Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what types of jobs you all have? I'm currently looking for jobs but I can't seem to find anything I'm interested in that doesn't require a lot of socialization. For example I really like the idea of an academic lifestyle, or of working at a museum but I'm not sure how to do those things without talking to others. What do you all do?

Also, if you have any suggestions on how to get work while struggling with SAS let me know. I'd like the least amount of interaction with others possible....

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm an accounting assistant, it's well compensated and pretty limited social interaction. It sounds like a boring job, but it plays to my strengths which is research and figuring out numbers that have been screwed up, I enjoy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have a job either, and want one with little social interaction. I was thinking of Warehouse jobs, stocking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My last job was unloading trucks and stocking shelves.
Had to make small talk quite a bit, but if your working hard they usually leave you alone.

·
Trapped in my own head
113 Posts
I'm a programmer. There is some social interaction, but it's usually because I need clarification on something. As for jobs with little social interaction, you could try data entry or medical claims/billing processing. Some places will even let you do these jobs from home.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
I'm a programmer.
Yay... that's what I'll be when I grow up, provided my life doesn't just go down the ****ter :p

Somehow I managed to get a summer job last year. Through connections, you know ^_^.

It was... well it paid well, but SA and OCD and everything just made it far harder than it should have been. Never wanna go back, glad I tried something new though in retrospect but I couldn't imagine doing it again right now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I work at Panera Bread- dont do it! too much social interaction!!overload!!!

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I work at a bookstore, unpacking and stocking shelves with books. I never work the cash register, unless I have to. The manager is quite understanding and doesn't make me do any social interactions that I don't want to, which is mainly working the cash register.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use to work retail. The things I dreaded doing was asking for help and going into the breakroom. Somehow I managed to get my SA low enough to deal with customers. I remember on late nights when I had to close, the overnight stock people showed up. Didn't do that, but I'd assume there isn't as much social interaction involved.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I work at the customer service desk in retail. Mostly just ringing people up, but there are also some nasty returns and crap like that. I sort of go into outgoing mode, but it takes a piece of my soul away every time I work. This is only a part-time thing that I'm doing until I get my degree.

·
Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
I work in clothing retail, it's usually chill, but sometimes when they want me interact with every single person i n a crowded room, it can get a bit intimidating

1 - 17 of 17 Posts