Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got laid off in May and i am on unemployment until the middle of December. I want to get another job, but all jobs want good communication skills, etc. I am not good at communication skills because I get too much anxiety talking to people, let alone going on a job interview! I am curious as to what job/career paths you guys have right now if you have social anxiety?

I have been thinking about every kind of job out there, but for some reason I try to avoid the ones that deal with people. I am going to school and will get my BBA degree in May 2006 but I'm not sure what I will do with it when I get it!?! I've been thinking of truck driving as a last resort because I don't have to deal with too many people and the pay is decent; but I really don't know if I'd like being on the road.

Anybody in this position like me? Or similar?

I appreciate any help you can give me, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I work for UPS and it sux. But thats what Im gonna be eventually- a truck driver. I think I might get my CDL liscense next year. Im might still go to school for programming but that will require communication. I just don't have the will power. But if I pass my CDL test i'll be happy with that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you do for UPS? I have been going to school for what it seems like forever because I do not know what I want to go for. It's a sad story! But since I only have this and next semester left I will finish it even though my heart is not really in it.

I will then see what my options are, and hopefully my anxiety will go down because it's gotten worse after all these years because I don't know what I want my career to be!

I have been thinking in the back of my mind about getting a CDL but I will see how this college degree and anxiety shakes out when I graduate.

thanks for the response

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Ive got a college degree, but it doesnt even make a difference. I still cant get a job. I'm trying to become a electrician now. Blue collar is where I belong because I dont think I can survive in a corporate enviornment with all the crazy social nonsense they have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work in the Merchantile exchange as a clerk. Pay sucks but the people are generally cool and my position doesnt require much communication. Much better than working in an office environment imo.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I was let go in May of this year too and currently on unemployment till December. I think almost any job wants good communication skills or at least a little. Anyway, I need to start looking for another job before winter gets here. I don't wanna be going on interviews in the cold. I've been thinking about just temping for awhile to see how that goes. I'll try to fake it during interviews, at least, try to.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I live near Detroit. I'll probably get into clerical or something like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts