friends and was really popular. However, family problems and maybe other reasons that I still can't figure out caused me to gradually become avoidant and isolated.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
Ages 15-16, while I was on Prozac. It made me into an extremely outgoing person who would talk to anyone and everyone without thought. I ended up being incredibly annoying and a totally different person who I wasn't happy with. I was meant to be an introvert.

·
Such is life
554 Posts
Never. I've always been shy and severely social phobic no matter what. I've gotten a little bit better though throughout the years. Maybe one day I'll be cured.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a genetic predisposition for depression, and I've had dysthymia (Like constant, minor depression) since I was 10. There really hasn't been a point in my life where I felt happy and liked. I did get along with people a lot better from 3rd grade and back though. I think once it became obvious that I wasn't quite "normal," other kids started to avoid me more.

·
Hi/Hola
2,091 Posts
hi

Mine was 19 to 21. I was hanging out with some friends and some of them didn't go well which my SA started affecting me more since then.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think I was the most outgoing in elementary school. I was also diagnosed w/ ADHD and bullied. I didn't really have any friends in school except 1 (my best friend at the time) but this girl pitied me and let me hang w/ her and her friends. But I guess I was so hyper everyone found me annoying. I would literally be bouncing off the walls in school. I was loud and couldn't shut the **** up. And did some strange things, some of which got me in trouble. I think I was funny back then though. So I would say when I was in elementary school.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a pretty good group of friends my junior-senior year of high school. It was the first time I really had a number of people I could feel comfortable around, joke with, and hang out with whenever I wanted. Unfortunately after high school they all moved off to college or forgot about me (guess they weren't really friends), and now my SA is at it's worst point.
I've always had SA - I'm sure I showed signs of it even from elementary school. I'm not sure how I even managed to make friends once i was in high school, especially since I was bullied often and the brunt of a lot of bad rumors. I wish I could remember how I managed to make those friends. It would be really useful to know that now, when I'm the loneliest I've ever been.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Probably 14-15. I had a few good regular friends (one of whom is still a close friend today), was involved in extracurriculars, did well in school. I was never at any point in my life objectively outgoing, but I was happy during this period.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I was in middle school/late elementary school. Idk lol, I got bullied sometimes, plenty of haters, but I was kinda popular with girls and I played sports so I was better off socially than right now for sure.

·
Registered
725 Posts
About 11-14 i was at times, very comfortable with myself and outgoing. Somehow i ended up with many friends. Things happened and i lost the plot. I could not connect with anyone anymore. There has been moments of no fear since, depends on my mood, situation and person.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I was completely and absolutely comfortable with myself until 6th grade... not that it was traumatic then but that was when everyone started going through different phases and cliques started happening. I was definitely very conscious of who was social, who wasn't and I tried fitting in with the popular kids from that point on.

Some point in jr. high was when I decided I was done with trying to be someone else and I just let it all go. Stopped going out all the time, no more parties, no more staying out late, no more caring about appearance and impressing everyone else... I made friends who were more introverted and kind of stuck with the same kind of people for a while, which made me rather quiet and a bit judgmental of others who acted the same way as those kids who tried to be cool.

So being friends with some shyer, introverted kids... I kind of missed out on a lot of social events, but at the same time I'm still a social and outgoing person if I'm comfortable around people. I just haven't experienced as wide of a range of people as I'd like (which is my fault for being judgmental) and being nervous made me miss out on certain experiences (like forming relationships).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Never. I am always the quiet, reserved, introverted loner. When there are opportunities to go out, I'd take them sometimes, not always.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ages 15-16, while I was on Prozac. It made me into an extremely outgoing person who would talk to anyone and everyone without thought. I ended up being incredibly annoying and a totally different person who I wasn't happy with. I was meant to be an introvert.
You've stopped using Prozac?

·
Registered
270 Posts
In college I acquired a "band of brothers," if you will, and one close female friend. One friend in particular, who lived in my dorm, was by my side always. Perhaps I clung to the guys too much for safety, but they forced me out of my SA. Little by little I was exposed to situations I would have otherwise never experienced. With that sense of invincibility, I took it upon myself to seek out life on my own. I could do things by myself that I had never been able to do before. I was probably too confident at times, and took some chances I shouldn't have... And it's probably why I'm some what of an ******* today. I feel like I've found a balance being kind and assertive, but now I'm pretty much alone. I'm trying to gain that confidence back so I can call the bank for a new debit card...

·
Banned
2,592 Posts
The kinder garden time and the first year in the school. I don't even know what happened then, i just slowly started to change.. :um

1 - 20 of 98 Posts