Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People with SA seem to all have quite different 'symptoms', e.g. what one person might find terrifying, another might find easy. So I was wondering what it is we are all worried about, and what situations we get the most anxious in? I'll start:

My thoughts are usually "I won't know what to say", "people are looking at me", "I can't do this by myself", or "I'm going to sound stupid". I get most anxious in situations where I have to speak to people in authority or to groups, being watched while working, and having to do new things without support/reassurance.

...hmmm, I'm feeling kind of anxious about starting this thread! What if you all think I'm stupid???? :D

·
Loser
207 Posts
Public speaking or performance are the worst. When I had to give a presentation or we did a stage play I just skipped school. If I had no chance I did it bathed in sweat, shaking, heart racing, stuttering. I'm afraid to make a fool of myself, being judged negatively, being observed, that people look down on me and think I'm stupid.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Being around a group of people that will judge/laugh at me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Group projects :/

Whenever one is announced, I get really, really worked up because everyone else always seems to have their groups decided beforehand and I have... nobody. In the rare occurance that someone does asks me to join their group I feel as if I'm either intruding, being pitied upon, or not good enough / won't be up to their standards when I know for a fact that I can produce quality work. Whenever there's even the possibility of working alone I jump at it, even if it requires many times the amount of effort to complete.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Group projects :/

Whenever one is announced, I get really, really worked up because everyone else always seems to have their groups decided beforehand and I have... nobody. In the rare occurance that someone does asks me to join their group I feel as if I'm either intruding, being pitied upon, or not good enough / won't be up to their standards when I know for a fact that I can produce quality work. Whenever there's even the possibility of working alone I jump at it, even if it requires many times the amount of effort to complete.
I feel pretty much exactly like that.

For the past several weeks now I've been meaning to organize some group projects but I just can't do it :|

And every opportunity passes me by until it seems it's too late. FFS, it's been tormenting me every day for almost a month now. I've thought many times that doing twice as much on my own would be about 10 times easier.

It's such a ****ing mess. It's completely unfair. Just because it's something that most people don't even spare a thought about doesn't mean it's not downright horrific for some. The whole project then becomes an exercise in social skills with the actual project making up a tiny portion of the overall difficulty and probably not having enough time actually devoted to that.

Even if I am on my own I can't think properly on the computers in college.

I've felt terrible for weeks now. This must be my lowest point in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Public speaking or performance are the worst. When I had to give a presentation or we did a stage play I just skipped school. If I had no chance I did it bathed in sweat, shaking, heart racing, stuttering. I'm afraid to make a fool of myself, being judged negatively, being observed, that people look down on me and think I'm stupid.
I did the same thing in school, which is probably why I ended up not finishing college. Boy am I regretting that one now. I'm probably at my worst when I'm alone with someone I don't know well (which is almost everyone). I have a hard time keeping a conversation going. In a group it's a little easier because I can sort of fade into the background and let the others talk.

·
Lost
342 Posts
Hey your thread is cool, i like it.

I'm usually like: "they won't understand what I'm saying" "they'll think that i'm saying is stupid" "i can't be bothered, whats the point in trying" "i have nothing to say" "my life sux and you'll make fun of me"...thats talking to friends or acquaintances

"they are looking at me" "do they think im weird" "why does everyone hate me" "i dont know what to say to this person" "my voice sounds funny" "this person doesn't like me"...thats talking to someone i dont really know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being put in a situation where I don't know anybody and everyone around me appears to know other people. I usually end up either finding something to read (pretty much anything will do) or just escaping. If I can't do either of those things, I sit/stand there feeling more and more anxious, which of course makes me a blithering idiot if anyone does speak to me.
Then, afterwards, I spend all my time analyzing anything I may have said and wondering what people thought, and getting depressed about it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
for normal stuff, walking down a hallway with someone i sorta know at the other end, walking towards me. thats bad. also, sometimes speaking to someone i don't know directly. its fine if its like a casual conversation at the register, although i never don't initiate. any more formal than that, and i get nervous

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finished work, and I reluctantly go out to the local diner w my mom...all of a sudden I feel like the papparrazi are there and taking notes, people come up to me and say hello Jay...And I really dont know who the f they are(due living life in a blackout for 7 yrs.) on top of all this, itz more of a feeling that im being or going to be attacked verbally, or physically, and I enter into fight or flight mode, legs start moving, heads on the swivel, and appetite gone! I;ll knock down all the pins on an interview though??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts