Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By that I mean what is a major that doesn't require taking a Speech class and/or classes that require giving oral presentations. And of course, I'd like this major to be able to lead me to a job that requires little social interaction and people skills...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You should study something you will enjoy. University courses will always require presentations. Within the years it takes to complete a degree and find work, you could vastly improve in treatment of your SA. Then you're stuck with a degree you chose for all the wrong reasons.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Here's a better idea: Improve your social skills and work on overcoming your fear of public speaking. You'll never reach your potential if you're more driven by a desire to avoid pain than to experience joy. SAD is something you can overcome by changing your attitude. This is your life; be the star of your life. You are not here on earth to live up to someone else's expectations.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a better idea: Improve your social skills and work on overcoming your fear of public speaking. You'll never reach your potential if you're more driven by a desire to avoid pain than to experience joy. SAD is something you can overcome by changing your attitude. This is your life; be the star of your life. You are not here on earth to live up to someone else's expectations.
Did I ask for an alternative to avoiding social contact? No, I didn't. I won't be able to improve my social skills. If you don't know the answer to my question then don't answer it by telling me something I don't want to hear. Sorry if I'm being mean but this upsets/irritates me a lot when people do this.

And to be honest I won't enjoy anything. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and I'm very indecisive/bored as far as that goes. The only reason I want to go to college is so that I can support myself, I don't care if it's something I'll enjoy, because I won't enjoy anything.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I haven't heard of a post-secondary institution that doesn't require some kind of generic 'communications' type course(s) in order to graduate (regardless of what your major is).

If this is going to be a serious hang-up for you, you might consider seeing your doctor and going through the school's disability office to see if they'll work with you in finding alternative ways for credit towards presentations and any other triggering assignments (some will let you do an essay assignment instead, or present in front of just the teacher instead of the whole class - that type of thing).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't heard of a post-secondary institution that doesn't require some kind of generic 'communications' type course(s) in order to graduate (regardless of what your major is).

If this is going to be a serious hang-up for you, you might consider seeing your doctor and going through the school's disability office to see if they'll work with you in finding alternative ways for credit towards presentations and any other triggering assignments (some will let you do an essay assignment instead, or present in front of just the teacher instead of the whole class - that type of thing).
Okay, thanks.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts
Did I ask for an alternative to avoiding social contact? No, I didn't. I won't be able to improve my social skills. If you don't know the answer to my question then don't answer it by telling me something I don't want to hear. Sorry if I'm being mean but this upsets/irritates me a lot when people do this.

And to be honest I won't enjoy anything. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and I'm very indecisive/bored as far as that goes. The only reason I want to go to college is so that I can support myself, I don't care if it's something I'll enjoy, because I won't enjoy anything.
Employers these days value experience over degree's, so in all honesty unless you know what you want to do the only thing a degree is going to help get you is a ton of debt.

I don't think there are any degree's that work well for people with SA, even mine in games art which was largely computer based we had to do presentations semi frequently and working with other's. Degree's, no matter the subject will usually incorporate basic skills that almost all employers look for: communication and team work. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I think it's important that you know that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Employers these days value experience over degree's, so in all honesty unless you know what you want to do the only thing a degree is going to help get you is a ton of debt.

I don't think there are any degree's that work well for people with SA, even mine in games art which was largely computer based we had to do presentations semi frequently and working with other's. Degree's, no matter the subject will usually incorporate basic skills that almost all employers look for: communication and team work. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I think it's important that you know that.
So basically I just shouldn't go to college. No, this is what I want to hear, thank you. I just don't want to hear that being social is a "skill" I can learn.

·
░░░░░░░&
1,042 Posts
Im currently majoring for something I seem to like (Graphic Designer) and haven't taken any speech classes yet or anything. I also decided to go this route since I've heard that you can either be working for a company or be self-employed and work from home. Don't know about any other majors where very little social interaction is required

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Math, physics, geology, chemistry, many human biology programs, as long as they are not applied-type programs. This is more likely the case in very large universities like the one I went to, I think. I quit many programs because of required oral presentations but in my first degree (B.Sc.), I had no presentations whatsoever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts