Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I really need some advice on this. What kind of doctor can you go to to *ensure* you get meds? All I want is Propranolol. I heard you should go to a physician as they give out pills the most (compared to family docs/etc.) Is this true? I dont want to go to a doctor for $100 bucks or whatever for the appointment, only to get a response 'go see a psychologist/counselor'. All I want is Propranolol, thats it. I've never been on any meds my entire life, never asked for any. Is there any way to know before spending $$$ on an appointment if the doc will give you anything?

I went to a doc in November 2008 (really trying to get beta blockers in a way, but I was still on the fence if I wanted the BB's then). Did a routine checkup, blood test. All came back perfect. I told the doc that I have a real problem with performance situations and I get a ton of anxiety in public speaking, and that me being in college and all, this is affecting my grades in terms of presentations, etc. And that I need some kind of help, like beta blockers, or something like that. She said public speaking anxiety is normal. She opened a folder and gave me a piece of paper saying "heres a list of counselors you should go see them for this issue". UGH. I DONT NEED COUNSELING! I just want to take the edge off my anxiety! Gimme something I can pop an hour before a presentation/performance situation so I dont suffer a near-death experience in front of the class!

I've been to a psychologist a year ago. I did like 12 sessions over 5 months. Ive done CBT. We've identified my core fear as being performance-based in social situations (so, I have SA, but I really only have SA, because I get anxious performing in social situations, eliminate the anxiety // the performance anxiety, and walaa, eliminate the social anxiety, so no more SA). My psychologist found I wasnt depressed (I already knew that, im not depressed, im in college, working towards goals, I have a job, im just anxious like crazy in social settings/performance situations). Hence, he never prescribed meds, we just did CBT. CBT helped a lot (reducing my anxiety by i'd say on average 30-50%, everyday its different, some days I feel 50% reduced, some days just 20% and pretty anxious, it varies).

Anyways, if anyone could offer some tips on this, how I can get propranolol (beta blocker), and who's my "best bet" to get it from (doctor wise or whatever), please please respond.

thanks!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Any GP/family practice doc should be willing to give you beta blockers. These aren't party drugs with any abuse potential. They're simply blood pressure meds. The only reason not to give them to someone is if they have asthma as beta blockers can provoke asthma attacks in those who already have asthma (I've used them plenty in the past and can assure you they don't in those who don't already have asthma). The only other reason I can think of for not giving out of beta blocker is if a patient already has excessively low blood pressure to begin with -- seems a bad idea to give a blood pressure lowering drug to somebody who's already on the low side to start with. Barring those issues, I can't think of any problem.

Beta blockers have been around for decades and have been very extensively used, so there is no question about their safety. You can even get various common beta blockers for $4 at Walmart for a 30 day supply (check their website -- they list their whole collection of cheapo generics).

I see no point in going to a psychiatrist. They charge $250+ an hour and this to get an exceedingly common pill that any GP should be willing to hand out? Doesn't make sense. If your doc says go to therapy stand your ground. You are the CUSTOMER. You are PAYING for this SERVICE and you should be SATISFIED. Make it clear what you want and if you don't get what you want make it clear that you are 100% DISSATISFIED. It's about time all the Dr. Gods get knocked off their high horses and brought down to mere mortal status.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is the difference between a GP/family doctor and a physician?

i thought they were the same? sorry i dont have good medical knowledge

If you want to be prescribed inderal, you should see another doctor and explain that you have taken them before, and that they were effective. Also mention that you have also been seeking help as much as possible such as counselling and therapy.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
What is the difference between a GP/family doctor and a physician?

i thought they were the same? sorry i dont have good medical knowledge

If you want to be prescribed inderal, you should see another doctor and explain that you have taken them before, and that they were effective. Also mention that you have also been seeking help as much as possible such as counselling and therapy.
In the US a physician would just be a synonym for doctor -- two worlds for the exact same thing.

In the US a General Practitioner (GP) is a generic doctor who covers everything, specializing in nothing. A Family Practice doctor is the same, a generic doc who covers everything, specializing in nothing with the "family" part thrown in the specify that he covers all ages including kids. (I guess not all docs like little snot monsters who bite, so they specify that biting snot monsters are welcome in their office by putting out toys for them.) So family practice literally deals with patients from cradle to grave.

Yeah, you could lie to a doc who doesn't know your history if you want. Nobody can stop you for doing that obviously. I personally would just go with the truth, but you're going to do what you want. I hardly think beta blockers are something where you need to lie to get what you want, but it's up to you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the advice/help really appreciate it.

" These aren't party drugs with any abuse potential. " Thanks for letting me know, that was one of the things I was concerned about, in that walking in there asking for meds, they may think im some druggie trying to get high or something like that. I agree I dont see the issue with BB's, its not like im asking for something that can be abused/is addictive/etc.

My blood pressure is pre-hypertensive and i'm low weight so its obviously heart/anxiety related so I dont see why they would refuse to give it to me. Except, for the ancient stupid excuse "its all in your head, go see a counselor". I will seriously be ticked.

" You can even get various common beta blockers for $4 at Walmart for a 30 day supply (check their website -- they list their whole collection of cheapo generics). "

I looked online earlier too and was shocked at how insanely cheap BB's are, its like the cost of herbal-meds for anxiety (St Johns/GABA/5HTP), literally on par with those prices.

" If your doc says go to therapy stand your ground. You are the CUSTOMER. You are PAYING for this SERVICE and you should be SATISFIED. Make it clear what you want and if you don't get what you want make it clear that you are 100% DISSATISFIED. It's about time all the Dr. Gods get knocked off their high horses and brought down to mere mortal status. "

Thats true, I just really hope I dont have to listen to the "get counseling, see a psychologist". Dont these people recognize that while doing so that may help, but its more less like putting a bandaid on the problem? Sheesh. Thing is with Doctors is they've likely given hundreds of presentations in their time through college/school/med school. For them, its a breeze, they dont understand what its like to get anxious like we do.

" If you want to be prescribed inderal, you should see another doctor and explain that you have taken them before, and that they were effective. "
" I personally would just go with the truth, but you're going to do what you want. I hardly think beta blockers are something where you need to lie to get what you want, but it's up to you. "

Thats a good idea, i'll try that but only as a last resort if everyone I try throws the "get counseling" crap at me, then i'll just starting lying about it. My plan originally was just to go in there and be straight up about it, "look, I get anxious in performance situations, my heart races, my palms sweat, my stomach hurts, my hands shake, my voice trembles", i'll throw in some things like "im in college right now, its causing me to get bad grades in presentations because I cant focus on what im presenting due to the physical symptoms being so strong". I'll tell them "I only came here because ive done some research, talked to some people, and I really want to get beta blockers, I think this will help dramatically". Etc.

I will check for some GP's/family docs in my area today, actually I think theres one about 5 minutes from where I live.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts