Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Am new on here, having recently diagnosed myself after searching the internet - realised I had to do something as my life was becoming unbearable.

I've always done well academically and have very good friends but was finding I was unable to make progress in my career and life in general as my social anxiety seemed to be getting worse since I accepted a job abroad. I suppose being in a situation where I was always meeting new people threw me (I had previously worked in the same office for several years and was comfortable with the people there).

I have problems in meetings (being afraid to speak, not being able to get my words out or my point across calmly and subsequently beating myself up about it because of my fear/ incompetence/etc) and when challenged by colleagues (I am very self-critical but it's worse when they do it - I cave in but then also beat myself up about that!) I stutter, clam up, the list goes on, and generally feel like an idiot, although my rational side knows I am not.

Anyway, just recognising that there is a name for what I have and reading about the features of this disorder has already helped - I know what to avoid doing now and have already made some progress.

Not sure about visiting the doctor though - I have been on meds several times for depression before (it was more than likely linked to SAD now I think about it) and would rather avoid taking anything as I didn't feel much benefit.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

C

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Cla :wels

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Therapy. CBT work is really helpful. Taking up weight lifting or yoga or martial arts. Avoiding alcohol, drugs, and coffee. Um...having a friend who understand social anxiety. I think having someone at work will help you out there, too.
I'm Jasmine by the way. I'm kinda new here as well but definitely not new to social anxiety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Jasmine - thanks very much for your advice. I will look into CBT in my area ~ I did have some sessions years ago for depression and found it helped, but that was at least 10 years ago - I need a refresher course! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again, I think the next step for me will be a couple of sessions with a counsellor - yes you're right joinmartin, a second opinion, i.e. not just my own, would probably be of benefit in any diagnosis!!

However, I was told when I was 21 that I was a manic depressive - then 2 weeks later the same psychiatrist told me he had made a mistake and there was nothing wrong with me, and I was discharged from his care. However, I also got some free CBT back then which, as I say, was helpful. Don't really want to go down the NHS psychiatrist/ CPN route again though.

Thanks also bloggingagainstSA, I will check out the Dr Richards series.

:)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Cla! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts