Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm a total noob at s/a meds, at times like In the bus I can't stop thinking about people looking at me and I need something to stare at without looking at someone, I just need something to cool me down and make me not worry about anything that can embarrass me or make me look stupid

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
If you go to any doc for SA you're going to get some SSRI, so at this point that question is moot. It doesn't matter at this point what med works best or which one you want -- you're getting an SSRI.

Either you go to a doc and get some SSRI, which is standard procedure. Or you don't go and get nothing. Or you stop at the store and pick up some booze to calm you down.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
SSRI > SNRI > Pregabalin > Klonopin > MAOI > Stimulant (+ Benzo). There are some options, but it all starts with an SSRI or SNRI.

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
^Medline mentions stimulants as a possible option. I fully agree with him that they can be effective in making one more social and should be used in the SA treatment of some patients, but does anyone here know of anybody who was prescribed an amphetamine for SA?

Sure they get them for ADD and in very rare cases depression that fails to respond to conventional treatment, but I've never once heard of any doc prescribe amphetamines for SA. If somebody is getting them specifically for SA or know of any case in which this has happened I'd be most interested in hearing about it.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I know it's very hard to get them without ADHD, but as we possibly agree in combination with eg. Klonopin they can make introverted persons act extroverted. In the UK you won't even get the Klonopin and many doctors feel uncomfortable prescribing MAOIs. It's just the schedule it should be IMHO.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
In no particular order:

• Several cans of beer
  • Benzos
  • GHB/GBL
  • SSRIs
  • SSRE (tianeptine)
  • MAOIs
  • Amisulpride (low dose)
  • Amphetamine
  • MDMA
  • Tryptophan
  • Opiates
  • Kava
  • Theanine
  • Inositol
  • Rhodiola
  • Barbiturates
  • A nice cup of poppy pod tea
  • Beta blockers

I could go on forever. Your first option will probably be an SSRI.

I like to use meds as "stepping stones" to better treatment. For example, if you have severe disabling SA, it wouldn't be so bad to have a few beers to get up the courage to go to your first doctor appointment and ask for a psychiatrist referral, which would lead to sustainable treatment (SSRI, MAOI, etc.). In my case, I took benzos to get a job and pay for better medication.

· Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
^Medline mentions stimulants as a possible option. I fully agree with him that they can be effective in making one more social and should be used in the SA treatment of some patients, but does anyone here know of anybody who was prescribed an amphetamine for SA?

Sure they get them for ADD and in very rare cases depression that fails to respond to conventional treatment, but I've never once heard of any doc prescribe amphetamines for SA. If somebody is getting them specifically for SA or know of any case in which this has happened I'd be most interested in hearing about it.
Yeah,I went to the pdoc 2 days ago subtly pushing for some Addearall to help with my fatigue,lack of motivation and,my general depression mixed w/my anxiety.Of coursse he said that Adderall could actually increase the anxiety even though I attempted to convince him for a very low dose but he wasn't having any of it.I ended up with a months sample of Modafinil.For the price it costs at least I felt I wasn't totally wasting my money on the visit.We'll see what it does.I haven't looked into what catagory of meds it's in.I also tried for a low dose of Selegiline which I thought he was ,about to script me until he looked drug interaction device and found it was countraindicated w/wellbutrin.Never mind that I was asking for a very low dose.So,he gave me a script for Buspar to titrate up to a realitivley high dose.I hope it doesn't turn out to be a sugar pill for me.The option of Lyrica was negated due to price.

· Registered
46 Posts

I'm prescribed Adderall. I actually opted this last time to get Vyvanse instead which is a more mild/smoother form of Adderall. The reason being is that Adderall gives a euphoric feeling for about 30 minutes where you will be the most motivated, sociable, happy person on the planet. I began to realize that I was timing my use of Adderall with social situations so I would be more outgoing. However, even though it may sound like a good idea, once the euphoria wears off you are left with 3-4 hours of incredible focus. During this 3-4 hour period I would get EXTREMELY anxious, anti-social, and also depressed (like I was watching myself). Also, my anxiety would get SO much worse when I walked around in public during this 3-4 hour focusing period. I felt that everybody was staring at me, my muscles would lock up somewhat and I would feel that I was walking awkwardly. I feel that way normally, but not to that extent.

Vyvanse releases the medicine more evenly into your system. So there is no real high and also no real downer. There is a mild high and a mild downer but nowhere near regular Adderall. I find myself sometimes timing the Vyvanse for social situations like I did with the Adderall but like I just said, its not as effective for a euphoria but thankfully it doesn't have as bad a crash either.

It works wonders for getting work done though. I also feel more mature when I take the medicine. Even though the Vyvanse is smoother, the results always seem to vary so I never really feel like I know what I'm getting. The medicines should not be prescribed for SA because the after effects make SA worse.

· Registered
679 Posts
I'm prescribed Adderall. I actually opted this last time to get Vyvanse instead which is a more mild/smoother form of Adderall.
Once again, just FYI and everyone else's, vyvanse is not time released adderall (75% d-amphetamine 25% L-amphetamine) but a different form of time released dexedrine (100% d-amphetamine).

As I mentioned in your other post I can definitely relate to your description of how adderall helps SAD and anxiety but makes it much worse almost simultaneously.

I don't feel as anxious on dexedrine (vyvanse) as I do on adderall either but it doesn't help as much with my focus and I feel like it makes me more irritable, or maybe adderall just helps make me less irritable somehow.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I know how some meds can give that pro-social push (dextroamphetamine, for example), but remember that a lot of the brain completely shuts down when in the grips of anxiety, and if you overcome that, you may find your ability to have interesting, fluid conversation is pretty normal.

I know a lot of SA people convince themselves they are boring and/or incapable of certain social activities, but this isn't true for most. Yes the anxiety might make it seem that way, but there are usually some people even the worst SAers feel comfortable around, and they could reach that level with everyone. Hey maybe even a beta-blocker would help test your natural social capacity.

· Registered
110 Posts

UltraShy - I am not getting Adderral for SA but I am getting it for drowsiness. I told the PD that the combination of Welbutrin and Paxil worked the best for my depression and SAD but I couldn't take them anymore because they made me too drowsy and I was sleeping to much. Which was the truth. She brought up Adderall.

I don't know that it helps my SAD directly, but I do find that it stimulates me which helps my depression and my SAD.

What RX are you on right now?

· Registered
679 Posts
And how is your quest for a stimulant going Ultra? Did you give up on the wellbutrin? I thought you said your doc would give you a stimulant if wellbutrin didn't work for you. Whats going on with that? You ever give coming off benzos a shot to see how that effects your response to any new meds?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.