Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gamer
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every other science fiction book I read has a reference to shyness in some way. One book I was reading talked how one of the characters was, "tight lipped to the point of autism". :roll

The book I'm reading now talks about how, ""Are you going to the Princess Louise tonight?"
A woman's voice. Anne from Small Businesses? He didn't turn to find out, he knew the question wasn't for him. People didn't talk to Graham Smith unless they had to. Or they were new. Before someone took them aside for a friendly chat, thinking themselves out of earshot, thinking that just because someone was quiet they must be deaf as well. But he'd heard them, heard the whispered warnings by the coffee machine. Don't bother with Graham, he'll never answer. I've worked here fifteen years and never got a word out of him. Don't get me wrong, he's not dangerous or anything. Just weird. Weird but harmless."

And that's not all of it this is just the first page of the book.

Is it me or do science fiction authors get the idea that people who are reading there books must be shy introverted people and so they write about shy characters on purpose?

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I can't say I've noticed that in particular. But let's be honest: people who write science fiction are reclusive, socially awkward nerds. People who read science fiction are reclusive, socially awkward nerds. So it makes sense that the characters in science fiction would be reclusive, socially awkward nerds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts