Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I buy a card I just want to make sure that I get the best. I am planning on purchasing an ATI x850 I heard that is the top of the line at the moment. Also is right now a good time to be buying a video card, as in is their going to be another card that will come out in a month that will totaly blow this one away? Also I only have AGP I don't have PCIe. Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have the money to spend on a top of the line video card, I recommend the nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX

This is brand, brand new released June 22 (read the press release here), and completely blows everything away

It retails at just about $600. Unfortunately, it only comes in PCI Express. No word on whether or not it will come in an AGP version unfortunately...

If I had the money, I would definately upgrade to a 64-bit system with a PCI Express slot and get this card. If you don't quite have that much money, I'd go with the GeForce 6800 Ultra, but that's just my personal opinion. I like the Nvidia's much more than the ATI's.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
There will always be a better card that comes out a month after you buy one. I bought a Minolta Dimage Z1 digital camera (3.2 mp & 10x optical zoom). A month and a half later I found the 4mp version for the same price.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I generally try to buy whatever card costs around 1/2 as much as the current top of the line. Usually its nowhere near 1/2 as slow and that leaves you money for other things or the next upgrade later on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey guys, what do you think about GeForce 6600 GT, 128 MB? I want something cutting-edge, to last me at least two or three years without an upgrade. I've been told there are better graphics cards, but they cost almost twice as much as this one. Would buying it seem reasonable?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
the 6600gt is probably the best card for the performance and price. It is better than the 9800pro for a small price increase but not as great as the top of the line stuff out now.... but 300-400 bucks cheaper. With graphics cards, in my opinion, it isn't worth buying the best card they have out because the performance increase you are going to get doesn't offset the price and the fact that it will be knocked from the top in 1-6 months time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Planewalker said:
Hey guys, what do you think about GeForce 6600 GT, 128 MB? I want something cutting-edge, to last me at least two or three years without an upgrade. I've been told there are better graphics cards, but they cost almost twice as much as this one. Would buying it seem reasonable?
That is what I bought in December. Maybe there is a better buy by now I'm not sure. You get get a 128MB 6800 for around $50 more than a 6600 GT which at the time I bought mine was like more like $150+ more. Overpriced at the time but maybe not now?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The optimal price point is $200. Less than that, and the feature cuts may be a problem with the newest games. More than that, and the price/performace ratio drops of very rapidly.

Just my two cents :)

-Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts