Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bomb Diggity
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some people know by now. I move a lot due to my dad's job and la de da! Along with moving a lot though I'm not a completely confident person and I still suffer from SA I have still managed to accomplish quite a few things due to my lifestyle. With moving so much I am forced to experience new things and do things I usually never would..

It's not major things but they small things that I know will build up to bigger and greater things.

By moving to Utah and dealing with the unbearable heat I managed to shed my security blanket which was my oversized jacket that I hid under for so many years. I started to show off more of me and less of the girl I was before back in Washington state where I was raised. Soon as I started to shed my security blanket I started to take more notice into my appearance as in what I wore. Though it wasn't perfect and some things did not flatter me it was the thought that counted! I started to be less afraid and would show off the girly side to me. Also with the heat I learned wearing my hair down was not pleasant so along with that I started to put it up in my own cute ways and very soon I was feeling much better about myself. I started to do things I never really would've considered in my entire life because of the heat and everything. I'm quite proud of myself for it as well. I started to wear contacts and I socialized even though I didn't know anyone there..Try and find a reason to do these things even if it's silly..You could be with a group of friends and they're all dressed nice and such and maybe you just want to decide next time I'm out with them I'm going to dress nice too and once you do you would have pushed back that barrier of anxiety that stopped you before and you just have to make sure to keep your breathing even and stay calm because it may be past your comfort level but YOU WILL LIVE. Just try and focus on the fun and not so much on that.. If that even makes sense..

Soon enough these little steps were becoming a little bit bigger. I started to do more risky things like dying my hair. Wearing bright colors and trying out new things with my looks. I started to say thank you to people and actually trying to set up my own appointments which I would fight my mom about for hours because I was FAR too afraid. If you just put it in your mind that doing these things that flare up your anxiety won't kill you you feel so much better. It may not turn out exactly how you like and everything but you learn to get past it and try something new.

I know I'm not completely better but I've managed to improve myself by myself.. All I really had to do was push myself. I had to bite my tounge and just walk straight ahead and I'm glad I did.

I guess what I'm really saying is..
Even if you aren't going anywhere big at first try and take baby steps and eventually you will get to that point.

I may not love myself entirely but I can now try and look at myself and not see all the negative. All because of my effort. I kind of accept I'm not perfect and some days I may feel like a huge ugly failure.. but I stay hopeful and know one day I will be better.:yes

Keep the negative thoughts at bay as much as you can. Fill your mind with positive ones even if you don't believe it completely.. Soon enough you will though. If you just keep the flow going. :boogie

Try and dig deep to find the reasons behind your social anxiety and put some effort into improving them. I think there are reasons behind why people have social anxiety in my opinion even if those reasons are no longer true. Try and remember that you've changed since then or whatever and it's time for a new outlook. That part of you is gone and so is whatever that reason..:sus
There is nothing to really be afraid of.. Though i know it's easier said then done.. Just try and surround yourself with good things so you can ignore the things that bother you. Love and friends and family.. or even just a hobby.

I'm done blabbing now.:um

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you for this. Very wise, logical, and straightforward thinking. It really puts SA in perspective.

·
Explode or Implode
83 Posts
Try and dig deep to find the reasons behind your social anxiety and put some effort into improving them. I think there are reasons behind why people have social anxiety in my opinion even if those reasons are no longer true. Try and remember that you've changed since then or whatever and it's time for a new outlook. That part of you is gone and so is whatever that reason..:sus"
I thought that paragraph was especially true and insightful. SA is an adaptation to an old situation and the main reason it sticks is because the mind is a creature of habit, unwilling to let go of tactics that have worked in the past. Teach the old dog a new trick :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow, you are brave and wise beyond your years. I am very impressed. To think, it was the heat that was the initial tipping point for you. Amazing stuff.

Baby steps are key. I can't help but think of Bill Murray in What About Bob (sorry, this is probably an archaic reference to many of you). But it's true, i think we get overwhelmed with SA and forget that we have to break things apart into manageable steps.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Lots of great advice! Thanks for sharing

Try and dig deep to find the reasons behind your social anxiety and put some effort into improving them. I think there are reasons behind why people have social anxiety in my opinion even if those reasons are no longer true. Try and remember that you've changed since then or whatever and it's time for a new outlook. That part of you is gone and so is whatever that reason..
There is nothing to really be afraid of.. Though i know it's easier said then done.. Just try and surround yourself with good things so you can ignore the things that bother you. Love and friends and family.. or even just a hobby.
I fully agree

could be with a group of friends and they're all dressed nice and such and maybe you just want to decide next time I'm out with them I'm going to dress nice too and once you do you would have pushed back that barrier of anxiety that stopped you before and you just have to make sure to keep your breathing even and stay calm because it may be past your comfort level but YOU WILL LIVE. Just try and focus on the fun and not so much on that.. If that even makes sense..
It made sense :) I'm often nervous about taking social risks, but when I do I'm usually glad that I did. Even if you aren't successful, you sometimes get a feeling of accomplishment for giving it your best. And you're right you might feel anxious, but you will survive. If you can see the positives of learning from the experience, you might even benefit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts