Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain what all this "cloud" talk is all about?

·
Banned
3,884 Posts
Online storage, I believe. But only a few companies use them right now like apple. (I think amazon about to use it too?) But basically If you have a macbook/iphone/ipad you'll be able to play & save your music from "the cloud" without saving it to your computer or phone hard drive once you buy them form iTunes. I think windows and 1-2 google phones might be cloud capable too but I'm not %100 sure.

that would be useless for me though because i never buy music/movies legally :b
oh the game system "onlive" use cloud too. It's really confusing to me lol.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohhhh, okay, it's just to do with storage. thanks for that, I was much more confused than you!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It's a way for corporations and the Feds to see what kind of files you have and access...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Clouds aren't just for storage, they can run programs too. Instead of you buying some software or a game and installing it on your computer you could just use it through the cloud. Microsoft is thinking about putting its office suite on a cloud. There is a good chance a lot of companies will start using clouds for their software because it almost completely gets rid of piracy and it is easier to develop the software. They don't have to make software work for a bunch of different computer setups. They just have to make it work on the cloud and anyone can use it with no problems(in theory).

·
Registered
287 Posts
From what I understand, the cloud is really when you access pretty much anything and use computer hardware from over the internet in a bunch of decentralized locations.

It's sort of conceptualized as this fuzzy cloud dealy, where you send your information and what you want over the internet and it gets processed and worked on in the "cloud" then gets sent back to you so you can see it on your computer.

It basically means that all your computer needs is an internet connection and I guess minimal CPU, graphics etc. and work fine. As the good hardware can be physically stored and maintained by bigger companies like Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, and you just pay for access (or get it free) as you need it.

Amazon Web Services was the first thing that I remember hearing about Cloud computing and basically you can 'rent' servers and whatever you need from some warehouse of Amazon computers and use their computers for your work. It's good in research if you need a lot of computer power for a short time, so you don't have to waste money buying a bunch of computers for a one time use. Hopefully some of that made sense.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when there is alot of pressure, h2o is produced and the cloud "rains"
ah yes, I see. I could "rain" blows down upon you, smartass.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah, ok. this is starting to make sense now. A less cloudy picture is forming. Thanks for all your responses, peeps.

Sounds to me like the long term view some places may be hoping for is there will be a constant monthly payment, much like what we all pay for our internet connections now, as well as subscription television etc.

People will get used to this sort of access and consider it an everyday necessity for living, hence many subscriptions, competing companies (I say competing, but it will be level for the most part, pricewise) and yes, privacy will certainly be an issue that will continue to heat up.

From what I understand, the cloud is really when you access pretty much anything and use computer hardware from over the internet in a bunch of decentralized locations.

It's sort of conceptualized as this fuzzy cloud dealy, where you send your information and what you want over the internet and it gets processed and worked on in the "cloud" then gets sent back to you so you can see it on your computer.

It basically means that all your computer needs is an internet connection and I guess minimal CPU, graphics etc. and work fine. As the good hardware can be physically stored and maintained by bigger companies like Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, and you just pay for access (or get it free) as you need it.

Amazon Web Services was the first thing that I remember hearing about Cloud computing and basically you can 'rent' servers and whatever you need from some warehouse of Amazon computers and use their computers for your work. It's good in research if you need a lot of computer power for a short time, so you don't have to waste money buying a bunch of computers for a one time use. Hopefully some of that made sense.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
An example I can toss out personally is the Steam platform. It saves game settings, saves and the likes on their servers, so when you install a game from another computer everything should be set up like it was on the first one. (Only certain games however)

Penguin has a good idea of it, however that's just the computing side. Stuff like Apple's iCloud and my previous example is a storage thing, moreso so you can access your stuff from more than your main computer.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An example I can toss out personally is the Steam platform. It saves game settings, saves and the likes on their servers, so when you install a game from another computer everything should be set up like it was on the first one. (Only certain games however)

Penguin has a good idea of it, however that's just the computing side. Stuff like Apple's iCloud and my previous example is a storage thing, moreso so you can access your stuff from more than your main computer.
ok, so to summarize to see if I have this right:

like web-based email, and like having your entire hard drive, whatever you may have stored on it-
say you are at great aunt maizie's house for thanksgiving, and you know great aunt maizie refuses to have anything to do with computers, so you bring your laptop with you, but you don't have to have everything - your games, your movies, music, etc etc on it too, you just bring it and go to starbucks down the street and wirelessly connect to internet and login, say, to youreverything.com, go to your account, and voila, there's your BenchPressKill3 game that you are in the middle of, the latest INtended For Single Use Only album you just downloaded from wherever, all your itunes stuff, etc etc?

is that the general idea?

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool, I got it. finally.

so, what's the advantage here? just not having to download a bunch of stuff to your finite-capacity hard drive? potentially unlimited storage? No more USB drives, etc? For, say, 24.95 a month? Perhaps eventual elimination of the "tower"? interesting.

·
(.*?)
6,794 Posts
I believe it's for active people with 'lives' who are always on the go and own various mobile devices and wake up in a different city every day. These people like to be able to access their data/music/whatever from their smartphone wherever they've ended up today, not having to sync to their desktop in advance since they rarely go home. Money is of course no object since they're high flying go-getters.

That's the consumer perspective cloud. There's also the business side of the cloud, which is pretty much marketingese that makes it trendy for a business to use gmail or google docs or whatever instead of desktop applications for those purposes.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Yes, that makes sense. I think you're right. however, as our society is trained to do, everyone will think that because that is a luxury that the haves, well, have, that they should have it too. Like blackberries. or iphones. I bet you ten to one that in the near future everyone who has a 'puter will want a scrip to such a service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts