Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some common answers are to love and be loved (whatever that means), to avoid loneliness, to have someone to talk to, share with. Hell, I don't know a lot of them as I haven't had many friendships nor lovers.

I realize that people are people. And when dealing with them you are gonna get what they are. And most people, including myself, are screwed up. It's like we want to go out and have fun and easy relationships when this just doesn't seem possible unless it is two psychologically or emotionally mature/healthy people. Or two people working on becoming more mature and psychologically healthy. When you are working on it and the you know the other person is working on it, you can accept that the person is human and vice versa. Even enjoy it.

But I don't know. I just don't see the point of going out and collecting a bunch of a-holes, calling them friends/lovers and watch the fireworks. And there will be fireworks. Then repeat til I'm too old or dead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As you get older, you'll find that it's harder to form "trusting" relationships with people. This is why it's important that you maintain and nurture the older ones. It's easier to be around people who have grown with you, rather than form new friendships/bonds with people who are just getting to know you, know nothing about your past.

Very few people understand my personality (which is come and go), because they don't have history with me. My husband is an exception, because he is enlightened, very open minded and zen... so he is rare and I'm lucky. As far as forming other relationships and making "friends" I have no interest whatsoever. I have my childhood and pre adult friends that I'm content with having, because I know their history, they know mine and I don't have to worry about surprises with them or having to explain a lot of my quirky behavior... they just know me.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Fundamentally: To increase the chances of survival through pooling the resources and knowledge of individuals, social groups and networks, and accessing them; to increase the chances of reproduction; to increase the chances of offspring surviving to reproductive age.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can provide for myself and I don't want kids so I guess I'm out. And I've lost my old friends. I better get used to being alone. I don't feel so bad, even people who have raised children end up in old folks homes.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I think part of relationships is to grow as a person. Not everything in a relationship is fun or easy, there's a lot of sacrifice and compromise. By rising to the occasion where you need to do something that's not just for fun, you become a better person. For example a friend of mine one time got really drunk, he needed someone to drive him home but his car was still with him. So he called me and I helped him and his wife get him and his car home. It wasn't fun, but I was able to grow as a person by experiencing something with another person I wouldn't experience normally.

Another thing is with relationships you can do stuff that you can't do alone. I can play chess on the computer with some program, but it's not the same as playing with a person.

I do agree though most relationships are hard. I've found that the last couple of friendships I've had have been more work than they are worth. Friendships require sacrifice from both people, if one person isn't willing to compromise then they are basically just using you for their own enjoyment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts