Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffer from severe depression. Has anyone had any success with any meds (not including benzos) that have helped them with depression? If so how much have they helped you?

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes of course. I take pristiq right now and it definatly helps. Ive tried alot of antidepressants and thinking back they all work great for depression, but its the side effects that drive me crazy on some of them.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The most effective antidepressants for me have been Adderall, Dexedrine, and Ritalin. The somewhat effective and less taboo antidepressants have been Celexa, Remeron, and lithium.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Unselective MAOIs (Nardil, Parnate, Marplan) are the absolute most efficacious 24/7 medications for atypical, chronic, and melancholic depression.

I'm not depressed, I take Nardil for social phobia. However, several days ago I began to feel a random mood-lift when I woke up for the day - it was like a subtle mental euphoria. These meds don't weaken depression, they can literally take it away and replace it with happiness. A member on the previous version of this site once commented on Nardil saying "after a few weeks, you experience a golden batch of neurotransmitters."
:-D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Prozac lifted my mood the most, it was the only med where I could start to see the the grass being greener and the sky bluer etc. However for SA prozac sucks, it just made me feel like a jittery, nauseated mess.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Antidepressants work extremely well for me for about a week (to the point where I actually feel happy). After that, they have nothing more than a protective effect against severe depression (which is better than nothing). I think I might be on the bipolar spectrum though, despite what any of my doctors may think. I know antidepressants aren't supposed to work that quickly, and yet they do for me.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
My combination of Geodon, Paxil and Adderall has relieved most of my depression. But I have to have all 3.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Things that have helped my depression (in no particular order):

• Prozac
  • Moclobemide
  • Nardil
  • Xanax
  • Magnesium
  • Ketamine
  • Nitrous oxide
  • Codeine
  • Kratom
  • Morphine/opium
  • Rhodiola
  • St. John's Wort
  • PEA
  • Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
  • Selegiline
  • Mirtazapine
  • Kava

·
Registered
544 Posts
Antidepressants work extremely well for me for about a week (to the point where I actually feel happy). After that, they have nothing more than a protective effect against severe depression (which is better than nothing). I think I might be on the bipolar spectrum though, despite what any of my doctors may think. I know antidepressants aren't supposed to work that quickly, and yet they do for me.
I actually find the same thing too. But I remain on them because of a slightly calmer effect I get from them which is beneficial for my panic attacks, rubbish for SA though.

What I actually believe is, the receptors of the brain become a bit sensitive to the adjustment of serotonin which is why you get a that happy feeling a while, then the receptors adjust and become desensitised. The only way to repeat that feeling is to keep increasing the dose regularly, but even then you have risk of producing serotonin syndrome.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cymbalta worked like a charm for me, but I had to stop using it due to it's rather steep price tag (10 bucks a pop :eek:). Reading about it now, it was probably for the best. It seems to have many adverse effects. But while I took it, something magical truly happened, I felt well. :|

·
Registered
345 Posts
Citalopram nor Wellbutrin worked for me, high-dose magnesium for 2 weeks did (1200 mg). Nowadays I take 600mg a day and my depression probably won't ever come back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds weird but klonopin gives me more energy and it's anxiolytic for me. It's sort of activating. I know klonopin does not affect serotonin or dopamine but it's gives me a relief of depression.
yea same in a way. it makes me unmotivated (maybe it takes time to get over) but overall i feel more happy. Jolly you could say. its an interesting med. I almost feel more anxious and less in other ways. My body feels anxious but my mind is calm.
good for you though! cuz antidepressants are just sucky sometimes.
and actually it might affect serotonin a little bit. and dopamine too, thats why it can be abused.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Things that have helped my depression (in no particular order):

• Prozac
  • Moclobemide
  • Nardil
  • Xanax
  • Magnesium
  • Ketamine
  • Nitrous oxide
  • Codeine
  • Kratom
  • Morphine/opium
  • Rhodiola
  • St. John's Wort
  • PEA
  • Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
  • Selegiline
  • Mirtazapine
  • Kava
How often and how do you take Ketamine? I used to use it a lot when I was younger. I never noticed it impact my mood as far as depression or anything. Does it have any lasting effects beyond the 15-30 minutes k-hole?

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most effective antidepressants for me have been Adderall, Dexedrine, and Ritalin. The somewhat effective and less taboo antidepressants have been Celexa, Remeron, and lithium.
Weird, both Adderall and Ritalin just made me more depressed.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Citalopram nor Wellbutrin worked for me, high-dose magnesium for 2 weeks did (1200 mg). Nowadays I take 600mg a day and my depression probably won't ever come back.
Where do you get the magnesium, just a health food place? Who recommended it to you?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Alprazolam/Xanax for a wile had a mild euphoric effect but lately it seem to have the opposite effect, like a mild depressed felling,
I wonder if there something that I could take that's not a SSRI to counterbalance the downer effect of the Benzos ?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
How often and how do you take Ketamine? I used to use it a lot when I was younger. I never noticed it impact my mood as far as depression or anything. Does it have any lasting effects beyond the 15-30 minutes k-hole?
I haven't had any in a long time, but I sometimes did it 2-4 times a day, every day for 2 weeks. Other times, just every few days.

It seemed to lift depression rapidly in low doses, but this only lasted a few hours at most. I'd say all doses have the potential for antidepressant effects, but only low doses are at all useful unless you want to stare at a wall for an hour or two.

Also, tolerance builds up very rapidly to K, making its antidepressant effect potentially limited. Memantine could be an alternative.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Where do you get the magnesium, just a health food place? Who recommended it to you?
I did a lot of research myself, and Magnesium seems to be one of those supplements you really can't do without if you're having social anxiety and/or depression. It is important to get the right kind though; binded with some amino-acid, like taurine or glycine. I ordered my latest batch from the Internet, it is magnesium binded with an amino-acid mix. Gonna try and find magnesiumtaurinate the next time.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I did a lot of research myself, and Magnesium seems to be one of those supplements you really can't do without if you're having social anxiety and/or depression. It is important to get the right kind though; binded with some amino-acid, like taurine or glycine. I ordered my latest batch from the Internet, it is magnesium binded with an amino-acid mix. Gonna try and find magnesiumtaurinate the next time.
What makes Magnesium such a crucial supplement for SA?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts