Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor is just prescribing me SSRIs for my depression, but they don't work as the depression is just a side effect. I think I suffer from a kind of schizoid personality disorder...and it causes avoidant behaviour and anxiety.
So what meds should I take to get more energy, drive and motivation?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

From what I have read, motivation has more to do with dopamine than serotonin. Some of the more potent drugs that would increase motivation probably have abuse potential which may be why they aren't prescribed. Dopamine is associated with the pleasure system of the brain and is essential to motivation.

Serotonin is just part of the equation when it comes to depression. Even SSRI's indirectly affect levels of dopamine, which is part of the reason they take so long to work. I'm just a layperson, I don't really understand the science, but here's an interesting article about it.

http://www.mcmanweb.com/dopamine.html

The website has a lot of other good articles about mood disorders. The author is well-respected, from what I gather.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have big problems with motivation and energy, as well. That's why I am so interested in trying selegiline.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Wellbutrin increases levels of norepineprine & dopamine and can help with energy and motivation. The drug can be combined with SSRIs (eg. Escitalopram).

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have big problems with motivation and energy, as well. That's why I am so interested in trying selegiline.
Have you tried Wellbutrin? If you haven't you might want to try that before Selegiline. Just my personal experience, I've tried both in all doses even Selegiline as high as 25mg a day being completely unselective and I find wellbutrin 300mg to blow it out of the water. BUT the WB does increase anxiety, and in my case makes me very irritable and agitated, but it definitely does what it is meant for, (drive and motivation) as well as ADHD symptoms were improved. Is a great mix with an SSRI or benzo to offset all that anxiousness.

I will say though, while I haven't taken any real supplement doses of PEA while on Selegiline, I have consumed large amounts of chocolate while on it, and in that case while doing that the selegiline blows the wellbutrin away hands down.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) worked wonders for my drive. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a close second, followed by selegiline.

Selegiline is really nowhere near as good as it was hyped up to be. Rasagiline, now there's a substance I hold out hope for.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have tried WB, but I don't remember it doing much other than making me shake and lose my appetite. I've also tried Ritalin and it was great, but it's a CII (ohnoes!), so I have a better chance of getting selegiline, I think.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Rasagiline, now there's a substance I hold out hope for.
You can pass a drug test with Rasagiline, but why should it be better then Selegiline? On the other hand I have read very little about these drugs, hope you can bring light in the shadows of my lack of knowledge... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.