Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I know about this med? Anybody been on it? I was prescribed it for anger and depression in the evening. If this med dont help me- I am taking a hammer to it!

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Doxepin is a horrible drug. It has anticholinergic effects that will feel a bit like having Alzheimer's. If you just want a sedative drug, that part comes from its histamine-blocking effect and the same happens with mirtazapine, only it doesn't make you stupid as a side-effect.

I too would be angry if I was prescribed an anticholinergic in the year 2009. We need to do the OPPOSITE to that!

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Topamax is in a whole different class of drugs (antiepileptics). Doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant, which will make you drowsy and most likely cause several unpleasant side-effects, dependent on dose and body weight. Trazodone (Desyrel) would have been a better choice

Edit: I read in the other thread you got just 10mg prescribed, so it probably won't do much or any bad/good at all, let's see.

· Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:: It didn't do anything but make me drowsy and I guess I was so drowsy that I couldn't think about being depressed. This med has been dismissed. I am thinking about taking a hammer to it. But it could be helpful to me when I am manic so I might keep it around for that. Otherwise I have rejected it. NEXT!

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Interesting that just 10mg made you so drowsy, I barely feel (felt) 25-50mg at night.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
I just obtained a bottle of 30x100mg doxepin. I might try it out as a sleep aid.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I would always prefer Trazodone over sedating TCAs like Doxepin for sleep because it has a better side effect profile IMHO.

· Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My best friend said she was taking Trazodone and she seemed really happy and confident. Maybe that is what I need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.