Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What meds work best for you?

I take bupropion and had good success with it.

I would love to know which ones are considered the most effective for SA?

·
Registered
364 Posts
ativan works pretty good for me, ssri's are horrible for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had been trying to find the best drug for SA and since I hate feeling tired during the day I completely stayed away from SSRI's and went with bupropion..
It took weeks of using it before It worked the way I hoped it would.

I don't know which ones are commonly used for SA though?

I had started taking a tiny bit of Selegiline once in a while which seems effective but is too early to tell.
Anyways, they are not supposed to be mixed together though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, of course for me Klonopin worked the best for anxiety, but that's NOT something a considered to be a long-term solution.

So I tried Celexa and it has - despite what 99% percent of people on this forum with SA have experienced/claim - worked quite well for my SA at only 20 mg.

SSRIs are definitely worth a shot and should not be avoided just because of their bad rap in the SA community. There's a good enough chance that you will respond well to one. I'd suggest Lexapro/Celexa because they usually produce less side-effects than most. If money is an issue, go with Celexa because Lexapro is still relativity expensive, as it's not yet generic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had been trying to find the best drug for SA and since I hate feeling tired during the day I completely stayed away from SSRI's and went with bupropion..
It took weeks of using it before It worked the way I hoped it would.

I don't know which ones are commonly used for SA though?

I had started taking a tiny bit of Selegiline once in a while which seems effective but is too early to tell.
Anyways, they are not supposed to be mixed together though.
Paxil made me VERY lethargic, but Celexa actually has a stimulating effect on me - Prozac also has this effect on most.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Celexa for me.. started with half a 20 mg pill and then onto the full one. It really, really did wonders. Awful side effects during the first week (drowsiness, hot & then cold, insomnia, even teeth grinding for 2 nights), but which soon subsided.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So far i have tried prozac, Zoloft, Klonopin, Trazadone, welbutrin, and adderall. Out of all those Klonopin definitely helped the most. It has since lost its strength. I started Adderall this week and so far i been a talking up a storm haha. But from what others say the effects wear off after a few days. Something that works for someone else may not work for another person. Its like a personal "cocktail" you have to find, usually by trial and error what works.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
So I tried Celexa and it has - despite what 99% percent of people on this forum with SA have experienced/claim - worked quite well for my SA at only 20 mg.
Celexa for me.. started with half a 20 mg pill and then onto the full one. It really, really did wonders. Awful side effects during the first week (drowsiness, hot & then cold, insomnia, even teeth grinding for 2 nights), but which soon subsided.
It's good to hear that such a low dose of Celexa has worked for you guys, may I ask, how is it long term in terms of side effects/ sexual dysfunction?

·
Banned
118 Posts
It's good to hear that such a low dose of Celexa has worked for you guys, may I ask, how is it long term in terms of side effects/ sexual dysfunction?
Well I haven't experienced the latter, and my other side effects were limited to only the first week at each dosage. Except for the insomnia, but that comes and goes and can hardly be blamed solely on the meds.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well I haven't experienced the latter, and my other side effects were limited to only the first week at each dosage. Except for the insomnia, but that comes and goes and can hardly be blamed solely on the meds.
That's good to hear, I was on 10 mg of lexapro (apparently the equivilent of 40 mg of celexa) and it just felt too potent for me, even though it's claimed to be a low dose. I think that some people may actually react best to really low doses of SSRI's.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I wouldn't go with just an SSRI long-term, dopamine is heavily involved in this disorder. Celexa worked for me in the beginning, but after a year I didn't care much about anything anymore, and had no desire to be social.

I'm now on Bupropion (300mg/day extended release), and gonna start with a very low dose of Fluoxetine, because it seems to have an interesting interaction with the former (it can potentiate it, and it inhibits the enzyme that coverts bupropion into the metabolite that acts mainly on NE, therefor prolonging the availability of the original molecule, which acts mainly on DA - details on wikipedia).

After a year I figured I might (from baseline) need quite a boost in dopamine levels, a slight boost in serotonine levels, and an average boost in norepinephrine levels. With this combination I might succeed in getting just that.

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
Effexor has been a wonder drug for me at 300mg(max dosage). I don't think it's approved for SA, but whatever works, right? It's the only med that completely eliminated blushing and sweating for me.

The only drawbacks I had were the orgasm issue, which passed sometime between weeks 4 and 8. I also had vivid & horrifying dreams which also passed with time. So if you don't mind going to sleep and seeing your grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife, it could be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Effexor has been a wonder drug for me at 300mg(max dosage). I don't think it's approved for SA, but whatever works, right?
Effexor XR is FDA approved for social anxiety disorder.

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
Propranolol/Inderal has made a world of difference for me when giving presentations, job interviews, first week of class or first week at a new job. In the past if I took a class and the teacher asked us to go around and introduce ourselves, my heart would be pounding so hard that not only would I struggle to say what I wanted, I was incapable of paying attention to what others said. Now I'm just mildly uncomfortable and able to feel like part of the class. In the past I've been so uncomfortable on the first day of class that I've dropped the class. That problem is solved.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's all about trial and error really. Sometimes you start off on the right medication prescribed to you, sometimes you don't. Meaning, sometimes you have to go through a few, to find out which one works for you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts