Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been avoiding a lot, not being willing to push myself or put myself into situations I previously would have tried. There's a new thought I feel in my anticipation of any social interaction - a 'why bother' thought. Nothing's ever worked for me before, and I'm weary of continuing to force myself to feel anxious for nothing. I'm getting closer to feeling alright with isolation in the real world and just using the internet for my socializing.

So, how do you keep pushing yourself to try?

·
Father, Son & Holyzilla
7,386 Posts
Regret of wasting so many years in bed doing nothing wasting my life. It kills me inside knowing every single person I talk to have something interesting to say or do at such young ages. I feel like that I should do something fun at minimum once a week or every weekend with the occasional vacation to somewhere interesting.

I also haven't enjoyed life much and want to get rid of this ever lasting state of boredom I suffer through. I also need to work towards a career and can't let anxiety keep winning. It's time I start living for myself.

·
Person of Interest
481 Posts
You'll be motivated to do it if what you expect to gain from it is more important than the fact that what you're doing is something that's undesirable.

For example, some people have a hard time going to work or to the supermarket, but they do it because they need to in order to survive. With direct social interaction it's probably much more difficult, and it's discouraging because you won't always gain anything from it, but you have to focus on your goal and decide if it's worth it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's better than not trying at all. At least if you try, there's a chance you'll succeed.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Sometimes it's school or work related so I don't really have a choice but to put myself in situations that make me feel a bit nervous. Presentations or public speaking for example. I have to do them every two weeks. I was so nervous during my first year that I'd go to workshops to help myself improve and lower the levels of anxiety I felt. I still get a little nervous sometimes but I definitely feel a lot more confident doing presentations now or being put on the spot. It comes from the consistent practice of just doing it and being able to look back and see what I can improve on.

My work place also throws parties often and to be honest, they're not exactly my cup of tea. The people that attend aren't people I'd really talk to on my own, but I just think of it as a chance to continue to feel more comfortable in situations that make me feel a bit nervous. Sometimes I feel like to odd one out since I don't like to drink as much as they do or talk about the things they bring up (they can also be a bit obnoxious) but there's usually at least one person somewhere that I feel comfortable with, so I spend most of my time with them lol. I guess I'm still avoiding the situation in a way but not entirely since I'm there.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
"You can be anything you set your mind to. If anyone says you can't, take that as a challenge to prove them wrong. Some people think it is impossible to accomplish their dreams. That's only true if they don't try, if they try they will surprise not only themselves but everyone around them."

This among other things.

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
As a guy I have certain specific motivations to go be social and fight through the anxiety.

Kind of funny how my mind is at war with itself, "GO be social! No Don't, I'm Scared!"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Usually I have to get good and angry with myself. I pretty much wasted a decade of my life hiding from things that may or may not have caused an issue for me. It wasn't until 2 major health issues which almost killed me that I started to ask myself if this was how I wanted to spend my life. I started thinking about all the things I could have done in my 20s and early 30s that I didn't and now it's too late to do those things. I asked myself what I was waiting for, my next life? Because who knows how much time I have if I'd already almost kicked the bucket twice in a short period of time. That's why when I have to do something I most certainly, absolutely would rather avoid, I'm trying to make myself just go through with it. It's gotten a little better. I keep telling myself 'this too shall pass', lol. And it does. And it didn't kill me.

Only downside is my poor family has to deal with me being a basket case before I hit the angry stage, and that can't be too fun for them either.

If it's a motivation thing, you know, you sit there for awhile and get more and more isolated and then it gets real hard to find a place to start again, or to even care, I have to sometimes just let myself be that way awhile and make myself NOT think about all the things I 'should' be doing. I think the worst thing is being too hard on ourselves and it makes it worse. Especially when you start comparing yourself to a 'normal' person. Then that quickly turns into a 'why bother?' situation. I spent 6 years 'not bothering'. I had to learn to try something that I alone wanted to do or try...something that had nothing to do with anyone else personally (like a party, or dinner out, or food shopping, or, heck just getting into the car). What I started with was painting my room green. :yes That required me to get into a vehicle (I don't drive, so my spouse carts me around. Someday I may get a license and drive but I can't even fathom that right now). And going to a hardware store. And talking to the guy in the paint dept. I just tried to focus on the outcome: my room painted a color I liked, and NOT focus on the steps that led up to it, which involved going somewhere and speaking to someone (who I was sure was judging me on my color choice lol). It worked surprisingly well. After my room I moved onto something else. It's a slow process but it works out alright.:b

·
Great White Shark
545 Posts
As Tony Robbins said, many people do the things they fear because they fear more what will happen if they don't do them. I know that if I keep succumbing to the anxiety, my life will be miserable, so I've always kept fighting it and try to "do it anyway". It is painful, but it is what's got me so far, and every time I think about not doing something I need but want to avoid badly, I think, "What will my life be like if I don't do it?". After that I usually do it right away. :)

Just as now I remember meeting my first and last girlfriend in the US. I hesitated between talking to her and going away, but the question that made me go for it was, "How bad will it be to wonder what could happen if I talked to her?". I realized that I wouldn't be able to handle it, and I did it, dammit!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Necessity, e.g. job-searching so I can pay rent.

Cabin fever, i.e. I feel stir-crazy if I'm inside too long.

Or if I'm actually feeling good for once. It happens on occasion.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Because if I do nothing my family will moan at me for doing nothing which will cause me anxiety anyway. So either way I feel ****ing anxiety.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,154 Posts
I don't do it enough.

Sometimes I go through periods where I just feel better and I can manage certain things. If I'm feeling really down then nothing will work to motivate me until I get out of that mood, I just have no desire to do things when I feel like that, and that's what stops me because when that desire is there then I can try to challenge myself and it feels worth it.

·
Banned
3,670 Posts
An act of defiance against myself. I have mostly always been a non-conforming, rebel without a cause kind of guy. I want to rebel against the depression that is ruling my body disallowing me to enjoy anything in life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts