Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having a discussion with a friend about how it is a cruel world out their and a person has to be tough and take care of themselves because basically no one else really gives a s about you. Agree with that worldview? Made me think about following questions as well.

What is the most nice or amazing thing that a person has done for you?

What is the most mean or cruel thing that a person has done to you?

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
I won't give examples of what people have done for me - but the good things have certainly out-weighed the bad. I'd say to your friend if he looks for cruelty in the world he'll most certainly find it - but the opposite is also true.

I've always been of the opinion that people are inherently decent. If you go around expecting trouble though you'll most likely find it.

·
😒🤡
6,186 Posts
Worst thing someone has done to me was choke me, slam my body on the floor, hit my head on the wall and threatened me with a gun. Think I have memory problems because of it and every now and then I have a hard time swallowing. And then there's the times I got bullied.

My mother has done nice things for me. She takes me out for food without me paying. I can't think of anything other than the things she has done for me. Well, my sister bought me a nice necklace for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worst thing someone has done to me was choke me, slam my body on the floor, hit my head on the wall and threatened me with a gun. Think I have memory problems because of it and every now and then I have a hard time swallowing. And then there's the times I got bullied.

My mother has done nice things for me. She takes me out for food without me paying. I can't think of anything other than the things she has done for me. Well, my sister bought me a nice necklace for Christmas.
Sorry you went through the guy choking and assaulting you like that. Bullying as well. Anyway other then your direct family ever do anything nice for you? If not that is very disappointing. I will do something nice for you by saying Im sorry you went through that in the past.

·
😒🤡
6,186 Posts
Sorry you went through the guy choking and assaulting you like that. Bullying as well. Anyway other then your direct family ever do anything nice for you? If not that is very disappointing. I will do something nice for you by saying Im sorry you went through that in the past.
Yea, it was actually my dad that did it unfortunately. Thanks for the kind words. :)

I dont know if I can think of anyone outside of my immediate family. This older woman I knew wanted to be friends with me and offered me free things but her husband seemed pretty off and weird to me and it made me feel uncomfortable. So I had to quit seeing her. Haven't heard from her since January of last year, which is a good thing. I kind of thought it was weird she offered to buy me an expensive ring, though. But it was still nice to be offered stuff in general. Feel kind of bad for her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice: Gentleman stranger buying me items just because I was behind him & likely thought I was attractive

Mean: Everyone that throws my anxiety in my face and let me know I'm not normal enough for them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
I think it would probably make me paranoid if anyone was ever overly nice to me. And of course, that is because of how rotten most of the people I have ever been around actually were. That isn't to say that anyone has really ever done anything super mean to me. In the grand scheme of things, I have heard of people doing much meaner things to other people than anything anyone has done to me.

A bunch of guys attacked me for no reason at a local mall when I was in my teens (and it was scary as hell). But again, many people have probably been through much worse than that. I don't think they were going to do much more than kick my butt real good but I don't know that for a fact. I got away from them and the cops didn't catch all of them so I don't know if any of them were armed. Just walking down the sidewalk between the mall doors and the movie theater and a fist just came out of nowhere.

Assorted other things. School bullies are always mean but my bullies were pretty typical. Anyone who was ever bullied probably had either about the same bully experience or worse.

I've been pretty lucky in not having exceptionally mean things done to me.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I won't give examples of what people have done for me - but the good things have certainly out-weighed the bad. I'd say to your friend if he looks for cruelty in the world he'll most certainly find it - but the opposite is also true.

I've always been of the opinion that people are inherently decent. If you go around expecting trouble though you'll most likely find it.
IMO - a very good post.

·
SAS Member
728 Posts
After finishing high school I was looking for work and receiving a job seeker allowance. I worked at my local Salvation Army as part of my obligation to be able to receive the payment and this man encouraged me to get my driver's licence and even offered to pay for lessons. He bought me lunch one time as well.

I would say that is the nicest gesture a stranger has done for me.

Meanest is people treating me disrespectfully and less than a person because of the way I look. It's a reflection on them but it still chips away at me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts