Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I saw a therapist for a couple of years. Very expensive but I really enjoyed being able to express my feelings which I normally keep to myself. I decided to quit therapy for a number of reasons. I think I left in a better state than I started, but I was still far, far from where I wanted to be in terms of a social life.

Thanks to this forum I got the idea that pills might help me so I saw my GP. I was given 20mg of Citalopram which instantly I found to be effective although I didn't see any improvement on 40mg so I dropped back down to 20mg.

Even with reduced anxiety, I'm not happy. I want proper friends, I want a boyfriend and a decent social life and I still don't feel able to do that. The doc always wanted to refer me to state-funded counselling but that won't work for me since I have a job.

The only option I see is
a) try other pills and see if they're any better (I feel the doc would probably not entertain this idea since Citalopram is working)
b) find a private therapist that does CBT

What do people think, particularly about CBT? Is it worth doing? Is it likely to help me?

·
.:focused:...
223 Posts
seems like maybe you should keep trying the medication along with therapy. I am actually in CBT therapy at the moment, and I personally like it! It is a process though.
I feel you though. I have been in therapy for a few months now and am in the same situation. I want a proper social life and friends and a partner.
Whatever you do, keep moving forward!!

Also, have you tried a better diet and exercising? I've found that those have helped reduce my anxiety (plus it doubles as exposure therapy).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Everyone with SAD should try CBT. It doesn't work for everyone, but most people with SAD improve as a result of doing CBT. If you can afford it, getting a private therapist that does CBT would probably be a good move, IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts